Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
SunlightCrusader
Leeroy_Jenkins
8 posters

The exocutioner Smough

Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

The exocutioner Smough Empty The exocutioner Smough

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:40 pm

I've never really understood how this character fit into the story I know he isn't one of Gwyn's four knights so why does he hang out with Ornstein and why are there statues of him all over Anor Londo. Thanks in advance anything else you would like to add would gladly be accepted. happy
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

The exocutioner Smough Empty Re: The exocutioner Smough

Post by SunlightCrusader Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:49 pm

Well he had hopes of joining Gwyn's knights as indicated by the description of his hammer. My understanding is that he was the royal executioner of Lord Gwyn, a very important and, in its own way, prestigious position. He would be a very well known figure in Anor Londo and his image would inspire respect in the law and Gwyn. Hmm thats all I got right now; if I think of anything else I'll post it.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Maybe he was the one who locked Havel in the Watchtower? Someone put him in his 3-story jail cell, would make sense if Gwyn's loyal executioner/dungeon master was the one who did it.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:04 am

Ahhh I just read the weapon description again and he was weird he ate the ground up bones of his victims yuk. also what was what stopped him from joining the four knights of Gwyn because he loved his work or becausr he ate people bones?
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:24 am

Because he ate the bones I believe. Perhaps it was a combination though as to be a knight requires honor, dignity, respect, morals,etc. I would know big grin (see sig). Regardless we know he was brutal, ruthless, sadistics, and more or less cannibalistic. I mean he clearly places no value on allies as when Ornstein collapses he proceeds to finish him off without hesitation.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 am

Hmm that make sence honor is good for knights...But how can he absorb ornsteins power?
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:31 am

Ornstein clearly is imbued with lightning. When Orn dies this power was released. We know that Smough's hammer absorbs life so perhaps it was able to absorb this essence of Ornstein and give it to Smough as it does with life.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 am

Interesting happy
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 am

Of course this is just speculation based on known info as is almos all lore in this game. I have thought about this a bit though as O&S is my favorite boss fight. I hope we can finally nail down some solid conclusions on Smough here.The exocutioner Smough 558843162
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:43 am

His armor said that humans can wear it but with trouble that makes me assume he is not human but I'm not really sure what he could be?
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 am

He is of the same race that the black/silver knights, Ornstein, Artorias, and likely Gwyn were. Gwyn, in my opinion, is of the same race as they are but with a Lord Soul. Smough is just an exceptionally large example of this race. This race is very similar to humans but clearly larger as far as I can tell and likely more long lived (excluding undead).
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:56 am

I kinda assumed as much but I wasn't sure. I think in his weapon description it said that he guards the chapel do you think his brutal habits is what earned him his title of executioner and that maybe he isn't one at all. Also it says victims that doesn't make me think of someone who deserves to be executed necessarily.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:02 am

Well it could be victim because of how brutally they were killed. If he was a murderer with no ties to Anor Londo's royalty then why would he be guarding the chapel with one of Gwyn's knights, the leader no less. I believe that he may have been reviled by many but that his title was his position. I think he was an extremely talented and sadistic warrior and Gwyn recognized this by rewarding him with a position worthy of respect. This may have also been a way of keeping his dog on a leash so to speak.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 am

If I were Gwyn I would have sent him on some phony mission to keep him busy forever. twisted
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:11 am

Seeing as how he probably isn't too smart that probably would have worked too...
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:15 am

I bet if he tried he could have convinced Smough to link the fire saving himself the trouble.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:23 am

No. Smough is too selfish. He would not do anything that would clearly cost his own life and even he isn't stupid enough to believe that igniting a giant flame is good for one's health. Everything he does is because he enjoys it or it gains him something. Even guarding the cathedral is either due to his love of violence or some misguided hope that it will earn him a position among the knights despite Gwyn's hollowing, perhaps as a reward from one of Gwyn's children (he may not realize that Gwynevere is an illusion).
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:29 am

Ya that makes sense haha
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 am

Why can't anyone else offer input? I'm running out of theories. sad

Edit: Aside from Leeroy as it's his thread of course. Just realized this may have sounded really arrogant without that attached. It's just that we are more or less having a conversation over this. I feel like more minds could offer more ideas.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:40 am

Honestly I was thinking the same but didn't say so as I didn't want to appear arrogant either not that I had any theory's anyway mostly just questions.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:45 am

Questions lead to theories which lead to answers. You got the ball rolling on this not me.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 am

Oh that's one way to look at it I guess.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 am

Ah well we seem to have reached an end but if anything else occurs to you do post it as I rather enjoyed this. The exocutioner Smough 945058907
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:53 am

As did I farewell for know then. The exocutioner Smough 3149687655
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:09 am

I've done a good deal on these guys elsewhere so here's the gist of my Smough theory. He was famous but not respected when all was well. He is on par with the knights in power (demigod) but his vicious streak kept him out of the club. Artorias fell and all hell broke loose in anor Londo (look at the paintings in the bedrooms). Gough and Ciaran left/died and Ornstein was one of the less "nice" knights. My guess is they were friends all along but Artorias or Gwyn kept Smough from being the fifth knight. Once everyone was gone they led the new regime (notice s's statue is same reverence as o's despite his less popular job and there are no statues of the other three knights). part of the friendship theory is that they work exceedingly well together and while s smashes o to get his power o doeshis version of the same trick. Since they both are only taking power from a dying friend it's actually not selfish at all. It's like a death pact between good friends. He got you but I'll show him for you pal. Also most lore in which warriors absorb power stems from a deep connection with the other party. Can't just steal anyone's powers or you'd come across a warrior who has everyone's abilities eventually. Even with our ability to absorb souls we don't learn each characters power we just make one of our inherent attributes a little better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm