Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
strangejoy
aceluby
C7081
7 posters

All in one pure mage build?

C7081
    C7081
    Casual
    Casual

All in one pure mage build? Empty All in one pure mage build?

Post by C7081 Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 pm

After I found out my strength build is just lame I`m going for a mage with sorcery, pyromancy AND miracles.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=U29yY2VyZXIsMTIwLDgsNTAsMTIsMTAsMTEsOCw1MCw1MA==

The 10 Str are for the Crest shield (in the right hand two-handed for max stability) and the endurance is for more rolling away.
    But does it even make sense to go to 50 with all 3 stats or should I better go to ~40 each and put Vit up to ~35?

What spells should I use for my 9-12 (with rings) slots?

P.S: Try out poison throwing knifes, quite useful in pvp
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

All in one pure mage build? Empty Re: All in one pure mage build?

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:29 pm

50 att is unnecessary IMO I'd go for 7 spells at the very most (boost w/ rings if you want) and put some of that into Vit and End. Do you not plan on using weapons at all? Seems very one dimensional for a PvP build, I don't know though, could be powerful if played well. But I guess you can try out both and see which works better. Personally I think not having ANY melee is going to put you at a disadvantage. Also, what armor do you plan on wearing?
    C7081
    C7081
    Casual
    Casual

Post by C7081 Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:04 pm

I will use something like the golden hemmed armor or the shadow armor OR I use havel`s ring + dwgr/rofap for a bit heavier armor.
    Well I would use Great Combustion and WoG as melee options, but I could also use the crystal catalyst as weapon (one dimensial but it does some ok damage). The dragon body`s roar could be used for melee as well I think :/
    Oh and cast light is told to do quite high damage by rolling into your opponent big grin
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Well... try it out and see how it works out for ya. Just do your bb glitch and invade/get invaded in the burg and see what happens.

My guess is you're going to get backstabbed and/or stunlocked... a lot. I also think you're going to have some trouble finishing people off if you get them down in health. I'm guessing you'll be putting the talisman and pyro glove in the left hand and catalyst in the right?
    C7081
    C7081
    Casual
    Casual

Post by C7081 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Exactly.
    Well since I`m always going to be backing away from them they shouldn`t be able to backstab me. Stunlocking on the other hand could become a problem, yeah...
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm

You can't back away when you're casting. That's when mages get backstabbed. It's amazing how many people think they can cast HSCM while they're standing right next to me! Free BS!
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:50 pm

strangejoy wrote:You can't back away when you're casting. That's when mages get backstabbed. It's amazing how many people think they can cast HSCM while they're standing right next to me! Free BS!

This, plus it happens w/ great combustion as well.

I've tried the sorcery/pyro only approach and it's just not as effective as you'd think
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

demons catalyst has the best melee attack, imo. and i would suggest picking up a moonlight spear for whatever melee does come your way.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:demons catalyst has the best melee attack, imo. and i would suggest picking up a moonlight spear for whatever melee does come your way.

There's not enough end for any kind of effective melee... or dodging for that matter.
    C7081
    C7081
    Casual
    Casual

Post by C7081 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Alright guys, thanks for all the input!
    I`m going to just alter my spellsword build to either this
    http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwxMjAsNDQsMTksNDAsMTYsMTQsMTIsNTAsOA==
    or this
    http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=UHlyb21hbmNlciwxMjAsNTAsMTksNDAsMTYsMTQsMTIsNDQsOA==
    Just not sure if TCC or WDB are worth the Int :S
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:54 pm

IMO the TCC is only viable if you're mainly melee or triple up on CSS and double up on HCSM. 2 or even 4 shots of CSS is just not a lot when it is so easy to dodge.

WDB is useless unless you manually aim and even then it's sooooo slow to cast that it's hard to use in PvP. 44 int maxes out Logan's catalyst...
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I say go for the build! I've wanted to see one of these builds work out for a LONG TIME!

My suggestion to you! You won't need te 50 attunement, I'd go for 34ish. Screw pyromancy because you'll be dealing 4x as much damage with your spells as long as you specialize in ONLY casting.

Take the extra points from attunement and put them into vit/end. Take the one point you use in str and put it into dex and wield a bandits knive or estoc. Either one put to +15 and keep CMW/DMB on hand. The shield is up to you, you're a bit limited as far as your str goes but learn to parry and dodge and you can go shield-less. I'd equip rings and armor that boos the power of sorceries, and possibly the ring of FaP.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:39 pm

I agree with the lower number of spell slots. 7 is plenty. Get yourself to 40 Vit and around 32 endurance, and you'll be able to full roll with a shield, estoc, catalyst, and decent robe set. The best mages in PvP will always go at you with swords first. Spells are fantastic secondary attacks that keep your enemy cautious. If I even get a sniff of a backstab, I'll dodge and cast quickly.
    C7081
    C7081
    Casual
    Casual

Post by C7081 Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:45 pm

ErrJon6661 wrote:I say go for the build! I've wanted to see one of these builds work out for a LONG TIME!

My suggestion to you! You won't need te 50 attunement, I'd go for 34ish. Screw pyromancy because you'll be dealing 4x as much damage with your spells as long as you specialize in ONLY casting.

Take the extra points from attunement and put them into vit/end. Take the one point you use in str and put it into dex and wield a bandits knive or estoc. Either one put to +15 and keep CMW/DMB on hand. The shield is up to you, you're a bit limited as far as your str goes but learn to parry and dodge and you can go shield-less. I'd equip rings and armor that boos the power of sorceries, and possibly the ring of FaP.
    But what about Great Combustion big grin Isn`t it the highest damaging spell besides css? And what miracles should I use? The lightning miracles seem like slow soul spears to me.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm not sure if it is or not. But why not try and be a bit different?

As far as miracles go the most useful are emit force, force, wog, vow of silence, twop, heal, great heal, replenishment, sunlight blade and darkmoon blade.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 pm

You don't need 50 Int and 50 Fth. But if you really want both, try this:

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=U29yY2VyZXIsMTIwLDM0LDUwLDEyLDEwLDExLDgsNDQsMzA=

- Enough Int to cast CSS
    - Enough Fth to cast WoG
    - Enough Vit to survive at least 1 hit! silly

I recommend Ring of FaP and Bellowing Dragoncrest.

Spells:

HCSM
    CSS x3
    Great Fireball x2
    Greater Combustion x2
    WoG x2

You can attune the multiples however you like, but that's what I would recommend. Also, ditch the shield. Just be under 25% equip weight and roll around a lot. Have fun!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:28 am