Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Digital Phoenix
Akatik
jjshowal
Federally
Serious_Much
SlakeMoth
JoeBroski09
User
Majikero07
billy_bayonet
Yarxov
Extertionist
Spurgun
callipygias
Sebastrd
TehInfamousAmos
Ulchishy
21 posters

Dark Souls Difficulty

Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Dark Souls Difficulty - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Souls Difficulty

Post by Yarxov Mon May 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Acidic_Cook wrote:Ugh. Indeed dark souls is a game that is unique to itself. I just played amnesia with my friend, and I made him play about 7 hours. That game has it's own definition of difficulty, which is, even more unique than dark souls, a mental one. The only actually scary game, and I stopped at one point because of it... It was, however, hard not to laugh at my friends reaction of playing

lol
    100th +1 Yay! Im so proud to have done it silly
    congrats!

And I failed that game, I was at the water part when suddenly the last of my lamp oil runs out...
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Mon May 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Dark Souls is a game of timing and patience. There's a certain flow to the game that, once you get on track, it gets easier. Now, the game won't hold your hand in most situations. But, as hard as the game is, it is not cheap. When you die, it's because you made a mistake, and not some arbitrary glitch or cheap move.

And once you do get the flow of the game, it becomes one of the most rewarding games in this generation. I beat one of the hardest bosses on my newest playthrough last night on the second attempt and it felt so good to watch them die at the end.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon May 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Akatik wrote:Dark Souls is a game of timing and patience. There's a certain flow to the game that, once you get on track, it gets easier. Now, the game won't hold your hand in most situations. But, as hard as the game is, it is not cheap. When you die, it's because you made a mistake, and not some arbitrary glitch or cheap move.

And once you do get the flow of the game, it becomes one of the most rewarding games in this generation. I beat one of the hardest bosses on my newest playthrough last night on the second attempt and it felt so good to watch them die at the end.

This man speaks truth. After throwing myself at those *** gargoyles dozens of times i realised how badly I'd picked my first few levels. Rerolled s new character, breezed through the burg and Parish then stuck it to the fire breathing pricks. No other video game ever made me feel as good as I did after that. Damnit Dark Souls is amazing!
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Federally wrote:
    Akatik wrote:Dark Souls is a game of timing and patience. There's a certain flow to the game that, once you get on track, it gets easier. Now, the game won't hold your hand in most situations. But, as hard as the game is, it is not cheap. When you die, it's because you made a mistake, and not some arbitrary glitch or cheap move.

This man speaks truth. After throwing myself at those *** gargoyles dozens of times i realised how badly I'd picked my first few levels. Rerolled s new character, breezed through the burg and Parish then stuck it to the fire breathing pricks. No other video game ever made me feel as good as I did after that. Damnit Dark Souls is amazing!

Right, and even the "cheaper" moments in the game (the archers, the first Capra) are not all that hard once you learn the trick through. But that's the two part nature of Dark Souls. You have to first learn how to win by dying over and over again. And then, once you know the way through, then you have to actually do it.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 pm

And then once you know you get over confident and die to a couple trash mobs and turn the console off in embarrassment.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon May 21, 2012 1:11 pm

I went past the first part of the prison... Down the hole. I quit afterwards, due to my heart not cooperating well with it. It is, indeed the scariest, and truley the only scariest, game... Ever. As an indie game, it is a MAJOR success. Silent hill, dead space, and other Horrer games, and even movies... It's jumpy, and a thriller, I can say with confidence. Scare? Not even close.

I must say, the game does well. It reminds me of the darkest nightmares a person can have. They did well. And thanks for the 100 reputation, that means a lot lol

I am trying to battle dark souls with the... Smaller weapons, with some characters. Mainly, the axes and the hammers, which are the very uncommon weapons used (people say people tried every combo in dark souls... No). It's different than using a dexterity weapon, as they are designed to be weak, but fast. The axes and hammers have a different taste late game and beyond.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon May 21, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm in love with the Hand Axe Acidic. Something so awesome about the look of it and for whatever reason it works for me
    Digital Phoenix

Post by Digital Phoenix Mon May 21, 2012 2:57 pm

It's really not that hard; it's just sparse on direction and can be relatively punishing. Co-op makes it especially easy since everyone is a master at the game now.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Digital Phoenix wrote:It's really not that hard; it's just sparse on direction and can be relatively punishing. Co-op makes it especially easy since everyone is a master at the game now.

Yeah co op kind of kills it. Now on the PC that will be different, even experienced players switching from consoles will start fresh. So it shouldn't be such the "I win" button it is now. Though I would still suggest a new player avoid it as much as possible first time through since you don't get any better using it. Unless of course you do it in reverse and help others defeat a boss you can't/haven't beaten to get some experience with the boss before attempting it solo. This is a great learning experience.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon May 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Difficulty is relative. You can power through Dark Souls as a SL1 if you know when to strike, when to roll, when to block and when to parry.

You can't do the same in Diablo; you just gotta have better gear.
    As it is, I think the difficulty in Dark Souls resides in the fact it actually asks you to be skilled, not to have lucky drop rates.
    Majikero07
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Majikero07 Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Lucky drop rates is still there. If you get any of the black knight weapons early on and put your stats to use them, you'll power through the early levels.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon May 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Majikero07 wrote:Lucky drop rates is still there. If you get any of the black knight weapons early on and put your stats to use them, you'll power through the early levels.

Stack 10 humanity and you're pretty much guaranteed one of the black knight weapons off the start of the game.
    Majikero07
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Majikero07 Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 pm

I keep getting at least 1 of the damned things on every character but the one I want is the shield.
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Mon May 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Ok... First playthrough, without using guides or walkthroughs can be unforgiving, but once you pass through it you feel like a champion.
    Then, you start to learn the game tactics, the places where the mobs are and how they attack. You start to learn how to increase your stats depending on your strategies...
    Seems like the game is starting to get easier, then you start feeling overpowered and ****... Then a spear hollow stunlocks you because you missed a parry...
    You Died!!!!
    You get upset because you lost over a million souls and more than 50 humanities, you run to get your bloodstain back and through the same path you could walk with your eyes closed, suddenly you slipped and ...
    You Died!!!!

It never ends. That is Dark Souls... You get distracted and it will take away everything from you.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 pm

^That situation actually happened to me, invading burg at sl 90, lose while talking to the merchant. On my way to get the bloodstain I need retribution so I fight the spear hollow, miss parry 1, 2 and stunlocked for 3 and 4.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon May 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Majikero07 wrote:Lucky drop rates is still there. If you get any of the black knight weapons early on and put your stats to use them, you'll power through the early levels.

Thing is; I don't require a BK Halberd +5 to finish the game. I can do just as fine with a Longsword +15. So drop rates aren't vital at all.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue May 22, 2012 1:42 am

Wade_Wilson wrote:

Stack 10 humanity and you're pretty much guaranteed one of the black knight weapons off the start of the game.

Yes but there is inherent risk in running around as a low level with a bunch of soft humanity. Not to mention a low level cannot one hand any of them, which means you better learn to block, 2H, then attack in a hurry or that weapon will kill you just as often as it kills things for you. I remember annihilating the Burg with my BK Sword, then screwed up trying to 1H attack the Taurus Demon and get **** smashed.

However to make the point about having to have equipment, I beat the game wearing my wanderer's starting armor, just upgraded it. So farming for gear isn't necessary in DkS, though gear can help, you can simply get better at the game, use what you want and be successful.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Tue May 22, 2012 1:45 am

Trust me when I say this, Dark Souls is definitely not some Hello Kitty Adventure.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 am

Federally wrote:However to make the point about having to have equipment, I beat the game wearing my wanderer's starting armor, just upgraded it. So farming for gear isn't necessary in DkS, though gear can help, you can simply get better at the game, use what you want and be successful.

^This man speaks the truth.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 am

Azran wrote:
    Federally wrote:However to make the point about having to have equipment, I beat the game wearing my wanderer's starting armor, just upgraded it. So farming for gear isn't necessary in DkS, though gear can help, you can simply get better at the game, use what you want and be successful.

^This man speaks the truth.

Of course he is! My egg bearer still wears the holy robes set. . . She still is in NG+++

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am