Gargoylespear/Lightning-Twohander

Pallash
    Casual
    Casual

Gargoylespear/Lightning-Twohander

Post by Pallash on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello community.

I was thinking about goin for a new build, but kidna not sure wich weapon.
    I want to choose between the Gargoylespear and the Lightning-Twohander.

Oh and btw, most ppl have more Firedef that lightningdef right?

So whats the +/- on those weps?
    How are they in PvP?

For example:

-Against a shield user its useles...
    -You'r getting fast backstabbed
    -etc...

Tell me you'r experience!
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Re: Gargoylespear/Lightning-Twohander

Post by cloudyeki on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:02 pm

It depends on which moveset you like more. Though note that lightning defense is a little more common than fire.

I prefer the Gargoyle Halberd, it's a more defensive weapon but can be GREAT for offense if you know it's moveset and reach well enough.

Props to BindMind for the sig!
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm

I also prefer Gargoyle Halberd, but many people do not. I think I only know of 2 in this forum other than I who like using it. It's amazing in PvE, because it does do more base damage and all that awesome stuff. But in PvP, it CAN suffer because missing with it can be extremely punishing. Halberds are one of the few weapons who force you get be a little stunned if you miss. And, as well, halberds are a little bit different when it comes to knowing how to hit with them. They have a strange moveset compared to anything else, but if you get used to it, they can be extremely rewarding.

Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm

^i use a chaos G halberd sometimes. But i can’t say that i am very good with it, trying to get better though lol
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Ahh. The list grows big grin Dough, Eki, Me, and now Spurgun. Normal halberd is my favorite overall, but the moveset and higher base damage makes the G.Halberd an amazing elemental weapon. Plus, extra resistance. Who wouldn't want extra resistance?

I mean, come on big grin Well What is it big grin Well What is it big grin Well What is it big grin

Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:39 pm

^ My friends call me spur. Lol.
    I have seen a lot of people using the normal halberd, usually buffing it. It really packs a punch when buffed. I haven’t tried the normal halberd yet, saw the slow attacks and shunned it. The G halberd on the other hand has a better moveset (IMO) and higher damage (as you said) plus, it deals a lot of damage if you riposte/BS with it.
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:45 pm

The original halberd scales D with str and C with dex, and with it's high base damage, it does fairly well with a buff. It's my +15 weapon I use when I go against any fire based monster/bosses. I use pine resin for that extra kick, and it does so much darn damage. The G.Halberd does hit faster due to it's angle. It can also dead angle people. The halberd does have longer reach, I THINK. It's only from experience, but it seems like it just hits from a mile away. I've had people walking around, kinda testing me out mid range, and I'll just poke'em with my halberd, and they'll be super surprised and never let their shield down again. This was at SL30 or something something something in the forest. Solo hosting. Before I had my G. Halberd on this toon.

Anyway, they're both really good, and I wish the normal halberd could attack from above or something that would make it's moveset better to use, but it does have better scaling. I haven't done a hybrid build yet, but I plan to eventually have a high SL character I can just test everything with.

FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 pm

the normal scythe used with a 14str/40dex build has great dmg(better then most other pole arms for that amount of stats). it has pretty much an identical moveset to the G halberd.
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:Ahh. The list grows big grin Dough, Eki, Me, and now Spurgun. Normal halberd is my favorite overall, but the moveset and higher base damage makes the G.Halberd an amazing elemental weapon. Plus, extra resistance. Who wouldn't want extra resistance?

I mean, come on big grin Well What is it big grin Well What is it big grin Well What is it big grin
    I use Scythe bro - that is a halberd type weapon... Where be my name on the list :evil: Also Tolvo runs a GH sometimes.

For one slick avatar visit this thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8933-picture-request-thread
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:20 pm

The scythe has less base damage than the g halberd but better scaling. Its pretty much exaxtly a normal halberd but with the moveset of the g halberd. I just dont like how it looks. And scythes, i believe, have slower normal swings but stagger a bit less.... i think. I really should do tests....

FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm

nah the scythe actually out dmgs all other pole arms, unless you have a 40str/40dex build and obviously 14str/40dex allows for a lot more stats. these results are kinda surprising. each pole arm is better with certain stats. normal scythe is clearly a great option for dex builds.

40/40 16/40 24/24
    http://tinyurl.com/6myg65m http://tinyurl.com/6rzs63m http://tinyurl.com/84g6wyb
    Pallash
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pallash on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:19 am

ok Guys enough with the halbert lol...

What about the Ultra Greatsword? I played alittle yesterday and it looks like it sucks... I hit like 500 on a guy who was armored with one swing (1 handed) wich is pretty good, but it was slow as fuark. and it seems like that crappy sword cant break trought the enemys shield...

or am I doing something wrong?

Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 am

You are. You're doing anything other than parrying with it in one hand. The zweihander works best lock off and in both hands, you won't hit often, but you only need to hit 3 times to kill most people, so be patient and bait them into a trade, then either keep them stunlocked or dodge out. The rolling r1 is devastating.

I prefer the zweihander any day. It is definitely slow and prone to being back stab punished, so fight lock off, and learn to dead angle and its great.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.

Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:57 am

My feedback.

Claymore if your starting PVP and PVE.

Zwei for PVE & PVP to massacre Average Players.

Pike for really intensive professional fight.

You might consider Katana like the Washing Pole..

Honestly its hard to comment because it depends on your experience and combat skills.. Weapon like Great Axe category has some pretty decent moveset & damage which is also highly effective in PVP..

But remember, no matter the weapon of choice, it's always down to your personal combat experience..
    Pallash
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pallash on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 am

Its really true! Most importat thing is your own combat skills. I'm way better with the gargoyle spear tought but only becaus eof its move sets and its range... im still learning to fight with the zweihänder. What i noticed is that I'm actually not bad at backstabbing. almost everytime i try to bs someone i succes. but i dont want a sneaky **** ninja char lol... i want a real WARRIOR and with WARRIOR I MEAN WARRIOR. someone who risk his life in a combat nomatter the loss big grin

but how am i able to break trough the shield of someone?

is there a difference between two handing and one handing a wep?
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:08 am

Very much so, 2 handing weapons gives damage and speed bonuses, and extends the reach, but you can't block effectively or parry.

Some weapons, like katana and spears, work very well either in 1 or 2 hands, but weapons like the zweihander, claymore, and great club, work much better in both hands.

Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:01 am

Overall PVP in Dark Souls is not honorable.. it's survival. It's about getting jump by 3 players versus you alone.. is about cheap tactice (Fog+WoT+WoG+etc etc).. its not fair most of the time.. so if you really want to be good at pvp, then never accept a fair game..

About BS's.. eventually you will learn how to roll bs, and how ridiculously effective it is.. then the real pvp starts ^.^

Finally about Zweihander, try not to swing it more then twice unless you have a plan or absolutely sure that guy don't know how to break stunlock.. most pro would swing once, and do something else.. swinging anything more then once, risk being bs.. it's as simple as *get hit* -> *break stunlock* -> *roll forward* -> *Backstab*.
    Pallash
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pallash on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am

And how is it to break the enemys shield?

Does it matter if i swing it 1h or 2h with the zweihänder to break trough their shield?

i can swing like 5-6x not sure tought.
    with 2h i swing like 4-5.

my char is sl +130, so most of the ppl should have alot of stamina or not?

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 am

Hahalo wrote:Overall PVP in Dark Souls is not honorable.. it's survival. It's about getting jump by 3 players versus you alone.. is about cheap tactice (Fog+WoT+WoG+etc etc).. its not fair most of the time.. so if you really want to be good at pvp, then never accept a fair game..

About BS's.. eventually you will learn how to roll bs, and how ridiculously effective it is.. then the real pvp starts ^.^

Finally about Zweihander, try not to swing it more then twice unless you have a plan or absolutely sure that guy don't know how to break stunlock.. most pro would swing once, and do something else.. swinging anything more then once, risk being bs.. it's as simple as *get hit* -> *break stunlock* -> *roll forward* -> *Backstab*.
    Hence fighting lock off, tough to roll bs someone who swivels as they swing.

Actually breaking someones guard? That doesn't happen unless they screw up. Its not a reasonable goal to have when attacking.

Don't use the zweihander in 1 hand, its useless that way.

Do you mean dead angleing? Dealing full damage through their shield? Fight lock off, and turn sideways as you swing, you'll get bsd a lot until you get good at it.

RagingDragon_69
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RagingDragon_69 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 am

Breaking someone's guard depends on their shields stability as well as their stamina. More stability reduces the amount of stamina used to block.

It is pretty rare to break someone's guard 60+ and if you do, you usually end up using all your stamina to do it, so you can't even attack them anyways. If you are running into alot of turtles(shield users) you should upgrade a weapon with bleed damage like the Washing Pole. By putting it as a secondary weapon you can swap quickly and hit their shields a couple times. This will usually cause them to panic and will give you openings you can use to your advantage.

Victory is not about the gear or weapon choices, good tactics and being able to control the pace of the fight are where the most battles are won. But most of all use weapons and gear you like, and have fun.

Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Yup listen to Forum Pirate.. Dual Hand that weapon and get used to it. Do not depend on shield.

And going to crash someone's shield guard is almost always a bad idea. That's a lot of way to deal with turtle build, but generally its a bad idea to face it up front, plus you might get parried. You can roll over, run over, estimate when he run out of stamina and kick it, GC him if using eagle shield, fish him to go for an attack, fake a backoff and go immediate for an attack, etc etc.. well most involve personal skills..

But these are just the surface.. the best part of Dark Souls PVP is prediction. If you pvp alot, you will know how to read movement, setup for the kill, and play 1/2 a second faster.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 am