Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Digitalyzed
User
skarekrow13
Chaos Spectre
jsd201
ViralEnsign_
WorldSlayerPIKA
Azran
Dubscythe
DoughGuy
befowler
Emergence
Quarik
KomradDakka
Imarreteet23
WarriorOfSunlight
SlakeMoth
Serious_Much
PlasticandRage
23 posters

Recommend a Game Thread.

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Recommend a Game Thread.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Recommend a Game Thread.

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 11, 2012 1:07 am

Serious_Much wrote:Hey, hey! I didn't say the game was bad, it's a good game no doubt, but just a couple of little nit picks I had with it as I do every game silly

I really liked them all, except 12, but 8 is probably my least favorite. It's more to do with the systems than the characters for me. The draw system is sooooo complex it just made me feel like it wasn't worth the hassle after awhile. I think my favorites are probaby 6,9, and 10. Although 2 and 7 are definitely honorable mentions for me.

And I liked Darksiders also. I know a lot of people didn't think too highly of it. But I had fun playing it, so whatever. What more is there?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 am

Serious_Much wrote:I said FF8 but whatever they're from the same series silly

Also, double thread highjacking, I'm even amazing myself today, apologies plastic Recommend a Game Thread.  - Page 2 3149687655

Eh, I don't care. Good conversation is the whole point anyway. At least in my book.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Fri May 11, 2012 2:37 am

Serious_Much wrote:Hey, hey! I didn't say the game was bad, it's a good game no doubt, but just a couple of little nit picks I had with it as I do every game silly

I was hoping you would get the reference, its one of squalls infamous angsty retorts
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri May 11, 2012 2:46 am

Nier. If you judge it by its cover, it looks like yet another fantasy JRPG.
    But the story is interesting, waaaaay different than the norm. I don't want to spoil it.
    the main character is SO OUT of any JRPG protagonist stereotypes (a 40 years-old dad looking for his daughter) - same goes for your companions.
    The soundtrack is awesomesause - it became so popular that a separate, piano-only OST was released a year later.
    You like fishing? The game's got it. You like farming crops and other plants? The game's got it. You like collecting weapons and upgrading them? This game got plenty of one handers, two handers, and spears that change their appearence as you modify them.
    If you like happy stories, Nier isn't for you though.

The game isn't grindy at all, levels don't matter. The game's got an open world with an interesting and sad background. I SHED MANLY TEARS OVER SOME OF THE EVENTS IN THE GAME.

It takes off from the 5th ending of Drakengard, a mediocre game made by the same company. At the same time, Nier is the last game made by them. In a certain sense, Nier represents a studio putting their final efforts into creating a jewel. And holy cow is it a pretty one.

Piece of advice: You can't say you finished Nier, till you played twice. Even then, there are four endings. I mean it, you lose over half the plot if you only play once.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Fri May 11, 2012 3:39 am

PlasticandRage wrote:And I liked Darksiders also. I know a lot of people didn't think too highly of it. But I had fun playing it, so whatever. What more is there?

Are you excited for Darksiders 2? It's gonna be like 1 except for WAY MORE RPG STUFF.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Fri May 11, 2012 4:58 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    SlakeMoth wrote:I quite fancy playing The Witcher but why is he so ugly? He's looks like Kratos with hair. It's the one thing that puts me off getting the game because I loathe Kratos with a passion. He's just a mean ugly thug. I think women gamers get a raw deal when it comes to male games characters. There are plenty of attractive women characters but, apart from Nathan Drake and Auron from Final Fantasy X, very few good good looking male characters for women to drool over.

I think to be honest they don't expect any women above 20 to be playing these games slake, you're rather unique in that respect silly

Also Auron? Really? I mean he's a dude but attractive male character? Guess he's like the Clooney kind of attractive to you lol

Sorry don't know how to do a part of a quote (is that English?) so you've got the whole shebang.

I'm not unique Serious, this is a common misconception in gaming circles. Both my daughters play games, they're in their forties and I'm not talking Zumba Fitness here and I'm sure there are many more out there.

As for Auron, he's a dude, the kind of guy most mature women want, courageous, honourable, unselfish and handsome in the best way, i.e. he looks like a real man not some tricked out ladyboy with bad hair. He's also laconic and grumpy which makes him more like a real man than the tedious Tidus (I wanted to slap him).
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri May 11, 2012 5:07 am

SlakeMoth wrote:He's also laconic and grumpy which makes him more like a real man than the tedious Tidus (I wanted to slap him).

Slap him because of his personality, or because of his attire? silly

Another recommendation people: Disgaea! I think I've never laughed so much with a tactical rpg. The script is certainly hilarious. Available for PS3, PS2, DS and I think PSP too.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 11, 2012 5:11 am

I also found Tidus to be a pretty weak main character, though I have to admit the end totally choked me all up.
    WorldSlayerPIKA
    WorldSlayerPIKA
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WorldSlayerPIKA Fri May 11, 2012 5:23 am

I am not recommending a game I play most… But a game that I think is a big Jewel! It’s so different to any other game! If you like a new challenge try HEAVY RAIN!!!! Unfortunately its an PS3 exclusive!

I had a little problem to identify myself with the story (I don't have children), but it's really great and muuuuuuuch better than any Movie!!! Story drove me further! I was highly motivated to solve the story!

I think you normally have a strategy/ Pattern when playing a game. But Heavy Rain forces you to play how you feel and not what you think would be the best strategy.

If you have one little bit of interest, go get the DEMO of Heavy Rain! I highly recommend to see the fantastic gameplay! You will immediately see what’s about!

Heavy Rain can be played with PlayStation MOVE. I don’t have it, but I really think MOVE is perfect for this game! Adding atmosphere!
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 am

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura.

This game is great! Its the best combination of fallout meets Sword and Board RPG.

Not only that but it blends technology and gunslinging in perfectly with Sorcery and Mythical creatures.

Its set in a victiorian/steam revolution age and is full of wit, really bazaar things, and some down right disappointing endings to quests that feel as though you got the real life result rather than a fantasy one.
    jsd201
    jsd201

Post by jsd201 Fri May 11, 2012 6:28 am

Azran wrote:
    SlakeMoth wrote:He's also laconic and grumpy which makes him more like a real man than the tedious Tidus (I wanted to slap him).

Slap him because of his personality, or because of his attire? silly

Another recommendation people: Disgaea! I think I've never laughed so much with a tactical rpg. The script is certainly hilarious. Available for PS3, PS2, DS and I think PSP too.

I love the Disgaea games! I'm slightly addicted I must say - I had the original 2 games on PS2, the 3rd and 4th on PS3, the Nintendo DS remake of the original, the PSP versions of the original 2 games, and i'm currently playing Absence of Detention on the PS Vita! There's just so much content to tuck into and it keeps me distracted for literally hundreds of hours!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 am

Hahaha yes I agree, I hate tidus' voice and the fact he's rather childish, but his overall effect in the story and gradual changing made him better later on.

But I see, well yeah I don't know many women who game (I've known like one or two my age who do) so yeah that is a misconception silly

also, if you want to delete part of a quote, you do just that, delete the parts you don't want and leave the useful bit.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am

Kingdom Under Fire Series

I'm a huge fan of the series for the storyline, artwork, and gameplay. For its time, it was so different, and hard as hell.

Plus, Regnier is my favorite character ever, and not even Brolaire beats him on a badassery scale
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Fri May 11, 2012 11:35 am

SlakeMoth wrote:I quite fancy playing The Witcher but why is he so ugly? He's looks like Kratos with hair. It's the one thing that puts me off getting the game because I loathe Kratos with a passion. He's just a mean ugly thug. I think women gamers get a raw deal when it comes to male games characters. There are plenty of attractive women characters but, apart from Nathan Drake and Auron from Final Fantasy X, very few good good looking male characters for women to drool over.
    It's based on a series of book, so I'm guessing they're going by the description in the book, rather than eye candy?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 11:44 am

WorldSlayerPIKA......I played the demo of Heavy Rain with the Move controllers. If it weren't for the releases of Dark Souls and Skyrim last year that game would have been on my list. It still might be when I'm done with the other two.

Other games I recommend would be Alice: Madness Returns. The gameplay can be tedious as once you have the Tea Pot there's not a lot to winning. Although if you're into experimenting, it can be fun to use many of the weapons creatively. The story and how it's told is pretty amazing though and the visuals are great. They really took a lot of time in the environments.

If you have a Vita then Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack is pretty wild. They integrate touch mechanics pretty naturally. Escape Plan is amazing but it's almost all touch screen. Just started Sumiomi: Demon Arts and it's pretty good. The controls are not intuitive but the concept is good.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 11, 2012 11:56 am

skare, you should play heavy rain, it's a great game I really loved it, one of my favourite PS3 games out.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 pm

My biggest obstacle is time. In college I would have already beaten all three games as well as most of my PS+ games. Last night was a good example. My daughter didn't go to bed until 10:30pm (she hates sleeping for some reason) so by the time I took care of my usual stuff it was close to 11:00pm which left me with a little over an hour to do anything. I went from watching half of Inception which came via Netflix or doing a couple things in Skyrim or working on a Dark Souls Project.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 11, 2012 1:05 pm

SO take a break from Dark souls and Skyrim to focus on heavy rain.. It's not a game you should play whilst distracted with other fantasies really.

Stop playing Dark souls for a while, easy right?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:06 pm

If I need fantasy, I go to my head... its a great place to go.

Its a great game, try it out. I do it every single day and night. A lot more control than most ganes, IMO big grin
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Serious, once I have the money it's toward the top of my list. I do online surveys to subsidize games and don't have enough to get gift cards yet. I got Dark Souls, Skyrim and Alice for about $10 each last year and just got Tales From Space and Sumiomi on Vita for about $7 total.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Delete and Move post eh?

I always saw Alice games in stores, but for some reason I never felt like buying them... just talking about them. id only saw a trailer for it, and that is it.... this includes both of em.

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Lol.....I knew you or Serious would catch that. I had thread dementia for a second there.

They're huge on concept and visuals. The gameplay is passable but you'll know if you wanna play them just by looking at the artwork and media available for them.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:48 pm

That is true. To be fair, it did draw me to both Starcraft and Dark Souls, as the art of both of them was always something taht cuahgt my eyes. Most games never can get it, as their artwork and/or media was never achieved to my taste.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm

@ Quarik, oh yeah the Master Chief, I forgot about him. He's great but it takes him so long to get his gear off and he always leaves his helmet on and his socks.

Sorry Serious, I tried Heavy Rain, not my bag I'm afraid.

Madness Alice Returns- got that, played it a little, visuals are gorgeous but gameplay a little repetetive after a while.

The Witcher-definitely going to give it a whirl, it sounds awesome. Oh and Befowler, love your new avatar. That's quite a weapon you've got there!
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Fri May 11, 2012 2:26 pm

KomradDakka wrote:Freelancer (try playing the discovery 1.43 Mod - a roleplaying server)

an open galaxy Sand box game, set in the "Sirus" system. You play as 1 of the games dozens of factions including National Forces of Liberty, Britania, Riechland, and the Kassari, or as one of the many underground/ bandit groups like the Junkers or Rouges.

I remember playing on one of the discovery servers as a fast response repair vessel on a routine patrol with a fleet of Navy Vessels when we came into a Reich War Fleet on our side of Neutral teritory. There was a massive firefight with lazers and torpedoes everywhere! one stratagy included one of our own gun ships using its self as a siege ram to destroy and enemy capital ship. My job was to zip around and distribute shield batteries and repair nano bots while keeping out of enemy fire. If the server is still up, you should try it out, if not, give the base game a try.

Freelancer discovery was, and still is, amazing. I remember getting a battleship on an Aussie server before giving it a break and never getting back to it.

I'll recommend a few, sorry if they've already been said:

Toy Commander (Dreamcast) - An amazing and unique game in which you play a third person war game, controlling trucks, planes, and helicopters and fighting others in large maps made of rooms in the average house.

Timesplitters Future Perfect (PS2) - Awesome FPS, one of the best I've ever played. The campaign is fun, the mapmaker deep and detailed, and the game modes unique.

Shadow of The Colossus (PS2, now on PS3) - One of the most epic games in both gameplay and music. You WILL love this game, no matter what you're in to.

Supreme Commander (PC) - The BEST strategy (RTS) game you will ever find, as long as you have a computer that can run it. This will be pretty complicated to new players, especially if you go into the game expecting it to be like Starcraft or Red Alert.

Crysis (PC, now on PS3 but no map maker) - Incredibly detailed FPS, with physics still challenged in the gaming industry. Many mods are available, and the game is great even without them. The mapmaker is so incredibly complex that you could create a map like the ones you may find in Battlefield or COD.

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (PC) - You like Diablo? This is just like it, but there are more skills and class options, more equipment, more enemies, and better graphics. The voice acting is near perfect, the quests unique, and the game is a load of fun to play. The Immortal throne expansion makes it even greater, and the Gold edition can be bought from steam for £9.99.

Sins Of A Solar Empire, and its expansions (PC) - Second best RTS game around in my own opinion. Fun space combat, with decent graphics and massive, long lasting games. Mods can improve the game too. There's also a sequel coming out in summer.

Two Worlds II - Yes, we all know the first one sucked, but the sequel is quite amazing, yet never got the fame it deserved. The spell system allows the player to create just about ANY spell with a mix and match system being employed.

Borderlands (PS3/Xbox/PC) - Classic FPSRPG, with billions of gun combinations, scary and challenging enemies, and unique and distinct classes. This game is just everything you want a game to be, though the driving mechanic is a little annoying.

Rock Band series (PS3/Xbox) - Fun for all your mates, or family, or yourself. In the third one there's a keyboard included too, which makes for five players.

There are probably a few more games that I love in every way, but I can't think of them right now so I'll just leave it be.

Oh, and KomradDakka, which server did you play on? If it was the official one, I think it was updated, so all old things were lost unfortunately.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am