... Dark souls review?

    Share
    avatar
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2008
    Reputation : 71
    Join date : 2012-05-30
    Location : ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

    ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Wilkinson3424 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:35 pm

    I found this review... saddest thing ever, at teh end of it ill explain why it was so sad... but you'll probably know why after reading it.

    I honestly cannot understand how this game has gotten such great reviews, it's just not that good at all. And before everyone get in an uproar about people giving bad reviews to this not being RPG fans, I love RPGs and that's why I hate this game. It's not an RPG, it's kind of a psuedo-adventure game with the ability to level up your character. However, it's missing, in my opinion, the fundamental thing that seperates true RPGs from every other game: a story that sucks you in. I don't really see where everyone is complaining about the difficulty, I honestly didn't really find the game that difficult, but at no point are you actually interested in your character or the game. Which is disturbing considering how well it starts, Unfortunately choosing your character is the most interesting part of the entire game. After that it's just hours upon hours of mind-numbing exploration, but no real plot, no real story, and no real motivation. Any other RPG I've ever played if someone walked in on me and seeing me searching for hours for something and asked "what are you doing?" I could definitively say "i'm looking for the key to the door that has the sword that I need," or some variation of that. If the same question was asked of Dark Souls my answer would simply be "I don't know." While I disagree with most of the bad reviews of this game, I simply cannot give it a good review, it's just a waste of time and money. If you want a real RPG go play something in the final fantasy series. If you want to play an adventure RPG go play Diablo or Diablo II, but skip Dark Souls.

    -Wastintime22




    NOTE: This guy works for Bethesda. ( it says so by his username ) Shrug

    NOTE: He said there was no story... what a noob.

    NOTE: He said theres "No real motavation"... what a retard.

    NOTE: This guy works for Bethesda... hah had to say that twice...

    NOTE: He most likley rage quit because he failed at the asylum.


    _________________

    "You never truly discover the nature of a weapon until you pretend to be it's former master"


    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5753
    Reputation : 193
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by User on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:57 pm

    lol that's how I feel about bethesda's TES. No real story, no motivation. lol
    avatar
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1076
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Wandering...

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by LordRevan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 pm

    Link it.


    _________________
    Xbox GT: DaDrunkDucky bounce

    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Shkar on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 pm

    Too be honest, there are very few games that feel like a good RPG to me. They are always too streamlined.

    Since Bethesda was brought up, I'll use that for reference. Why can't you side WITH the dragons in Skyrim? There are very few games that actually let you do what you want. Dark Souls is better at that then most, but it never comes up in the story, which is sad.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2008
    Reputation : 71
    Join date : 2012-05-30
    Location : ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Wilkinson3424 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:14 pm

    He never mentioned skyrim, and i can see why. but i just think this guy is an idiot and took no time playing this game, no story? please... the only reason this game gets bad reviews is because 1. people played demon's souls and thought dark souls wasn't that great. 2. their idiots, and can't play it.


    _________________

    "You never truly discover the nature of a weapon until you pretend to be it's former master"

    avatar
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2008
    Reputation : 71
    Join date : 2012-05-30
    Location : ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Wilkinson3424 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 pm

    Acidic_Cook wrote:lol that's how I feel about bethesda's TES. No real story, no motivation. lol
    Well, i personally think those are all great games, i just pre-ordered the DLC to skyrim on my Power up rewards card, and can't wait to play it, but i think dark souls tops them all. some people (not saying this is you) just stick to 1 game, and say all other games sucks. this is mostly CoD fans.


    _________________

    "You never truly discover the nature of a weapon until you pretend to be it's former master"

    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 pm

    It's his opinion, and he's allowed to hold it.

    He's 100% wrong, though.

    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Shkar on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 pm

    Wilkinson3424 wrote:He never mentioned skyrim, and i can see why. but i just think this guy is an idiot and took no time playing this game, no story? please... the only reason this game gets bad reviews is because 1. people played demon's souls and thought dark souls wasn't that great. 2. their idiots, and can't play it.

    Skyrim is Bethesda's calling card, being their most popular game (compare viral references to any other game of tehirs. I'll wait.), that's why I brought it up. I do agree with you that his review was not appropriate for the game.

    That being said, I do see where he was coming from about the story being untold for the most part. God knows it's awful for someone like me who wants to know the lore behind EVERY little detail.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2008
    Reputation : 71
    Join date : 2012-05-30
    Location : ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Wilkinson3424 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm

    Shkar wrote:
    Wilkinson3424 wrote:He never mentioned skyrim, and i can see why. but i just think this guy is an idiot and took no time playing this game, no story? please... the only reason this game gets bad reviews is because 1. people played demon's souls and thought dark souls wasn't that great. 2. their idiots, and can't play it.

    Skyrim is Bethesda's calling card, being their most popular game (compare viral references to any other game of tehirs. I'll wait.), that's why I brought it up. I do agree with you that his review was not appropriate for the game.

    That being said, I do see where he was coming from about the story being untold for the most part. God knows it's awful for someone like me who wants to know the lore behind EVERY little detail.
    people who play skyrim definitly want a story RIGHT away. but thats not the case in DkS. its much more complex and deeper than dragons killing everyone. omg i just got an idea for my sig...


    _________________

    "You never truly discover the nature of a weapon until you pretend to be it's former master"

    avatar
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 10236
    Reputation : 410
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Location : Ralph Wilson Stadium

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by skarekrow13 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:23 pm

    Invite him to the Archives and show him the story. Um....stories.....um theories.

    Ok.....wild speculation.


    That we've all done.

    avatar
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2008
    Reputation : 71
    Join date : 2012-05-30
    Location : ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Wilkinson3424 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 pm

    haha, i don't know him, just saw his reveiw, he only had a user name, company name, and location. which was just a state.


    _________________

    "You never truly discover the nature of a weapon until you pretend to be it's former master"

    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Shkar on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:27 pm

    Wilkinson3424 wrote:
    Shkar wrote:
    Wilkinson3424 wrote:He never mentioned skyrim, and i can see why. but i just think this guy is an idiot and took no time playing this game, no story? please... the only reason this game gets bad reviews is because 1. people played demon's souls and thought dark souls wasn't that great. 2. their idiots, and can't play it.

    Skyrim is Bethesda's calling card, being their most popular game (compare viral references to any other game of tehirs. I'll wait.), that's why I brought it up. I do agree with you that his review was not appropriate for the game.

    That being said, I do see where he was coming from about the story being untold for the most part. God knows it's awful for someone like me who wants to know the lore behind EVERY little detail.
    people who play skyrim definitly want a story RIGHT away. but thats not the case in DkS. its much more complex and deeper than dragons killing everyone. omg i just got an idea for my sig...

    I know the lore is deeper her. However, the best we can get is theories. I'm the kind of person who wants to know stuff for fact, and this game drives me crazy because of that.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1076
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Wandering...

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by LordRevan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm

    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:It's his opinion, and he's allowed to hold it.

    He's 100% wrong, though.

    You cannot say someone's opinion is wrong as it their opinion and try to say so is pretty disrespectful.

    However him saying things like no plot, no story and no motivation is (Wrong) facts. So disagree there silly

    Dark Souls definitely does lack story compared to most other RPG's (At least the more popular ones) but they aren't all made for the same people, if we are looking for a good story we'll play those games. Otherwise we'll play Dark Souls with it's (Very hidden and generally unexplained) story.

    But I think the guy must of been drunk when he said no motivation... silly

    (Try not to make this another thread about Skyrim/TES... Talk about the review, not who said it or what his job may be)




    EDIT: Love the new Sig Wilkinson3424 lol!


    Last edited by LordRevan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Xbox GT: DaDrunkDucky bounce

    avatar
    Owl
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 60
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-06-12
    Age : 32

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Owl on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

    It saddens me that so many people can't be bothered in the slightest to think about what they've been presented with (regardless of how little) and attempt to piece the story together. It's not that there was no plot or motivation, it's that this particular reviewer found that looking for a plot or motivation was the hardest part of the game. He's still essentially complaining about difficulty.



    These days, people are ticked if things aren't handed to them on a silver platter. If someone doesn't understand something, they label it 'bad' and move on without even the slightest consideration that they may have simply failed to comprehend it. Case and point: bad reviews for Ridley Scott's Prometheus. Most common complaint: My questions weren't answered. Ergo, this is not a good movie.


    _________________
    "And with Fire came Disparity"

    GT: Loki the Owl
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Reaperfan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:48 pm

    Wilkinson3424 wrote:-snip-
    However, it's missing, in my opinion, the fundamental thing that seperates true RPGs from every other game: a story that sucks you in.
    -snip-
    -Wastintime22

    I'll be honest...I lol'ed. Literally. Almost rofl'ed.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by BLA1NE on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:49 pm

    I find it strange how people confuse plot or backstory with story, in video games. You watch a movie, someone asks you what the story is, you tell them what the characters have gone through during the movie, no? You don't tell them that "there were dragons hundreds of years ago and they all killed each other and... and then these characters are in this movie." So why is it that "story" in a video game is that there were dragons hundreds of years ago? To me, the story in Dark Souls is what you're DOING the entire time. Your journey from the Asylum through Lordran and finally out of the Kiln is quite a tale. How is that NOT a story? It's almost irrelevant that there were dragons hundreds of years ago when your own present journey was so epic.

    And in that regards, if we're going to compare Dark Souls with other RPGs on the merits of its story, I'd say it stacks up more than adequately, and playing it in Dark Souls is much more epic than other RPGs because of the intricate gameplay. Killing bosses, to me, is a story. Killing bosses in Dark Souls, to me, is a lot more epic than doing it in other RPGs.

    You can dig around the plot and backstory on all these other games all you want, and Dark Souls has more than its share of that too, but to me the story is what you do.


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Reaperfan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 pm

    Actually, wasn't there a post a while ago with an interview with Miyazaki describing how he really enjoyed the idea of the "incomplete story" method of storytelling? How he felt having mysterious elements that aren't understood without actively seeking them out paradoxically creates a more immersive story by providing less information. Gimme a sec and I'll try to dig it back up...

    EDIT: Lol, it was right on top of the page along with this thread :oops:
    In case anyone's still interested though: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t6890-new-developer-interview


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 379
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-03-07
    Age : 39
    Location : Untidied Kingdom

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by eminusx on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:56 pm

    "it's missing, in my opinion, the fundamental thing that seperates true RPGs from every other game: a story that sucks you in" utter berk!

    I hope this doesnt come off as arrogant or superior, but Im amazed by this persons childlike expectations of what it would be like to be dropped in a demonic sh!t-house with nothing but the rags on your back. Its completely bizarre how some so-called 'adventure gamers' expect every morsel of information to be handed to them on a plate, and when eventually, god-forbid, theyre asked to explore and discover things for themselves they complain, all the while failing to see the irony in their idealised 'adventuring by numbers'. The 'adventuring' bit seems to be completely lost on them. Its like playing Forza 4 on autopilot. . .a pretty but ultimately hollow experience.

    RPG's are supposed to be about being put into a situation, or Role (major clue there) and finding your way out with whatever you happen to find on your way, discovering the world and its contents for yourself, unearthing the details of the story and piecing the jigsaw together bit by bit. Generally, the more strictly this is enforced and woven into the gameplay, the deeper, more immersive the experience will be.

    If anything, many RPG's suffer terribly from force feeding you so much information that none of it really sinks in or it loses its relevance. Skyrim being the main protagonist on my shelf.

    thats how i see it anyways.

    disclaimer - Forza 4 does NOT have autopilot, apparently.




    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:59 pm

    For shame, Reaperfan, for shame.

    avatar
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1076
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Wandering...

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by LordRevan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:10 pm

    BLA1NE wrote:I find it strange how people confuse plot or backstory with story, in video games. You watch a movie, someone asks you what the story is, you tell them what the characters have gone through during the movie, no? You don't tell them that "there were dragons hundreds of years ago and they all killed each other and... and then these characters are in this movie." So why is it that "story" in a video game is that there were dragons hundreds of years ago? To me, the story in Dark Souls is what you're DOING the entire time. Your journey from the Asylum through Lordran and finally out of the Kiln is quite a tale. How is that NOT a story? It's almost irrelevant that there were dragons hundreds of years ago when your own present journey was so epic.

    And in that regards, if we're going to compare Dark Souls with other RPGs on the merits of its story, I'd say it stacks up more than adequately, and playing it in Dark Souls is much more epic than other RPGs because of the intricate gameplay. Killing bosses, to me, is a story. Killing bosses in Dark Souls, to me, is a lot more epic than doing it in other RPGs.

    You can dig around the plot and backstory on all these other games all you want, and Dark Souls has more than its share of that too, but to me the story is what you do.

    I agree with this.

    But what I mean also is that during this journey, very little about why you are doing it is mentioned. As such story related dialogue basically comes from 3 sources in the game.

    Guy at firelink telling you to ring the bells(For the reason of... something will happen).

    Gwynvere telling you that you are choosen to replace Gwyn and what you must do(Key part in the story).

    Lastly your chosen serpent telling you either similar to what Gwynvere said(However said earlier in the game and not exactly the same) or getting the other side of the story(Great plot twist as it gives you another option on how the story will end).

    The only complaint I have about the games story is... Why no dialogue/cinematic/something as you enter to face Gwyn! Nor even mentioned or shown afterwards. That was a let down for me considering he is the final boss and a very interesting character. Especially considering that most other bosses had something.


    _________________
    Xbox GT: DaDrunkDucky bounce

    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by BLA1NE on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:16 pm

    LordRevan wrote:The only complaint I have about the games story is... Why no dialogue/cinematic/something as you enter to face Gwyn! Nor even mentioned or shown afterwards. That was a let down for me considering he is the final boss and a very interesting character. Especially considering that most other bosses had something.
    He does have dialogue... He runs and does a massive lunging attack at you! I thought that conveyed his motivations enough. silly


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate
    avatar
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 379
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-03-07
    Age : 39
    Location : Untidied Kingdom

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by eminusx on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:18 pm

    LordRevan wrote:The only complaint I have about the games story is... Why no dialogue/cinematic/something as you enter to face Gwyn! Nor even mentioned or shown afterwards. That was a let down for me considering he is the final boss and a very interesting character. Especially considering that most other bosses had something.

    I like that there are no fancy QTE's or introductions to Gwyn, it gives it a kind of melancholic feel, especially with the piano led theme too, it has a sort of humane sadness to it. Maybe i should get out more or see a doctor happy

    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 pm

    By the time you fight him, Gwyn is so far gone that I think he's really just reacting on the basest animalistic instincts and isn't really in the mood to "talk things out."

    avatar
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 379
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-03-07
    Age : 39
    Location : Untidied Kingdom

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by eminusx on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:34 pm

    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:By the time you fight him, Gwyn is so far gone that I think he's really just reacting on the basest animalistic instincts and isn't really in the mood to "talk things out."

    supposing he did fancy a chat I reckon he'd sound like James Earl Jones,

    . . . or Brian Blessed (edit: just realised this may not mean much to you chaps over the pond. . . imagine Zeus on bath salts)


    _________________
    XBL: eminusx
    PSN: eminusx78

    dont open the gates, who the hell needs a wooden horse that size!!!


    Last Be-ta, I gave you my souls, but the very next game, you took them away!!
    This year, to save me from fear, im levelling my Zwei-hander!! WHAM!!!
    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by BLA1NE on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm

    ^I'm not even convinced he's as far gone as people think. This should probably be in the archives... but if the topic ever comes up there, and you agree with me, feel free to steal this (maybe it's even been said already):

    The Black Knights are under his command, right? What do you find in the Asylum, when you return? Black Knights! Seems to me they were sent there to investigate after your escape. And there are also BKs in the Burg and Blackroot, either guarding something, or in position to overlook your progress. Seems to me like there was some thought behind their placement. As the person who would've ordered them there, seems to me like Gwyn still has part of his head.

    So his reaction as you walk through the fog gate screams desperation and anger, to me. He doesn't want to talk to you. He's probably afraid of you. He's followed your progress throughout Lordran, he knows nothing has stopped you reaching his door, and now he's desperate. That lunging attack says it all.


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate

    Sponsored content

    Re: ... Dark souls review?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:43 am