Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Digitalyzed
User
skarekrow13
Chaos Spectre
jsd201
ViralEnsign_
WorldSlayerPIKA
Azran
Dubscythe
DoughGuy
befowler
Emergence
Quarik
KomradDakka
Imarreteet23
WarriorOfSunlight
SlakeMoth
Serious_Much
PlasticandRage
23 posters

Recommend a Game Thread.

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Recommend a Game Thread.  Empty Recommend a Game Thread.

Post by PlasticandRage Thu May 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Don't just tell us the title, explain why you like it, why you'd recommend it, and don't say DkS. Obviously we all like that or we probably wouldn't be here in the first place.

I'll start. Bionic Commando for PS3, and maybe Xbox? not entirely sure about that one. Anyway not a lot people like this game. The majority of its reviews are pretty poor, though some people do seem to see it the same way I do. It's a challenge, which is something I value highly, and it rewards skill. The levels are big and fun to screw around in and you're character is designed to be really fun to screw around in them with. In fact I've spent hours before just tarzaning around with the bionic arm and chaining high velocity swings together. Part of the reason it's hard is because the check points are few and far between, so you have to be careful and think about what you do before you do it or you'll be playing whole levels over and over again. Once you get good at controlling your swings the doors really open, and you can approach any situation differently. I'm actually playing it through for my second time right now. Give it a shot if you like acrobatic action games and a challenge. It can be found so cheaply now that it'd be hard to go wrong.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Recommend a Game Thread.  Empty Re: Recommend a Game Thread.

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Legend of Dragoon for PSone and PS3 from PSN network.

All in all an unappreciated RPG that never got the recognition it greatly deserves. One of my favourite PS games, and it's cheap off of PSN to boot for being a long game.

Also Heavy Rain, not everyone's cup of tea, but the 'interactive drama' is an interesting medium and the story compels one to play it. If you're into thriller movies and suspense, this game is great for you.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 pm

I loved Heavy Rain. I wasn't sure about it for the first hour or so but it really sucks you right in. Like a good movie, the plot is really enthralling.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Thu May 10, 2012 6:46 pm

I liked 'Legend of Dragoon' a lot and in fact I still have it for PSone. I agree it was underrated but then a lot of Japanese RPG's for Playstation were because, in my opinion, they suffered from always being compared to 'Ocarina of Time', which I have always thought is vastly overrated. Yes I know that statement will raise some hackles but that's the way I feel.
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Thu May 10, 2012 6:49 pm

The Witcher 2 on PC and Xbox 360. Best game of last year. Just go and check it out if you have either of these systems.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Thu May 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Spore. It's a pretty awesome game, but the reason I like it so much is that it's unique. Basically, you create an organism, then eventually it evolves into the "animal stage." Then the tribal, then the civillization stage, and then to the space stage. Some people have gripes with it, but I loved it and played it to death a couple of years back.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Freelancer (try playing the discovery 1.43 Mod - a roleplaying server)

an open galaxy Sand box game, set in the "Sirus" system. You play as 1 of the games dozens of factions including National Forces of Liberty, Britania, Riechland, and the Kassari, or as one of the many underground/ bandit groups like the Junkers or Rouges.

I remember playing on one of the discovery servers as a fast response repair vessel on a routine patrol with a fleet of Navy Vessels when we came into a Reich War Fleet on our side of Neutral teritory. There was a massive firefight with lazers and torpedoes everywhere! one stratagy included one of our own gun ships using its self as a siege ram to destroy and enemy capital ship. My job was to zip around and distribute shield batteries and repair nano bots while keeping out of enemy fire. If the server is still up, you should try it out, if not, give the base game a try.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm

I quite fancy playing The Witcher but why is he so ugly? He's looks like Kratos with hair. It's the one thing that puts me off getting the game because I loathe Kratos with a passion. He's just a mean ugly thug. I think women gamers get a raw deal when it comes to male games characters. There are plenty of attractive women characters but, apart from Nathan Drake and Auron from Final Fantasy X, very few good good looking male characters for women to drool over.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu May 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Imarreteet23 wrote:Spore. It's a pretty awesome game, but the reason I like it so much is that it's unique. Basically, you create an organism, then eventually it evolves into the "animal stage." Then the tribal, then the civillization stage, and then to the space stage. Some people have gripes with it, but I loved it and played it to death a couple of years back.

This, Spore was fantastic. It didn't live up to the hype, could've been much better, and flopped commercially, but I really enjoyed playing it.

I highly recommend Bastion. It has pretty good combat, a great customizable difficulty, the best damn narration you will ever hear, a good story, interesting levels, has great music, and the weapons are very well balanced (except for the repeater, that's a bit ridiculous).

Ocarina of Time, for those few that haven't played it, is my favorite game. Great combat, a cool villain, great level design, good puzzles, really good difficult level, and most importantly my favorite music of anything. Jesse Cox made the point on TGS Podcast 3 before Clint interrupted him that "The best part of video games, the part that sticks with you the most, isn't the story or the gameplay, but the music... *insert guy riding a horse on a stick*".

Slake- No love for Master Chief? He's such a shiny piece of metal though!

Last edited by Quarik on Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 7:30 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:I quite fancy playing The Witcher but why is he so ugly? He's looks like Kratos with hair. It's the one thing that puts me off getting the game because I loathe Kratos with a passion. He's just a mean ugly thug. I think women gamers get a raw deal when it comes to male games characters. There are plenty of attractive women characters but, apart from Nathan Drake and Auron from Final Fantasy X, very few good good looking male characters for women to drool over.

I think to be honest they don't expect any women above 20 to be playing these games slake, you're rather unique in that respect silly

Also Auron? Really? I mean he's a dude but attractive male character? Guess he's like the Clooney kind of attractive to you lol
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu May 10, 2012 7:38 pm

This era, Infamous and Red Dead. Open world sandboxes I can just get lost in, with interesting things to see and do, especially in Red Dead's case. I love games like Red Dead specifically for giving the player just so much content to discover and in such variety.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu May 10, 2012 7:40 pm

WarriorOfSunlight wrote:The Witcher 2 on PC and Xbox 360. Best game of last year. Just go and check it out if you have either of these systems.

This. Just got it on XBox 360 and it is glorious. Never played the first one(s?) but it eases you in pretty well, and eventually you get a quest where you play drinking games and then wake up in a marsh with all your stuff missing. It's like they motion captured my weekends.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Thu May 10, 2012 7:43 pm

RDR and Infamous... Both excellent games. My favorite memory of RDR was casually walking into a bar, walking to the balcony, and chucking those firebombs at all the innocent civillians; then having a mexican stand-off with the sheriff; then riding away on my horse while shooting over my shoulder at the people madly chasing after me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 8:02 pm

This era huh? Well already said heavy rain, but Red dead was awesome, I only borrowed it off a friend but it was a fun as hell game. GTA style wild west was pretty good i must say big grin
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 pm

@Slake ANOTHER LotD FAN! Im am so happy right now. I also recommend LotD. if you want an amazing game with great combat, characters with real depth and the best story you will ever see you need to lay it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 9:08 pm

DoughGuy wrote:@Slake ANOTHER LotD FAN! Im am so happy right now. I also recommend LotD. if you want an amazing game with great combat, characters with real depth and the best story you will ever see you need to lay it.

You must be much of a fan... you keep getting the title wrong time and time again seeing as you love it so much...

The Legend of Dragoon. That's the title ok? silly
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 10, 2012 9:20 pm

I could never figure out where the "the" was meant to be when I was younger so I just called it LotD. Just stuck with me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 9:27 pm

DoughGuy wrote:I could never figure out where the "the" was meant to be when I was younger so I just called it LotD. Just stuck with me.

I called it legendofdragoon really fast lol, me and my brother loved it, though he was more into Final fantasy VIII...

Legend of dragoon is like the FFX-2 or Dark Souls of my PS1 days in terms of playtime.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Yeah. I was honestly worried one time when someone borrowed it from blockbuster the one week I wasnt allowed to have it. Because Id beeen renting it as soon as I returned it I thought it was gone that time. Luckily they mustnt have liked it lol. I never played FFVII until a few years after LoD and I didnt like it cause I felt it was LoD but not as good.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 pm

I said FF8 but whatever they're from the same series silly

Also, double thread highjacking, I'm even amazing myself today, apologies plastic Bow
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Ooops. Well that's embarrassing cause I actually liked FF8.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't like 8 that much because of Squall, he's just a moody teen for a character, only guy I liked was Irvine and his character was too high maintenance. Also it had enemies get easier or harder depending on your level.. which was exploitable as hell.

To me, if you're gonna do that, you should set a minimum level where it cannot get easier so only if they over level does the system come into effect.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Thu May 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I don't like 8 that much because of Squall, he's just a moody teen for a character, only guy I liked was Irvine and his character was too high maintenance. Also it had enemies get easier or harder depending on your level.. which was exploitable as hell.

To me, if you're gonna do that, you should set a minimum level where it cannot get easier so only if they over level does the system come into effect.

...Whatever.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Hey, hey! I didn't say the game was bad, it's a good game no doubt, but just a couple of little nit picks I had with it as I do every game silly
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 am

Darksiders:
    -It's Hack N Slash meets Legend of Zelda
    -Fun and challenging puzzles
    -Wonderful art style
    -Story is pretty good
    -The different weapons and gadgets are fun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm