Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Reaperfan
TheBigLebowski
lordgodofhell
Serious_Much
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
GkMrBane
mugenis4real
chaosrave
Wade_Wilson
RagingDragon_69
Yarxov
JoeBroski09
Eolan
barrywilkins
BLA1NE
Forum Pirate
Buggy Virus
21 posters

Fixing elemental weapons

JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Fixing elemental weapons - Page 4 Empty Re: Fixing elemental weapons

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:10 am

Did I sound like I was being defensive? Man.. so much misunderstanding going on.. My brain hurts haha!

I haven't played many RPG's either, but games like Balder's Gate had elemental weapons that didn't scale with character stats. It's a really classical RPG idea.

The small special, unique experiences you name are essentially what all elemental weapons would become. I don't really find that to be a bad thing. =/ Where more and more people would be using elemental weapons, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be as popular as they are now. They'd become more rare. Even a back-up weapon for specific bosses. In a similar way that someone would buff Power Within before a boss fight, someone may grab their elemental weapon for the fight.

Both your idea and Buggy's idea fixes the problem, even though Buggy's idea may be more complicated, sadly, I doubt From would take either idea.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:27 am

I didn't read the whole thread. Buggy your idea looks good but that's not enough punishment for using an elemental weapon at low levels. The best From can do it's update the damn game and remove the BB glitch. I'm 100% sure griefers won't go past sens at SL 1 for Lightning weapons, nor know how to kill Ceaseless with the running to the fog gate trick. Heck they won't even get through Blighttown to get the Chaos Ember. You kmow why? Because their lazy, and don't like hard work. Only cheap wins and minimum effort is what they like.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:48 am

From what level are elemental weapons not very useful anymore? 120? 140?
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 am

i think the DLC will get rid of the BB,
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:46 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:From what level are elemental weapons not very useful anymore? 120? 140?
    SL 80+.
    I have trouble doing damage sometimes with my fire G.Halberd +10 at sl 80 at times. Depending on their armor. Any levels above this it becomes useless.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

So many paragraphs. . .

Reaperfan. . .

Will read later and try to reply to them.
    SpecOps0
    Regular
    Regular

Post by SpecOps0 Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:44 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:
    TheBigLebowski wrote:From what level are elemental weapons not very useful anymore? 120? 140?
    SL 80+.
    I have trouble doing damage sometimes with my fire G.Halberd +10 at sl 80 at times. Depending on their armor. Any levels above this it becomes useless.

Yes fire and lightning weapons barely scratch me. To the point where I put my back against the wall letting the invader hit me a good 10+ times.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:59 pm

@ Reaper Fan

On the topic of it them being necessary to add new healing techniques and such to off set the use of elemental weapons doesn't seem like that big a deal. If healing was still only relegated through miracles then even the miracles we have now like soothing sunlight would be fine in dealing with a constant regeneration.

But also, with the genesis of my idea I didn't really think of healing as the counteract, but rather resistance or vitality and just having to deal with the fact you are slowly damaging yourself.

So really it wouldn't open a new briarpatch of problems having to deal with a new healing system. I don't see why a system similar to the current healing system couldn't sustain it. Also I think if there were more healing options in general in a souls game, (not related to this idea) I don't think that would be such a huge problem.

This would make the types of weapons that damage yourself like chaos blade or using power within more common, but I don't see the problem with that. And you asked about that making weapons like the chaos blade obsolete, I wouldn't suggest this for Dark Souls, maybe the next soul game. But even then I don't expect an idea like this to be considered.

On the topic of resistance and vitality being the effective stats for using stronger elemental weapons versus it just scaling with your level, I think scaling with your level is the worst possible idea.

Scaling with your level would mean that you could dump all your stat points into a pure caster build, then use a level scaling weapon, and you might as well have dumped all yoru points into dex with the damage the weapon would have scaling with your stats.

Level scaling weapons completely break the game.

On the topic of the idea behind elemental weapons and such, I'm not going to comment on whether they are canon or not. It seems tome that From puts in the game what they want, and we just accept it as canon afterwards.

All in all you would still get the effect of having high base AR weapons, simply there would be a trade off for not having to invest high stat points into anything. You could just deal with the damage dealt and be surgical with how you use your weapon, or you could put more points into vit and res to make it more viable.

Oh, on a final note I think that resistance would have to help with poise and do a better job with defense as well. I also have different ideas on how to tweak other stats which would make a powerful resistance stat make sense, but those are for a different thread.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm