Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+75
Scurrilous Straggler
Encore
ExplodingPenguin
SadPanda
UmbasaOtter
Derpwraith
Latitoast
User1
Dibsville
EarthScraper
BeeSeaEss
NPCWhiteMage
Noob-of-Artorias
SpecialNewb
vatar5
Myztyrio
Emergence
Animaaal
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Hue
lalliman
Djem
sciicers
PlasticandRage
hey its andres
dormancy
XachAttack
Juutas
XKnightArtoriasX
EeAyEss
Icegodzilla
Rynoa
Artoriasflagg
Rarayn
Sergeant Soy
PaPaSmVrf
Rudmed
SEANB240
The_Flail
bmurn
Silver Knight
FinPeku
User
Viral Enki
RNsunbro
Keyz Kage
sean1230
ICEFANG
barrywilkins
swordiris
mr.lucaslion1000
dianaduh
RaynexFall
Darkson
ublug
roanispe
Scirvir
fearandwhiskey
callipygias
Serious_Much
BLA1NE
Reaperfan
Tolvo
befowler
Anchises
Quarik
Shabbalaba
cloudyeki
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Shkar
DoughGuy
FattyOfDoom
Federally
Lancelot
skarekrow13
79 posters

Completely useless facts I find interesting

Shabbalaba
    Shabbalaba
    Regular
    Regular

Completely useless facts I find interesting - Page 4 Empty Re: Completely useless facts I find interesting

Post by Shabbalaba Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 pm

@DoughGUY - woah - i never knew that.

Do you happen to know how many nationalities there are to choose from and how many different colors there are of those nationalities....after re-reading that prior to posting that sounded kind of confusing what im getting at is there 7 different hollowed colors ?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Completely useless facts I find interesting - Page 4 Empty Re: Completely useless facts I find interesting

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:53 pm

I think there are 10. If I recall correctly SunBro was testing runs with one nationality tied to a starting class and covenant. The deprived was no covenant to make ten runs.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm

DoughGuy wrote:Your skin colour as a hollow changes depending on your nationality.

No, it changes based on your skin color as a human. So custom skin colors not associated with a default setting also give you different skin tones as a hollow
    Scirvir

Post by Scirvir Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:25 pm

The Morning Star has two different descriptions. One has 'A' spike coming out of the pommel, and is a thrust weapon, the other says ' Spikes' coming out of the pommel, and is a strike weapon. Not sure where the different one came from, but I am gonna keep an eye on it on my next playthrough. Possibly the one behind firelink is different..? I remember reading a cool theory of the treasure back there belonging to Petrus for all his shifty doings.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Theoretically, you can block dead-angles by unlocking, and looking away from your opponent when they do too. However, the timing, prediction, and sheer skilled required for this 'technique' is so great, that there is no reason not have utterly dominated your opponent before the situation actually arises to do this. Just to compare it, you require a higher level of ability to do this mechanical novelty than the 'insta-block' for no actual benefit. If you knew your opponent was going to dead-angle, then you should have got a backstab instead.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Scirvir wrote:The Morning Star has two different descriptions. One has 'A' spike coming out of the pommel, and is a thrust weapon, the other says ' Spikes' coming out of the pommel, and is a strike weapon. Not sure where the different one came from, but I am gonna keep an eye on it on my next playthrough. Possibly the one behind firelink is different..? I remember reading a cool theory of the treasure back there belonging to Petrus for all his shifty doings.

Interesting, do you know if the thrust version benefits from the leo ring?
    Scirvir

Post by Scirvir Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Couldn't tell you. The description seems to be the only thing different. The moveset for both are identical. Don't know if it was an oversight, or it is somehow connected to some part of the Rhea plot, if the treasure behind Firelink is indeed Petrus' hidden stash. Gonna clip Petrus tonight I think, and see what version Morning Star he drops.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Scirvir wrote:Couldn't tell you. The description seems to be the only thing different. The moveset for both are identical. Don't know if it was an oversight, or it is somehow connected to some part of the Rhea plot, if the treasure behind Firelink is indeed Petrus' hidden stash. Gonna clip Petrus tonight I think, and see what version Morning Star he drops.
    Petrus doesn't drop any weapons.

Normal Upgrade Path:
    Hammer with a sharp spike on its pommel. One of the more barbaric cleric weapons.
    Uniquely, this hammer inflicts thrust damage, and causes bleeding.

All Other Upgrade Paths:
    Hammer with sharp spikes on its pommel. One of the more barbaric cleric weapons.
    The effect of these spikes makes this strike-based weapon also cause bleeding.

Thanks. Even though it's useless, this fact is still too good to be posted in this thread.

And a thread contribution: If you hit the log behind the petrified blacksmith in the garden, it will turn into nice pieces of chopped firewood.
    Scirvir

Post by Scirvir Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Good. One less thing to look into.

When you upgrade a Bandit's Knife, they drop 'Bandit' from the name.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 am

None of those damned blacksmiths have an actual forge besides the Mr. Fire himself...
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:05 am

If you parry or BS a barbarian during an attack animation thhe attack will stop but the sound of the club hitting the ground will still sound.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:31 am

The statues around DOlins tomb are flat.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:33 am

Do you mean 2d or chested?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 am

The fronts are perfectly flat, but they stick out from the wall.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 am

That is interesting. Seems odd especially with the care put into every other statue
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:05 am

skarekrow13 wrote:That is interesting. Seems odd especially with the care put into every other statue

Go to the O&S fog door, to the left and right are statues that appear to be set into the panels on either side. They're also flat 2D images that give the perception of depth. It's obviously technical limitations that forced these things.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 am

Actually its not neccesarily. The gate in the catacombs with the names on it has letters that look like they have depth, but are actually flat. So when it goes to PC you cant change the txtures to read the words easily.
    Shabbalaba
    Shabbalaba
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Shabbalaba Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Its called 'Normal Mapping' or 'Bump Mapping'

Thru the use of this texture 'layer', the GPU (graphics processing unit - aka 'graphics card') will add fake 'depth' to a 2-dimmesional image so it looks as if its 3-dimmensional.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Yeah, bump mapping simulates surface irregularities that aren't actually in the object's geometry, idk how exactly it works, I think it layers different textures and greyscales or something. It gives the illusion of a flat surface having complex geometry, unless you look at it at a very steep angle. There is some bump mapping going on almost every texture in the game.

But I wonder why they didn't bump map (?) the crawling bugs texture (in the catacombs and starting cell). If you zoom in at them it just looks a bit cheap. (look what I'm complaining about...)
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Darkson wrote:Yeah, bump mapping simulates surface irregularities that aren't actually in the object's geometry, idk how exactly it works, I think it layers different textures and greyscales or something. It gives the illusion of a flat surface having complex geometry, unless you look at it at a very steep angle. There is some bump mapping going on almost every texture in the game.

But I wonder why they didn't bump map (?) the crawling bugs texture (in the catacombs and starting cell). If you zoom in at them it just looks a bit cheap. (look what I'm complaining about...)

It has to all be related to technical limitations. Bump mapping isn't free resource wise, its simply an efficient way to make a 2D image appear to be 3D, it still requires added resources. And the examples you bring up look good viewed the way they should be, they just don't stand up to close inspection which is the same with most graphics in the generation.
    RaynexFall
    RaynexFall
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RaynexFall Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 pm

I have no real useless facts for this thread, i just wanted to add to the 2d/depth part, take the image below, cross your eye's where the guy in the middle is overlapping, and you get a 3d image. the same thing could technically be applied to a game for cheap effects.

Completely useless facts I find interesting - Page 4 EvilDark-Stereoscopy
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Would we have to cross or eyes the whole time :drunken:

Edit: lol ok that's pretty cool but makes me dizzy
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 am

Darkson wrote:But I wonder why they didn't bump map (?) the crawling bugs texture (in the catacombs and starting cell). If you zoom in at them it just looks a bit cheap. (look what I'm complaining about...)
    The worst offender I've spotted is in the Depths. In the Giant Rat's room, there's a pile of skulls and bones in a corner... just looks like a bump with a skulls and bones patterned wallpaper on it! I spotted it when I was standing on it to take a picture of one of my toons:

Spoiler:
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah, it's that pile where you land on when you jump down that hole behind the butcher, right? I completely agree, also wondered why they did not bump map/made it more detailed. I mean, after you killed the butcher you are supposed to jump down there and land on it and be like "oh snap, that's where the butcher throws in the remaining bones of his victims". But I always just saw it as a random pile of sewer filth or something, actually only lately I realized what it is supposed to be as I looked closer. For it is supposed to resemble a pile of bones it just looks completely awful.
    Shabbalaba
    Shabbalaba
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Shabbalaba Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Bump mapping Is less expensive than the 3D models - for example the hi-polygon count on the characters is very heavy on file size and gettjng the game to run at an acceptable FPS (the more **** going on, the more the Computer needs to 'work'

So usually AAA game devs will use bump mapping on not so important objects or "static props"...meaning they do not move - (helps conserve the 'allowances' that are set for the project at hand.

Example:

User interface devs will have an allowance of say 420MB - they usually can do whatever they want (as long as its been approved)

Character artists - theyll have a "polygon limit" - make the best model you can using 3000 polygons.
    Usually - the higher the polygon count the better quality the model is (not always the case, but its Generally true)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am