Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
DamageCK
GkMrBane
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Wisp
Serious_Much
BoilerFan8472
10 posters

Are all pure magic builds spellsword?

BoilerFan8472
    BoilerFan8472
    Addicted
    Addicted

Are all pure magic builds spellsword? Empty Are all pure magic builds spellsword?

Post by BoilerFan8472 Thu May 31, 2012 8:34 am

So my pure magic build i thought up sucks, majorly. At 120 with 50 faith and 50 intelligence(like demon's tob builds) to use all miracles and spells with enough attunement to get enough slots to make that investment worth it, it just sucks in pvp and pve. Don't do it. You get no points left for vitality

So is the only good way to make a magic or faith build is to add dexterity to it?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Are all pure magic builds spellsword? Empty Re: Are all pure magic builds spellsword?

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 31, 2012 9:11 am

Well two weapons: Moonlight greatsword and butterfly horn buck that trend, and a +15 buffed even at low dex will still hit pretty damn hard.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Are all pure magic builds spellsword? Empty Re: Are all pure magic builds spellsword?

Post by Wisp Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am

Stop at 44 INT, you don't need to go past there since White Dragon Breath sucks.

Stop at 28 faith for wrath of god.

Use velka's talisman, which let's you cast miracles, but with the power derived from your INT instead.

I just saved you 30 soul levels.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 am

totally stop at 30 faith so you could use Faith weapon buffs!
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am

I was avoiding the "spellsword feel" and going more for a pure caster.
    BoilerFan8472
    BoilerFan8472
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by BoilerFan8472 Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 pm

The point of the build was to be able to use every type of spell like Demon's Souls.

It was more of an experiment if the old Talisman of Beasts build could be somewhat modified to work in Dark Souls. It can't unless you go over 120

@Wisp. I thought of that but that wasn't the point of the build. I do have a build that's built exactly like that though.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Oh i see lol, that's true
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Keep at it, eventually you may get something cool and original to work out for you. It is probably rough going now, but maybe you can get comfortable with it.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Thu May 31, 2012 1:59 pm

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3081399873558875

Try this.

Or you can even drop all the armor and equip the wolf ring and dragon body and just use spells after you roar.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Thu May 31, 2012 5:23 pm

When a build isn't doing what I want it to by 120, I just keep leveling. I mean, I already dislike the build anyway, and it's not as if going beyond 120 ruins PvP.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Thu May 31, 2012 6:41 pm

DamageCK wrote:When a build isn't doing what I want it to by 120, I just keep leveling. I mean, I already dislike the build anyway, and it's not as if going beyond 120 ruins PvP.

Listen to this man. If you can't get what you want by 120 keep going there will still be plenty of PvP.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu May 31, 2012 6:57 pm

I once made a 50 Int/30 Faith build. It also had 40 dex. But you could do that without Dex, if you are going to use Logan's catalyst stop at 44 Int, and use Velka's Talisman. Your spell speed will be slow without Dex though.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu May 31, 2012 7:25 pm

By definition, pure magic and spellsword are not the same thing. Unless I misunderstood the meaning:

- Pure Magic = Pure Caster. Check the build in my link (The Genius) for a perfect example.

- Spellsword = hybrid caster and melee fighter. Like Serious said, they make great use of the MLGS and MLBH.

A lot of people lean way more toward the melee side of the equation too, with those weapons, barely qualifying for the "spell" part of spellsword. Most melee fighters have a few slots for pyro, so I don't see why a "spellsword" who has the same number of attunment slots as those "pure melee" builds should have "spell" in their name! They just spent points in Int for scaling, rather than Dex or Str, but they're mostly just melee builds anyways.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Thu May 31, 2012 8:03 pm

My attempt at an SL120 pyro/int with max cast speed

http://tinyurl.com/7upc5at

Armour could be better I'm sure
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:58 am

Here's a pure Intelligence build. Mix and match spells as you please.

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3945490322483641
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:47 am

^Why GCS or a crossbow for a mage? If you really want dex, here's how I would make it (I just tweaked yours):

http://tinyurl.com/6tdcvha
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 am

Grass Crest is important because with End being that low, hes going to need his stamina coming back quickly if he wants to dodge in time. The pyro glove on the other hand was a great addition that I totally overlooked happy
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 am

Nah, base End gives you enough for (if I remember right) 4 rolls. Way more than you should ever need, to dodge anything! Dodge and cast, and your stamina will replenish while you're casting anyway. GCS is just unnecessary weight (not to mention: an eye sore. Way overused, I'd rather not use it on a build when it's marginally needed to begin with). But that's just me, I'm a bit more particular than others on certain subjects. If you feel like you need the increased stamina regen to dodge more, then by all means wield it!
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 am

Well I'm just assuming the he might have to do a little running on top of rolling, but all in all I think that pure INT builds make really great phantom support. Their also fun for invading with if you use you enviroment to your advantage, really tough to use in "honor" 1v1 though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am