Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
SunlightCrusader
Leeroy_Jenkins
8 posters

The exocutioner Smough

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

The exocutioner Smough - Page 2 Empty Re: The exocutioner Smough

Post by DoughGuy Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 am

Sun your a lore nut now!

Skare I agree with you except for one part. Look at how Ornstein absorbs the power. HE gently places a hand on hi sfallen comrade and absorbs it. Smough smashes and does what Sun saud, absorbs the power through his hammer. I think either Ornstein held SMough in a higher regard than he should have or Ornstein controlled Smough and when he died Smough was free to be viscious.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:19 am

skarekrow13 wrote:I've done a good deal on these guys elsewhere so here's the gist of my Smough theory. He was famous but not respected when all was well. He is on par with the knights in power (demigod) but his vicious streak kept him out of the club. Artorias fell and all hell broke loose in anor Londo (look at the paintings in the bedrooms). Gough and Ciaran left/died and Ornstein was one of the less "nice" knights. My guess is they were friends all along but Artorias or Gwyn kept Smough from being the fifth knight. Once everyone was gone they led the new regime (notice s's statue is same reverence as o's despite his less popular job and there are no statues of the other three knights). part of the friendship theory is that they work exceedingly well together and while s smashes o to get his power o doeshis version of the same trick. Since they both are only taking power from a dying friend it's actually not selfish at all. It's like a death pact between good friends. He got you but I'll show him for you pal. Also most lore in which warriors absorb power stems from a deep connection with the other party. Can't just steal anyone's powers or you'd come across a warrior who has everyone's abilities eventually. Even with our ability to absorb souls we don't learn each characters power we just make one of our inherent attributes a little better.
    Where is Ornstein's statue?
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:22 am

I blame you Dough, this is your influence. Regardless I enjoy it. I have my thoughts and like to see others' thoughts as well and get input on my own.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:26 am

I think that's just a nod to their nature. S smashes him yeah but that's likely all he knows and his power is symbolized by the hammer. O's power is in him his hands) and is the "finesse" guy. Also never forget emotional state in combat. O has probably been in war before, was taught ethics, and was a pillar of nobility. He knows how to cope with the loss of a friend. S would not have taken to the battle field, was a known brute, not used to seeing the ax in unexpected ways and his armor is detailed in many aspects of a fool or simpleton. He therefore responds with rage. From what I see of the fight is that they are very well coordinated (they even have a choreographed entrance) which I don't think would be the case if S was a puppet or there wasn't a mutual relationship. A disparate relationship would be shown by one hanging back to let the other do the work or blatant animosity. The smash could be animosity since this us all theory but I see a tantrum because you killed hits friend.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:26 am

@Leeroy far opposite Smough's. Face smoughs, turn 180 and run forward.
    @Sun My sig is subliminally messaging you.
    @Skare That sounds more logical. I can agree with it, especially with the part anbout O's ethics. Didnt think of that.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:37 am

Smough needs to head to the gym or something before he gets diabetes.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:38 am

Well my theories just got blown out of the water. Props to Skare for being the loremaster. Still I suppose everything is open to interpretation. There really isn't a right or wrong is there?
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 am

Haha ya I kinda like asking questions and reading responses to just kind of mold it together in my head on my own at a later date.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks bloodpixel, now I have a permanent image of Smough actually being Wilford Brimley in wacky armor telling Ornstein about his die-a-beat-iss

And yeah, I could be just as wrong as right on anything I say. Darn From and their awesome ambiguous style
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:31 am

Someone had a theory that Smough and Gough were brothers, because of their similar names.
    Ornstein will also absorb Smough's personality (laughter), along with his power, when you kill Smough first.
    The cathedral chamber where you fight him has one big elevator for Smough (and one small for Ornstein), so it was probably built to house him. It could also have been the execution grounds, overlooked by statues of Anor Londo's deities.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:06 am

I always took Smough to be a member of the race of giants that guard Anor Londo. You know, the sentinels in the Giant's Armor. He also seems to be simple-minded, laughing as he fights you; the child's head on top of his helmet symbolizes if not innocence hen simplicity. I would assume that all giants are inherently vicious; the sentinels merely had the intelligence to be trained as knights, even to use miracles.

Smough isn't more vicious than the others, he's just stupider, unable to master the discipline and concept of honor required for knighthood. His brutal strength, however, was not unnoticed, and he was given a position as executioner, where his vicious nature was put to good use. I assume with the breakdown of law in Anor Londo and the exile of the rest of the four knights, Smough was called on to defend the Princess' chamber alongside the last remaining knight; Ornstein.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 am

^Miracles require faith not intelligence silly
    Its possible however Smough is a lot shorter than the other giants. You can see the proper eye holes in his neck.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:17 pm

DoughGuy wrote:^Miracles require faith not intelligence silly
    Its possible however Smough is a lot shorter than the other giants. You can see the proper eye holes in his neck.
    I know it requires the stat faith, but the actual mechanics of casting miracles lore-wise is to recite a memorized tale from scripture, a feat that takes at least the intelligence to memorize words, which i am not sure Smough possesses, but the Royal Sentinels obviously do.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm

silly<----- Means Im joking mate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am