Back stabbing. a deeper look.

FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Re: Back stabbing. a deeper look.

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Fri May 18, 2012 2:02 pm

yea i agree maybe having it do less dmg. i agree with having a lot of stuff do less dmg especially buffs and spells. i have faith that from will keep working at balancing their game, hopefully in the dlc. i just dont want them to make the gameplay more simplistic for new comers.
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally on Fri May 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Changing the backstab would make it harder, not easier. The BS is a crutch bad players use to win fights, so modifying it would make the game harder not easier. You're just looking at it from the point of view of the victim, but look at it from the perpetrator's perspective. How many fights have you lost to guys who weren't better then you because they were able to abuse broken mechanics and Lag Stab you? If you're experience is at all like mine It's a lot. So this glitchy broken mechanic makes PvP easy for shotty players. So I think you should reconsider your line of thinking.

Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm

well thats your opinion. although i agree lag can make backstabs seem really cheap, a majority of the time its a decent connection and if you get backstabed it was most likely deserved. I dont like when people refer to any bs as a lagstab. Backstabbing is not that easy, most players are very good at countering or avoiding backstabs.

there are a ton of players who just arent very good when it comes to countering/avoiding backstabs, and i dont think we should make the game easier for them. like i said i agree lag can create moments where backstabs are cheap,but lag can make almost any offensive attack in the game cheap. go to the kiln and try to do nothing but backstab people, i bet you will get some of the above mentioned people but most players will either counter it(backstabbing you) or just not allow you too. my problem is a lot of the people who complain about backstabs have no problem using +3 dmb and wog excessively. there will always be players who use bad connections or lag switches, but in a 1vs1 with a good connection i think backstabs are in no means unbalanced or broken. practice in a friendly duel if your having trouble avoiding bs. just tell them to use an un upgraded weapon and try their hardest to land a bs, then practice avoiding. look up on how to counter them, theres a simple method for pivot bs and lock bs where you switch positions and get a bs on the aggressor.

edit:im not trying to say im perfect at it, and i find players who are pro at unlock roll bs that can punish pretty much anything. this games mechanics arent simple, mastering them takes a lot of practice. i have well over 700hrs of just pvp experience and im by no means a pro. just try not to take losses so seriously, it ruins the game. at least it does for me.

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Fri May 18, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising on Fri May 18, 2012 4:43 pm

I only have a couple suggestions when it comes to backstabs...

1. remove or nerf the hornet ring for PVP...there are literally no reprocussions for using it and it adds a rediculously high bonus for criticals...

2. critical hit damage should NOT be a set amount for all weapons...it should depend on the weapons base dmg...higher base dmg/lower critical damage and vice versa...

Just my 2 cents...other than that i really have no major issues with it...its a tad frustrating at times but oh well...lol

Neowraith - Scarred Lord
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik on Fri May 18, 2012 4:54 pm

I personally think backstabs are great, but lag makes them a bit of an issue. They're among the only ways to deal with multiple opponents at once, and most BS techniques are fairly easy to counter. In a no-lag environment I think they're great. In the forest, they're are great. In a duel, no. Unless you leave yourself WAY open I won't BS you, and that cripples my rapier builds because I'm not amazing at parrying.

So, in an ideal situation with no lag and 1v1 they're fine. In most fights I get into (laggy, 1v1), I won't use them. In any anti-gank sit I will abuse every mechanic I possibly can to make my enemies die horribly.

dwx

Post by dwx on Fri May 18, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm fairly new to DS and the BS in PvP is one of the few things I really can't stand along with the use of the DWGR. I've found ways to counter it for the most part but the amount of people that just circle strafe around trying to get a BS in is amazing. Also, when I am mid-roll and all of a sudden the BS animation starts, it's completely unrealistic. I understand most of that has to do with lag most of the time, but it's just not a fun part of the game.

Slow heavy weapons like the BKGA should have way less ability to BS. The fact you can hit R1 at an instant and start an animation with a huge heavy weapon which normally swings slow makes no sense to me. In normal non-BS play you are penalized for using a heavy weapon by slow swings with the reward of high damage. There is a reason why the game bad guys which actually use BS are carrying lighter weapons like rapiers or knives.
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri May 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Bottom line: Everyone will always find something to complain about in any situation ever. Ignore them. Its part of the game, deal with it and stop complaining, or email From. Complaining here isn't likely to accomplish anything, where talking directly to the developer just might, especially if 40,000 people email complaining about the same things.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm

mugenis4real wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    mugenis4real wrote:After crunching some numbers ive come to a conclusion. From is not going to change backstabbing, and as "broken" as it is, we really are just going to have to keep dealing with it.

lol, 'crunching numbers' silly

But yeah, as much as I'd like it to be removed from PvP since lag causes abuse of the mechanic and makes it pretty broken, it's not going to be, as it's intented to be there as punishment for a bad mistake.

FROM is not gonna change anything in the game to make our lives easier either, thats for certain.
    Yea I pulled out my crayons then added together the total number of pages in all 7 Harry Potter books combined and divided by Dark Souls. My equation went like this:

(Books+Wizards)÷Dark Souls= Backstabs Forever

But my math could be off, can anyone confirm for me?

Lol, don't get the need of the harry potter books, but looks like your math is faultless there.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:07 pm