Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
FruitPunchNinja
skarekrow13
Yukon
NordNorth
billy_bayonet
Knight Alundil
10 posters

From Software

Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

From Software Empty From Software

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:26 am

Hey guys I want you to clear something up for me.

From Software has this reputation, this strange reputation of being some god among videogame companies; as if they're one of the few companies that listens to fans and tries to do things in the fans best interest, etc.

But this has not been my experience. My experience involves buying Dark souls on launch and being left in the dark for a month about why the online was barely operational, being left to stew and wait while the pc users, who did nothing but insult from (Read the various posts and petitions, you'll see they're all very condescending, saying things like it was a bad move for From not to put the game on pc), get told that their system will receive a better dark souls than the console users.

I dont know, maybe i'm missing something. Perhaps they were incredibly dedicated when they were working with the King's Field games? Like I said I don't know but if someone could enlighten me as to why they have this reputation it would be appreciated happy
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

From Software Empty Re: From Software

Post by billy_bayonet Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:27 am

do you feel you have a bad game?
    NordNorth
    NordNorth
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by NordNorth Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:33 am

From what I understand with the whole PC issue is that PC gaming is not as big in Japan, where From is situated. The explanation I found was that they had a difficult time transferring it to the PC, as well as having other projects at the same time. Can't always make everyone happy when you're trying to get the most bucks by piling your plate high.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:39 am

Its a strange thing to say, but being left with a glitchy online for -only- a month is something some other newer developers cannot say.

Many of the people here were probably playing the game upon release, and saw the same things, but personally I did not find it ruined the game. Online was not absolutely useless I had my shared of co-op and I had a good number of PVP fights in lower areas, and I can say that my first play through the game felt like the best one because of my limited online. I had to learn to do things myself, often if I summoned anyone they were just starting like me, not lightening weapon mask destroyers that steam rolled a level.

The reason PC is getting 'special' treatment is because they waited almost a year to get the game, and guess what they will have to pay about 60 dollars (full price) for it. You had one month of complaint. and You will eventually get the same content as well, so why belly ache?

I am not sure if you have played demon's souls but they did a lot of rework on that game too at the users demand, some of it I wouldn't agree with, just as I didn't agree with some of the changed in 1.05 dark souls.

What was done with PC was most definitely Namco's call, not From, as they are the ones doing the advertising, and from a business stand point that was the only logical move to make sense, you cannot expect somone to buy a full price game a year after release unless you spice it up, you cannot expect prices to spike from console gamers shifting to the new game unless you give the suspense of a possible exlusive PC content, but everyone lost their **** over this. Its a purely tactical business move not a company pissing on its fans.

while the online being broken upon release along with a few other things was frustrating, from worked quickly to reslove the issue, I don't have to say there are some companies that like to release games that are nearly unplayable. But Souls still worked with a half working online as long as you had patience.

atleast this is my point of view.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 am

the way that i see it, this game is very very good it is fun to play it is also very hard,

as far as the PC issue goes they were given the funds to make it, and consoles will not suffer due to DLC, in short quit your whining silly (meant to be taken in jest)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:11 pm

They have very high esteem in my book and have it solely because the games are fun. That's my sole criteria on evaluating a company. Glitches and imperfections can be annoying but only effect my opinion one they are so severe as to dampen the fun. I can see where online play issues might rise to that level for some but pvp was jittery icing on the cake for me for this game so my rating would be different as a result based on the perceived importance of this aspect. My rating us high because of the worlds they make. The souls and armored core games have a depth and detail like no other in my book
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Wow ok slow down, i love dark souls, and i respect from for making a great game. But that's all.

I'm only talking about when people treat it so highly.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:13 pm

billy_bayonet wrote:do you feel you have a bad game?

Oh, and in reply to this; No, of course not, Dark souls is awesome. When i was playing through it the first time just after launch and was hoping to co-op most of the way through it I was playing a fairly dissapointing game though.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I hope I didn't come off as attacking, I was just trying to get my point across and it turned into a wall of text.

anyway, From Soft is up there with Team Silent and Team ICO for me. I look forward to their future releases, and like skare said for those who were looking at pvp as icing on the cake the problems with release were very minimal and not enough to make me feel as if From had wronged its fans in any way.
    NordNorth
    NordNorth
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by NordNorth Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Well, it's the same phenomena with many things. I know Bungie was treated the same with Halo to an extent. People went crazy for Harry Potter books. From just made a great product and as a result have the same kind of following. I don't know anything else to say specifically, and I'm a newbie to From anyways.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Yukon wrote:I hope I didn't come off as attacking, I was just trying to get my point across and it turned into a wall of text.

Not at all! The only problem i had with what you said was that it's not really what i meant, perhaps i worded the OP badly im far from sober right now.

It seems that before Dark souls, and even before Demons souls (I only joined the franchise at DkS though) that From had a great reputation for listening to fans and i haven't really seen that play out since I bought the game and joined the online community.

I was reading previews, live sessions and even the wiki for demons souls just taking in this world that From had created and I was so eager to play it that since it's came out, yes it's been an incredible game that actually totally destroys playing alot of other rpg's now for me, but i haven't personally seen what alot of the community is talking about with from.

The answer i'm really wanting from someone right now is that From did something in the past that I missed that was on the same level as jesus-esque miracles.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:22 pm

NordNorth wrote:Well, it's the same phenomena with many things. I know Bungie was treated the same with Halo to an extent. People went crazy for Harry Potter books. From just made a great product and as a result have the same kind of following. I don't know anything else to say specifically, and I'm a newbie to From anyways.

Yeh, totally agree with that. In the respect I just hope it has the same future, and i've not caught on at the end of something. sad
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 pm

in my opinion people regard them so highly because demons souls and dark souls are some of the best more original games to be released this console generation. also lots of people love the armored core series(im not big into it) which i can agree is one of the more in depth original mech games. i had the game at launch also, there were problems but seriously every game with online has problems before the first few patches are released.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I totally forgot about armored core, yeh that does have a massive following doesn't it. Mostly in Japan, maybe?
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I have to agree with both sides. Dark Souls may be my favorite game, and it is amazing how well From has reacted to fans.

But on the other hand, the game really does feel unfinished and unpolished at times. I would really like to see From with a larger budget next time around and more time to actually finish the game.

They also have to understand, if you put PvP in a game, the players will utilize it to the fullest.
    NordNorth
    NordNorth
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by NordNorth Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

You and me both, brother. I haven't noticed anything negative since I've been playing Dark Souls, and as long as the DLC is worth the money (and I'm hoping more so) I could care less about some glitches for a month imo. There are a lot of satisfied folks, it's just negative feedback is always the loudest.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeh, I'm hoping they release more DLC in the painted world format. Just likea contained area outsite of Lordran.

And i have to admit I almost deafened my girlfriend when I seen that it was coming to consoles.
    NordNorth
    NordNorth
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by NordNorth Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Lmao well played.

Looks like the DLC will be Oolicile. Maybe the Painted world was of Oolicile..?

Dun dun dunnnn
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Haha yeh ive seen all the trailers and stuff, i've decided to stop watching anything now 'til release. Don't want to ruin anything with pc footage on youtube of it etc. silly
    NordNorth
    NordNorth
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by NordNorth Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Same here. It's so hard not to though! Had the same issue with Skyrim (which is actually an example of a disappointing sequel imo 😢)
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

i agree with buggy. from soft isnt some huge super popular dev like EA or square enix. do i hope they start getting a bigger budget, HELL YES! you cant really blame them though, im sure they had much less money to create dark souls compared to games like COD or even MGS(one of my favorite franchises besides souls) and i think they did a great job with the budget they had. look at metal gear online, i may be wrong but im pretty sure they had a way bigger budget then fromsoft and there online was not the greatest. Souls is more about the pve, but i think dark souls made the pvp a much bigger part of the franchise and hopefully they consider that for the dlc and next game.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 pm

I think it's fair to say we have the right to feel aggrieved about buggy games. I think it's awful that games get released glitched and bugged up to the roof and we are just supposed to accept it.

I just feel that if developers REALLY cared about their game being bugged and glitchy, they would test it on a much wider and longer scale than they obviously do.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:25 pm

i think they're the opposite of what you said, theyre known for making hardcore games and having a take it or leave it attitude which is why i like them until dark souls when they patched the game and didnt make it any better, they should just stick to what they release and if people dont like it then tough poop.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:59 pm

The sucking online system is really not From's fault. They apologized to the fans. Bandai Scamco sucks on that part. Cheap a s s company wanted to cut costs and introduced a p2p system with no dedicated servers. many even now have problems with summoning etc. many covenants are just plain broken. Too bad, because with a decent online system the game would've been even better.

But again; blame Bandai Scamco, not FromSoftware.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm