peeving me

Needles_Kane

peeving me

Post by Needles_Kane on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Sorry to post over something so trivial, but why is the waterwheel in the depths there? Other than the obvious transport for the shortcut? I know not everything needs explained, but it's just so out of place and annoys the piss out of me. Is it to transport water? To who? Anyway there's no buckets. Does it use water for power? The water is very stagnant. Who built it? The stone throwing monsters? It serves no purpose other than transporting the hero, which could be replaced by another ladder. Maybe I'm just spoiled cause the rest of the game is really put together well. But after I fell off a couple of times i started to question what function it had other that being a ladder you could mistime and die. Any ideas that would sustain the legitimacy of it being there? Like why build it, who built it? And yes, I know I am a tool for thinking about it too hard so save yourself that post.
    Specter737
    Addicted
    Addicted

Re: peeving me

Post by Specter737 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:29 am

I always assumed that blight town was sort of the "last stop" on the burgs sewer system. Though after lack of use, or whatever, the water levels have dropped to a point where it's inhabitable to some degree. That would explain the water wheel, the large pillars, the depths in general, and the green tinged areas that look like a proper sewer.

No harm in digging deeper into the lore, it can only make the game more enjoyable in my opinion!

BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 am

The real question is: why is it powered by a fire-breathing dog? silly

Other than that... The tiki torches at the bottom of the wood-plank path to the wheel would lead me to believe it's been put in place by and for some sort of workers. Maybe people who work on the foundations of Lordran's Burg; maintain the sewers, etc. Doesn't explain why it would only span about half the height from the bottom of the swamp to the exit at the top... But I'm just happy it's there when the alternative is more platforms like on the way down from The Depths!

(Tip for not falling down when getting on and off the wheel, in case you could use it: roll.)

Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 am

It makes sense for it to be the dump for the burg's sewers. In my first PT I was wondering how it worked too, seeing it was moving on its own and powered by thin air or magic.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 am

maybe some hollow work man maintains the thing? just cause its what he does?

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Specter737 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 am

OR maybe the leech men(or whatever they are) keep it all running because they were/are slaves of some sort.
    And maybe the big guys with the clubs and rocks are there to keep them working and in check.

JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 am

Tool. winking

It would appear that water used to pour out from where you find the Firekeeper's Soul. Who knows what it powered, but it at one time at least appeared to be functional without the Fire-breathing Dog ****.

Post by Zechk on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:08 am

It's powered by a fire breathing dog!!? O_O

How have I not noticed this? I know what I'm going to look for tonight.

Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:19 am

I once fell off the branch, that leads across to the crimson set, directly above the wheel with the dog inside. Ended up on top of the wheel, running like a trapped hamster, while I tried to locate a homeward bone from my inventory. It all ended in tears :|
    Zechk

Post by Zechk on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:30 am

I was once demoing the game to a friend of mine who was staying at my flat. I attempted to get on the water wheel, and rolled right over the edge of the little platform to my death. How be both laughed. So I went 'whoops! sorry ha ha, brain fail moment' and trundled back to the wheel again whilst we chatted away. Eventually I get back, line myself up, mistakenly smack jump attack and go flying...right onto the platform! "Ha ha ha, Thank god for that!" I said. We laughed at my foolishness. Then I knocked the dodge button again and backstepped off the platform...

Casual
    Casual

Post by Pharaun on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:26 am

Needles_Kane wrote:But after I fell off a couple of times i started to question what function it had other that being a ladder you could mistime and die.

I think that's the reason it's there silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 am