What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Share
    avatar
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1213
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-03-14
    Age : 24
    Location : NYC

    What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by mugenis4real on Thu May 17, 2012 3:38 am

    I have noticed a steady drop in my Reputation as of late.

    Am I being rude to other members? No.
    Am I spreading false information? No.
    Am I encouraging any foul play? No.

    I spend a ton of time on my character builds, fine tuning them for PvP. Everything from armor setups to weapons have to be perfect, not a single SL can go to waste. Often I use items that have been deemed "cheap" or "OP" but it is really so wrong to even suggest to another forum member something like, "hey your build looks pretty sweet but it would be really nasty with MoTM". If I use 2-3 slots of a certain spell then I receive criticism like "your just a spammer" and so on. So I guess what I really want to know is...

    What Armors, Weapons, Spell, etc. do you look down on and why?

    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1776
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Age : 48
    Location : Oregon, US

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by callipygias on Thu May 17, 2012 3:52 am

    The only thing I look down on in the game is op weaps early game, whether it's an invader or co-oper.

    On the forum what really drives me crazy is the incessant whining of invaders. I try to avoid threads that look like they'll contain all kinds of ganker-whines, but the God damned subject permeates almost everything. I've always hated invaders, but I think now I may actually hate them MORE than I hate 'gankers.' Well, it's not really fair to say I hate gankers, I just think they're kind of pathetic, I guess.


    _________________
    XBL: callipygias33
    PSN: callipygias33


    "It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

    "Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

    "Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 am

    I would prbably say I look down on gankers...it's just pthetic that you need to be 3 on one spamming attack at the spawning point...

    I also say I look down on the peope who BB glitch for the sake of pvp in early lvls, where is the fun killing a lvl 4 with starting gear when you have the smough stuffs flipping around with a DKGA?

    Seriousley, people who does that don't seem to understand that rea players ain't gonna see them as cool, or awesome players...cause real players will know that they lost to the items, not the player...it's just sad..

    When it comes to stuffs like spamming magic I say Yes, it's annoying, but as well as you can stunlock someone with a sword, you should also be allowed to spam WOTG, You CAN avoid that so it's not overpowered in my opinion.

    oh..ofcourse I look down on hackers..I consider them being worth less than the rats in depths....


    _________________
    avatar
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 965
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-04-25

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Azran on Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 am

    Maybe you are a victim of Random Trolling ®? Any reputation system suffers from that.


    _________________
    PSN: Azran-

    Proper story’s supposed to start at the beginning. Ain’t so simple with this one. Now here’s a kid whose whole world got all twisted, leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky.
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 am

    You know the rules of online gaming. If it kills someone else, they'll cry "Overpowered"


    _________________
    Golden rays of the glorious sunshine, sending down such a blood-red light
    Now the animals slowly retreat to the shadows, out of sight
    Arid winds blow across the mountains, giving flight to the birds of prey
    In the distance machines come to transform Eden, day by day
    Only love is with us now, something warm and pure!
    Find the peace within ourselves, no need for the cure!
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 am

    Wade_Wilson wrote:You know the rules of online gaming. If it kills someone else, they'll cry "Overpowered"

    I'm not sure if you try call me a crybaby or something, but I'm pretty sure it IS overpower when you do around 700 dmg in lvl 4, but if that's not it, you go ahead and tell me what it is that is overpowered happy
    avatar
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1658
    Reputation : 65
    Join date : 2012-01-22

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by bloodpixel on Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 am

    TWoP gets me raging pretty hard, especially when I don't have a shield.


    _________________
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 am

    bloodpixel wrote:TWoP gets me raging pretty hard, especially when I don't have a shield.

    I don't see the problem, it's a valid miracle, if you choose to not use a shield, then that's your choice isn't it?

    I know alot of people has your reaction to it, but to be honest, I don't understand why so many is raging about it, sure, you can't roll, you get slower, but there is still things you can use to counter it
    avatar
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 762
    Reputation : 21
    Join date : 2012-04-23
    Age : 24
    Location : Flying in the skies above

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Dubscythe on Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 am

    Flipping tanks and Hornet Ring BS fishers.


    _________________


    Resident PvP punching bag
    avatar
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1658
    Reputation : 65
    Join date : 2012-01-22

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by bloodpixel on Thu May 17, 2012 6:05 am

    Kaminari wrote:
    bloodpixel wrote:TWoP gets me raging pretty hard, especially when I don't have a shield.

    I don't see the problem, it's a valid miracle, if you choose to not use a shield, then that's your choice isn't it?

    I know alot of people has your reaction to it, but to be honest, I don't understand why so many is raging about it, sure, you can't roll, you get slower, but there is still things you can use to counter it
    I haven't found any except circling as I raise my shield up, if I actually happen to have a good one.


    _________________

    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1776
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Age : 48
    Location : Oregon, US

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by callipygias on Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 am

    Kaminari wrote:I also say I look down on the peope who BB glitch for the sake of pvp in early lvls, where is the fun killing a lvl 4 with starting gear when you have the smough stuffs flipping around with a DKGA?

    Seriousley, people who does that don't seem to understand that rea players ain't gonna see them as cool, or awesome players
    Each time through the Burg with my awesome new sl 6 guy I stop and do TONS of co-op, mostly to help new people get past those invaders. There are quite a few co-opers in the Burg for the same reason. Unfortunately most of them use their endgame/glitched gear against the engine too. Ruins the game. I crystal out if anyone's attack does more than about 100hp.


    _________________
    XBL: callipygias33
    PSN: callipygias33


    "It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

    "Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

    "Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 6:08 am

    bloodpixel wrote:
    Kaminari wrote:
    bloodpixel wrote:TWoP gets me raging pretty hard, especially when I don't have a shield.

    I don't see the problem, it's a valid miracle, if you choose to not use a shield, then that's your choice isn't it?

    I know alot of people has your reaction to it, but to be honest, I don't understand why so many is raging about it, sure, you can't roll, you get slower, but there is still things you can use to counter it
    I haven't found any except circling as I raise my shield up, if I actually happen to have a good one.

    I agree with that everyone has right to have their opinion, my opinion about your argument however, is that you can't blame someone that you don't have the equipment to counter them, but then again, everyone has right to have their own opinion happy
    avatar
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1658
    Reputation : 65
    Join date : 2012-01-22

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by bloodpixel on Thu May 17, 2012 6:12 am

    Kaminari wrote:
    bloodpixel wrote:
    Kaminari wrote:
    bloodpixel wrote:TWoP gets me raging pretty hard, especially when I don't have a shield.

    I don't see the problem, it's a valid miracle, if you choose to not use a shield, then that's your choice isn't it?

    I know alot of people has your reaction to it, but to be honest, I don't understand why so many is raging about it, sure, you can't roll, you get slower, but there is still things you can use to counter it
    I haven't found any except circling as I raise my shield up, if I actually happen to have a good one.

    I agree with that everyone has right to have their opinion, my opinion about your argument however, is that you can't blame someone that you don't have the equipment to counter them, but then again, everyone has right to have their own opinion happy
    Actually now that I think about it, the thing I really rage about is TWoP+Ganker. That makes me super rage.


    _________________

    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1776
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Age : 48
    Location : Oregon, US

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by callipygias on Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 am

    Gankers make an invader rage? There should be a thread about that!


    _________________
    XBL: callipygias33
    PSN: callipygias33


    "It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

    "Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

    "Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    avatar
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4072
    Reputation : 124
    Join date : 2012-04-19
    Age : 32
    Location : Iowa, USA

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Federally on Thu May 17, 2012 6:19 am

    As far as SL120 PvP the only thing I really hate are the Twop + WotG spammers. Twop itself doesn't bother me, its a valid strategy because its both effective and can be countered if you're good. However Twop + WotG is just ridiculous and really saps the fun out of PvP, though I blame FROM just as much as the users of said "strategy".

    There are other things that annoy me but its mostly because I can't counter them because I'm a mediocre player. I may think some of them are a bit cheap but I won't complain about it.

    Now its a different story when it comes to low levels in the Burg. It's just pretty annoying to be rolling a new character and get one shotted by an invader using a Lightning Alvyna (that dumb crossbow from Duke's). Or any of the other equally absurd happenings there. Then again FROM shares blame because they didn't balance gear vs SL and allowed for guys to get ridiculous gear at very low SLs and ruin the lives of new players.

    Note, while I may not like your preffered builds or gear I wouldn't neg rep you for it. That's dumb


    _________________
    avatar
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 941
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-19
    Location : In the forest warming up on Covi's

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by GkMrBane on Thu May 17, 2012 9:26 am

    I think its best said as different streaks for different freaks.

    Do what makes you happy and if that doesnt work do something else that makes you happy.


    _________________
    Forum Pirate wrote:One can learn to like having nails driven through their knees. Doesn't mean they'll enjoy learning.


    "Plain Childish" said the small man, to which the much bigger man said "it wont seem so childish when it happens to you"

    The Silver Big hat SL 200 (anti-mage, mage) http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=299020992731779294

    And his little mage hunting brother SL100 http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=391801110669564162

    Move Like a Rapier Sting like a claymore http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=329792397855464820

    If the cost of keeping a thread on topic is a down vote then I will make that sacrifice.
    avatar
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5912
    Reputation : 177
    Join date : 2012-02-27
    Age : 28
    Location : ENGLAND!!!

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by billy_bayonet on Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 am

    i gnereal dont loko down on anything i dislike people constantly trying to get a backstab, as anyone who has ever dueled me knows i never BS, even if an opponent leaves themselves open, but thats just personal preference i think a much longer duel is way more fun then a OHKO,


    _________________
    "War is based on deception"- Sun Tzu

    "No matter how honourable you think you are we all have a darkside"
    Despair shall become you


    lordgodofhell wrote:I love receiving hatemail but this is more like stupidmail on his part. Still, I can feel his pain. I mean, we all know Billy is OP need nerf.

    Graelaoch wrote:! Oh yes, Billy is Op and needs nerf. laughing
    avatar
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 822
    Reputation : 26
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by lextune on Thu May 17, 2012 10:50 am

    mugenis4real wrote:I have noticed a steady drop in my Reputation as of late.

    Am I being rude to other members? No.
    Am I spreading false information? No.
    Am I encouraging any foul play? No.

    I spend a ton of time on my character builds, fine tuning them for PvP. Everything from armor setups to weapons have to be perfect, not a single SL can go to waste. Often I use items that have been deemed "cheap" or "OP" but it is really so wrong to even suggest to another forum member something like, "hey your build looks pretty sweet but it would be really nasty with MoTM". If I use 2-3 slots of a certain spell then I receive criticism like "your just a spammer" and so on. So I guess what I really want to know is...

    What Armors, Weapons, Spell, etc. do you look down on and why?

    Someone posted their build and you suggested they become a mask wearing, ninja-flipping Havel instead. is it really any wonder you got a negative rep for it? Lol.


    _________________
    XBL GT: lextune

    A Bunch of My Builds
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 10:55 am

    lextune wrote:
    mugenis4real wrote:I have noticed a steady drop in my Reputation as of late.

    Am I being rude to other members? No.
    Am I spreading false information? No.
    Am I encouraging any foul play? No.

    I spend a ton of time on my character builds, fine tuning them for PvP. Everything from armor setups to weapons have to be perfect, not a single SL can go to waste. Often I use items that have been deemed "cheap" or "OP" but it is really so wrong to even suggest to another forum member something like, "hey your build looks pretty sweet but it would be really nasty with MoTM". If I use 2-3 slots of a certain spell then I receive criticism like "your just a spammer" and so on. So I guess what I really want to know is...

    What Armors, Weapons, Spell, etc. do you look down on and why?

    Someone posted their build and you suggested they become a mask wearing, ninja-flipping Havel instead. is it really any wonder you got a negative rep for it? Lol.

    I could as well give you a negative rep for using the word "lol" that is far more common than being a MoTM ninja flipping havel,

    He just said that the character would be stronger that way, and he said it was up to the user, he never tried to force his suggestion on the user, and that is not the only time his rep has ben going down for what I have seen, without a reason.

    Giving a minus rep cause he suggest an effective but really common build is just bulls*it, that mean that in a few month, we should start give bad rep as soon as someone does a glasscannon then?
    avatar
    Zechk
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 461
    Reputation : 54
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : London, UK

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Zechk on Thu May 17, 2012 10:57 am

    Keep it civil or this gets locked folks.


    _________________
    Lover. Fighter. Legend.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Serious_Much on Thu May 17, 2012 11:03 am

    Zechk wrote:Keep it civil or this gets locked folks.

    My god something for you guys to do :shock: silly

    So Mugen I know the post you were referring to, the reason you got negative rep from that is probably because you took the build, which was imaginative, unique and then turned it towards the direction of min/maxing and armour 'cheap' players use, which people on here in general do not like (I am one of those, it ruins variety).

    Unfortunately people will neg rep things they don't like, even if it is an improvement, if it's something like "I think you should wear mask of mum, full giants and use BKGA", or "you should use TWOP with your build to increase efficiency" then it'll get neg repped. I think really that allowing people to have slightly less 'efficient' and numerically perfect builds to just have one that they enjoy using and it unique should be encouraged, rather than telling them to go put on the armour the majority of underhanded players use.

    However, your point about unjust neg repping is well taken though +1


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 11:07 am

    [quote="Serious_Much"]
    Zechk wrote:

    the reason you got negative rep from that is probably because you took the build, which was imaginative, unique and then turned it towards the direction of min/maxing, which people on here in general do not like (I am one of those, it ruins variety).

    Unfortunately people will neg rep things they don't like, even if it is an improvement, if it's something like "I think you should wear mask of mum, full giants and use BKGA", or "you should use TWOP with your build to increase efficiency" then it'll get neg repped. I think really that allowing people to have slightly less 'efficient' and numerically perfect builds to just have one that they enjoy using and it unique should be encouraged, rather than telling them to go put on the armour the majority of underhanded players use.

    However, your point about unjust neg repping is well taken though +1

    Oh..my..god..Please...just PLEASE tell me where he did not allow the player to use what he wanted to? He gaved a suggestion, wich players normaly wants, then what the player do with the sugesstion is up to him or her, once again, he never forced the player do change, he never said he did not allow the player to do the build he or she intended to do, he gaved a suggestion...I really..really don't see why he should have a bad rep for it.
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by RANT on Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 am

    people that abuse backstabs, the mechanic is broken because of lag, it might seem like a legit bs on your screen but on their side it was a lagstab, imo it ruins pvp because of that damn lag, put yourself in their shoes and tell me it doesnt suck.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 561
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-05

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Kaminari on Thu May 17, 2012 11:13 am

    RantFromRant wrote:people that abuse backstabs, the mechanic is broken because of lag, it might seem like a legit bs on your screen but on their side it was a lagstab, imo it ruins pvp because of that damn lag, put yourself in their shoes and tell me it doesnt suck.

    if this was to me, I can only say that I have no memory of that he ever said anything about trying to backstab.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Serious_Much on Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 am

    Kaminari wrote:
    Oh..my..god..Please...just PLEASE tell me where he did not allow the player to use what he wanted to? He gaved a suggestion, wich players normaly wants, then what the player do with the sugesstion is up to him or her, once again, he never forced the player do change, he never said he did not allow the player to do the build he or she intended to do, he gaved a suggestion...I really..really don't see why he should have a bad rep for it.

    Please don't twist my words, I really don't appreciate it. I never said he should get neg repped for it, thats just the most likely reason, I'd use the example of Lextune's response above.

    I simply meant that you can choose whether to suggest things like using stuff like that, and if it's a player who is new to PvP or the game in general of course they're gonna go with the suggestions of more armour and looking ugly at expense, since they'll go with whatever more experienced players tell them.

    It's more of an influencing effect than a forcing one, but it still works in the same way, the guy ends up using the same armour as everyone else, which is a shame since variety keeps PvP fresh.


    Last edited by Serious_Much on Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

    Sponsored content

    Re: What does our Dark Souls forum community look down on?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:13 pm