Dirty Tricks

Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dirty Tricks

Post by Delvanoc on Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 pm

So, I am making my way through the catacombs, making a leisurely pace. I get invaded by this guy who lagstabs me. Alright, it happens... continue my leisurely stroll.. he invades again... again he lagstabs...

Alright.. begin again and he invades again. So, I set myself on the bridge controll and watch him jump to the bridge take a step and flip goes the switch. Ah, sweet sweet dirty environment tactics.
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Dirty Tricks

Post by Imarreteet23 on Sat May 12, 2012 9:58 pm

I love it when that happens.

Keh heh heh heh.

Stay nerdy, my friends.
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam on Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 pm

I want to make a Patches cosplay...

Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Delvanoc on Sat May 12, 2012 11:24 pm

A patches cosplay, rofl. I forsee some upset hosts in your future. But oh so funny.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN on Sun May 13, 2012 12:18 am

Fantastic! Lol

Dark Souls addicted...I love our Fight Club!!!
    Fight Club Level 120 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t3178-fight-club-sl120-psn
    Fight Club Level 225 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t1472-fight-club-sl225-psn

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Sun May 13, 2012 1:30 am

Did you get hate-mail? That would have made it even better...

Imarreteet23 wrote:Keh heh heh heh.
    lol

Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 am

Imarreteet23 wrote:I love it when that happens.

Keh heh heh heh.

Thats Oswald laugh!

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Delvanoc on Sun May 13, 2012 3:35 am

I expected hatemail. Even had my response ready, but alas, nothing. I actually wanted the hate mail. Like you said, it would have made it ao much better.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus on Sun May 13, 2012 9:57 am

So. . . if you're the host, invaders can't lagstab. You're the host, thus they are connecting over your and his internet connection. What appears on your console is exactly what is happening, in other words you have no lag.

Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Delvanoc on Mon May 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Then explain to me how he backstabbed me while standing in front of me?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm

its a matter of upload v.s download, the rate at which data is given and received. these two speeds aren't nessesarily the same thus allowing an invader with higher download rate than upload rate to do warp stabs in the hosts view because fewer of his actions are coming through to be seen by the host than are being sent to him to judge position. at least thats how i understand it, and just because your hosting does not preclude lag, often invaders and phantoms lag much worse than hosts since they are connecting to a place far away, so while their still there it takes time for their actions to come across makling them skip frames of movement resulting in lag stabs since the host isn't shown some of the invaders movement. i hope this isnt as confusing as i think it is...

Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:its a matter of upload v.s download, the rate at which data is given and received. these two speeds aren't nessesarily the same thus allowing an invader with higher download rate than upload rate to do warp stabs in the hosts view because fewer of his actions are coming through to be seen by the host than are being sent to him to judge position. at least thats how i understand it, and just because your hosting does not preclude lag, often invaders and phantoms lag much worse than hosts since they are connecting to a place far away, so while their still there it takes time for their actions to come across makling them skip frames of movement resulting in lag stabs since the host isn't shown some of the invaders movement. i hope this isnt as confusing as i think it is...

yep, sometimes i get invaded and i see the invader skipping all over the place wich is actually really funny.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Mon May 14, 2012 2:13 pm

lol, it's not dirty it's brilliant. Dark Souls is made so you can do stuff like this, from Force/WoG off ledges to surprise plunging attacks it's made so that you can surprise your enemy, things like that help keep online play fresh and fun.

Also, I hate to admit it, but once i used bridge controls to kill my phantoms, it was hilarious.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus on Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 pm

People standing in front of you and back stabbing you is a glitch in the game.

The idea of upload v. download speed is interesting, but shouldn't apply. Since you are hosting that means the world you are within is entirely generated by the host, so there isn't a download and upload speed for the host and the invader, just the invader. There is a time for the server to download his commands, during which it just places him where he should be, then there upload back to the invader of the info from the server to where he is. In essence the info needs to leave the invaders console get to yours and travel back to his, and all the while your console is simply rendering what it thinks is happening.

I know that occasionally invaders skip around, but I would rack that up to performance and frame rate issues, but generally my description above is what is happening. The Dark Souls system may vary a little, but from my experience that is how it generally works.

Strange back stabs or "lagstabs," are normally generated from strange glitches in the game code where your hit box doesn't more, not necessarily lag. A good example of this is watching videos of people with great connection who have a long duel with someone then suddenly get, "lagstabbed." It wasn't because their connection timed out, but because of exploitation of the game.

Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally on Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 am

As host I get lag stabbed all the time. Yesterday I PvP'd for hours and hosted the whole time. I was lag stabbed twice then had two more bizarre experiences. One where I was attacking and registering damage on an invader who was right in front of me, then I got backstabbed and the entire animation played out with him in front of me finishing with me falling forward through him (and no it wasn't a Riposte). The other was a back stab that went off while the invader rolled away, I recieved no damage and he was backing away from me while I did my half of the getting back stabbed animation.

In conclusion, FROM needs to work on doing better implementation of the online play.

Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy on Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 am

Buggy Virus wrote:People standing in front of you and back stabbing you is a glitch in the game.

The idea of upload v. download speed is interesting, but shouldn't apply. Since you are hosting that means the world you are within is entirely generated by the host, so there isn't a download and upload speed for the host and the invader, just the invader. There is a time for the server to download his commands, during which it just places him where he should be, then there upload back to the invader of the info from the server to where he is. In essence the info needs to leave the invaders console get to yours and travel back to his, and all the while your console is simply rendering what it thinks is happening.

I know that occasionally invaders skip around, but I would rack that up to performance and frame rate issues, but generally my description above is what is happening. The Dark Souls system may vary a little, but from my experience that is how it generally works.

Strange back stabs or "lagstabs," are normally generated from strange glitches in the game code where your hit box doesn't more, not necessarily lag. A good example of this is watching videos of people with great connection who have a long duel with someone then suddenly get, "lagstabbed." It wasn't because their connection timed out, but because of exploitation of the game.

Whats your point? Its still something that shouldnt be inthe game and "lagstab" best describes it.

Also lag is also used to describe fps drops from glitches or performance issues as well as internet issues.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 am

lag is a general "game dun goofed" term i guess... since its a delay in action or input

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:04 pm