Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
ChizFreak
befowler
DxV04
xXDaemonarchXx
DoughGuy
Serious_Much
Digitalyzed
nsane32
12 posters

nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma

nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma  Empty nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma

Post by nsane32 Wed May 23, 2012 3:13 pm

STORY
    the game has a interesting story your the arisen someone who has had their heart taken out by a dragon and has be cursed by the dragon so the main quest is to get your heart back from the dragon that took. Also from what I can tell no one has see a dragon in a very long time as they are the symbol of ultimate evil and all the dragons where slain long ago. The dragon that take your heart came from a dark realm know as the rift this is also where your companions come from. now as for the pawn they are lost soul they have the appearance of being human but they don't have emotions so they work has sell-swords to find their place and are sworn to serve the arisen.
    GAMEPLAY
    this is where the game really shines the combat is unique and the companions are very helpful they will hold enemy's down so you can strike they and work together to take down an enemy. The AI's also also work in groups rouge will try to back-stab you the tanks will charge you to get your attention and archers will take you down from long range as the others hold you down. My favorite system is the classes it similar to Kingdoms of Amular where you've got hybrid classes and can change you class anytime you want. As for enemies each has its own weakness and the more you fight enemies the more you learn also pawn you summon from other people may already know how to kill the monster and tell you it weakness. Pawns will have useful information on monsters and quest for example last night I was fight the monsters and they wouldn't stop spawning and one of the pawns I hired told to run I probably would of died. Their are quest every where NPC's have quest to give you and their is notice boards the game creators will also release new quest weekly for free. the game is can either drag you into a dark abyss or reward you with plenty of good stray from the path or go down the wrong road will end in death take the correct path and be rewarded with riches. The game can be rewarding or unrelenting similar to the Souls games
    PRESENTATION
    The game world is dark and monster filled every NPC you talk to say how bad everything is nothing is safe all the road are filled with monsters. The world is dark ruins dot the landscape and monster and bandits roam free, at night you cant see but a few feet forward with your lantern and zombies and other dark creatures will arise from the darkness. craves are dark and filled with water bats and monsters. the music ties everything together scary depressing music in darkness, a light melody when traveling and epic battle music in combat this game has some of the best music ive heard in games. the creatures are well designed the zombies have varying Armour and weapons they carry, ogres are big nasty monsters that target women, the cyclopes are towering beasts with massive power, everything is well made and the world feel lost among the monster, almost inhospitable for humans.
    CONCLUSION:Score 9.5
    the story is griping and the world is dark and monster filled with plenty but the combat is where the game makes it make filled with strategy and leaning weaknesses. the only thing missing is multiplayer other than that it is a great game and definitely worth the cost if you are not sure then rent I sure you will enjoy your adventure I will add new update as I play through the game

Last edited by nsane32 on Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma  Empty Re: nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma

Post by Digitalyzed Wed May 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Thank you for this review nsane, it's very helpful in my decision whether or not to buy the game.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma  Empty Re: nsane32's full review of Dragon Dogma

Post by nsane32 Wed May 23, 2012 4:11 pm

your welcome and I will add more as I continue through the main story but as I said it fun but rent it just to be sure
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm

I will do so. Do you have an in-depth opinion of magic in the game yet? Magic always plays a big role in an RPG for me.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Wed May 23, 2012 4:19 pm

have not played around with it on my character but my main pawn is a healing mage with some combat spell which are really powerful so a mage could be fun my battle mage can enhance his shield with fire and it will bounce back to enemys and my main pawn can also enhance are weapons with fire holy light and other elements so a mage could be very fun to play
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Wed May 23, 2012 4:42 pm

That sounds pretty cool to me, I'll definitely give it a shot then.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm

As you update the story, try and remove spoilers from it silly

Just more proof that I should give this a shot, thanks
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

God I pray that the internet is lying when it says the aus release is with the japan release.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 23, 2012 9:35 pm

hahaha you're gonna have names that are just in japanese in your world lol silly

Good luck feeling like you can trust pawns when you don't even know their names lol!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Im a real man, we play through the game with only 1 pawn! Also I have no idea how my extremely limited internet time will affect my pawns.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 pm

I don't think it will be too bad, sure it's just a case of simple downloading the reuploading pawn data rather than constant connection?

If not I'm sure there's in game pawns you can use lol
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 24, 2012 12:15 am

Guess who owns it? Also there are in game pawns so thats no problem.
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Thu May 24, 2012 3:55 am

Right, I know this is pretty unrelated to Dragons Dogma, but has anyone here played Two Worlds 2? I just think DD sounds like a similar game, and I know very few people who have played TW2.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 24, 2012 5:24 am

^I saw that once but decided not to get it. Then I read some reviews and they all said it was ok but had a lot of bugs.
    xXDaemonarchXx
    xXDaemonarchXx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xXDaemonarchXx Thu May 24, 2012 8:22 am

Digitalyzed wrote:Right, I know this is pretty unrelated to Dragons Dogma, but has anyone here played Two Worlds 2? I just think DD sounds like a similar game, and I know very few people who have played TW2.
    I have played two worlds 2, and it is somewhat similar but the combat is way better and dragons dogma
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 am

DoughGuy wrote:^I saw that once but decided not to get it. Then I read some reviews and they all said it was ok but had a lot of bugs.

Most of the glitches and bugs have been fixed now, and the community has released quite a lot of mods. The spell creation system on it is quite frankly amazing.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Thu May 24, 2012 9:15 am

Digitalyzed wrote:I will do so. Do you have an in-depth opinion of magic in the game yet? Magic always plays a big role in an RPG for me.

Watch this mage vid. Awesome I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=NrCiV4LOYk4&annotation_id=annotation_338255&feature=iv&v=Ec5JGtDZWvM

Last edited by DxV04 on Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 am

@ Serious,

Your pawn will always be avaiable in the riff even if you are using it at the time. And yes there are many pawns in the world that you can hire too.

@ Nsane, nice review bro! Thanks.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 24, 2012 9:26 am

Digitalyzed wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:^I saw that once but decided not to get it. Then I read some reviews and they all said it was ok but had a lot of bugs.

Most of the glitches and bugs have been fixed now, and the community has released quite a lot of mods. The spell creation system on it is quite frankly amazing.

The community has released mods.. I'm on console so it'll still be glitchy? supports that I intend to leave it a month before purchasing it.

Thanks Vega, I'm probably on my first run through gonna play the game trying to use the merc pawns in game so I get more of a feel for the world before using other's pawns.

also, I'm totally gonna be a mage on it big grin
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 24, 2012 9:28 am

^Boring. I'm going to go warrior or maybe strider depending on how I feel tomorrow.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 am

Boring? It's the same reason I went as a pure mage on skyrim, the combat physics for it depress me after Dark Souls, so just using magic and hitting people with a staff will be a change of pace silly

Also can people call it a ranger rather than strider? Just makes me think of Lord of the Rings lol!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 am

Nope never silly. Also magic is OP in every game. There is never a proper balance with melee and I prefer my games that bit harder. Especially now.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am

Oh god don't start the OP rants, we'll have everyone whining soon silly
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 am

:bom:
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu May 24, 2012 10:34 am

I haven't found it glitchy (I'm on PS3). And it can be challenging, particularly when different groups of foes get tangled up together. I had a brutal fight last night with a mix of lizardmen, high level bandits, and a wolfpack. The wolves in particular are a pain because they run in and out of the fight at high speed, and sometimes latch onto your ankle and keep you stuck in place so somebody else can wind up on you.

I started as a fighter and have since upgraded professions to warrior. There are some great combat moves out there, like a horrifying one where you stick your sword right through someone and then rachet it up and down and rip out about 2/3s of their life bar. It's amazing at giving your mage breathing space. I'm sure I'm wasting all sorts of skill points etc on my first playthrough, but all the builds seem viable and fun. You can also combine some skills from different professions that you've learned; my main has one skill that massively increases his carrying capacity (and therefore encumbrance) plus another that greatly reduces physical damage taken. So he can dance around at high speed while still tanking away with a greatsword. There's even a sort of ninja roll move you can do if you sprint for a second and then hit jump.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm