Some ideas for a pure mage build?

TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Some ideas for a pure mage build?

Post by TheBigLebowski on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 am

Hi all,

I really wanna make a pure mage build for my last char, before I go to play Dragon's Dogma.
    For PVE and PVP both if that is possible? Do some of you have some nice ideas of stats and armor and weaponry? I have no clue, never made a pure mage. If some have made a build before and was happy about it, I hope you want to share the stats etc.

Thanks!! ;D
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Some ideas for a pure mage build?

Post by BartholomewWenceslas on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 am

When I make a mage, I always try to get my int up to 50 so I can use every spell. You're going to at least want to be able to use crystal soul spear which I believe requires 44 int. Typically, I'll just pump all my points into int as fast as I can and then focus on vit and end after.

I'd recommend trying to get a magic weapon as fast as you can because you're bound to run out of spells eventually and especially in New Londo, you're going to want to have as much magic left as possible to kill off all the kings.

As far as catalysts go, one of the best ones is actually the starting one. Unless you can get the Oolacile catalyst relatively early (before 28 int I think). I would recommend helping out Dusk as quickly as possible and the using her crown/headband thing for the bonus damage. Once you get Logan's catalyst, you should have enough int that it should pretty much be the best catalyst (besides the crystal one but then you'd have to live with only half the spells).

Try and get the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring as fast as possible and always keep that in one of your slots. For armor, I typically wear the sealer's set and then Logan's top and hat with the sealer bottom and then usually witch Beatrice's gloves. It's good to have about 5-7 attunement slots and you should raise those while raising your int.

What spells you use will really vary, but I typically always have both HSM and CHSM, SS and CSS, and then normally great soul arrow and dragon's breath. I would also recommend doing Duke's Archives as quickly as possible so you can get your best spells.

EDIT: Forgot to add one more thing. If you can get the MLGS, it would be worth using. You can just two hand it or you can throw a few points onto str, but in my experience, it's one of the strongest weapons for mages

Last edited by BartholomewWenceslas on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kaminari on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:22 am

a little trick if you are good at doging,

Use the crystal catalyst wich gives more power to each spell but makes a lesser quanity,
    Then use the dusk ring from the Hydra, wich gives double uses of the magics but halves your HP.

Result?= Same amount of spells as normal, but alot stronger, and half HP.

As said, you need to be good doging/parry and stuffs for this to work out, but if you know how to not get hit it work damn well!

Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 am

Ok thanks. I will try those things. Much to do! ;D
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sebastrd on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Here's my current build. She's on NG++, so she has multiples of the crystal magicks (replace the extras with 2 Soul Spears on NG). The 18 Faith is only for Homeward (which I use a ton) and early Astora's Straight Sword. If you can live without those, you could just pump Vitality or bump Strength and Dexterity to add weapon options.

Either way, the magic is enough to mangle most bosses, especially if you have a summon to distract them. She eats 4 Kings for breakfast. I switch out rings a lot. I typically only use the Bellowing Dragoncrest if I can't one-shot a monster without it or if I'm facing a boss.
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Looks nice Sebastrd. Is it adviseable to summon Beatrice for 4Kings as distraction then? Downside is that the kings have more health that way...
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Do they xD I have never noticed this. even if they do I think she is definitely worth her weight so to speak, especially on NG (done it once solo and once with her)

martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:36 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:Hi all,

I really wanna make a pure mage build for my last char, before I go to play Dragon's Dogma.
    For PVE and PVP both if that is possible? Do some of you have some nice ideas of stats and armor and weaponry? I have no clue, never made a pure mage. If some have made a build before and was happy about it, I hope you want to share the stats etc.

Thanks!! ;D

From my personal experiences, I would never use a "pure" mage. Now, a mage coupled with, say, pyro or faith? That's a good combination. I say that because most sorceries are easy to dodge. But when you mix miracles or pyro with sorceries, that's totally different. Just remember, if you decide to pair your magics with pyro, then increase your dex to 45 for maximum casting speed, good luck on your build!
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Unfortunately pure mages cast their spells awfully slow when they have low Dex. Even the pure faith builds miss their WoGs against experienced dodgers (I have one).

Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant

SpecOps0
    Regular
    Regular

Post by SpecOps0 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:46 pm

I suggest to use Logan's Catalyst as the more casts the better (unless you want 150~ more damage). In PvE Crystal Soul Spear cheeses most of the bosses (Even better if you have 5+ casts).

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sebastrd on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:14 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:Looks nice Sebastrd. Is it adviseable to summon Beatrice for 4Kings as distraction then? Downside is that the kings have more health that way...

10 HCSM + 4 CSS + 8 SS is enough to take out the 4 Kings on NG+ even with 2 summons. Every other boss is even easier.

Sorcery is generally too slow for PvP unless you know how to use the battlefield to your advantage. CSS on a bridge with no place to dodge is deadly. HCSM is a great damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't spell. They either take the hit and die, or dodge out of the way into your waiting MLGS. Also, keep in mind that a stun lock with the MLGS is far more deadly than a parry or backstab.
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Here is one I created after losing all my save data the first time SL 45 Mage

He got through to NG+ and acquired another CHSM. I believe for any caster, acquiring doubles of their most used spell is a must.

Basic Idea is he pvps Archives/Anor and will need some help for 4 kings. Unless you switch out the pure magic damage for physical for them.

Health sucks, but I feel mage health should suck a little. With plenty of levels to 120 he is highly customizable

The Pantheon

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:04 am