Good old gaming days

JRoma

Good old gaming days

Post by JRoma on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Before going on, I'd like to say that english is not my 1st language, but I'll do my best to keep it up in a good shape.

Also, that I am aware of interests of producers, market, how mainstream gaming has evolved to become an experience. But I'd like to express a personal view about gaming and discuss with you guys about it.

I am impressed about the feeling Dark Souls brings within its play. It's really close to gaming around late 80's - early 90's. I like to use Castlevania 2, for Nintendo 8bits as an example.

Castlevania 2 was a hard as hell game. Punishing. At certain point of the game you needed to crouch in a certain place and wait for a certain time to summon a tornado that would take you to another stage. You could only find that out by talking to friends or reading magazines (90's foruns/wiki =P).

In Dark Souls, without a Wiki, it's really hard to discover Snuggy, and how can you trade itens with him. Without a wiki you'll hardly know that humanity helps you to find more itens or that there's no magical weapon around the game - only if you make them magical.

And I think thats awesome. DS is much more than a single game, it an anthropological social experience that demands you to join a comunity, demands you to help each other, to deceive each other, to have fun like old gaming days, where we could say to our friend: "There a 1up down there... just jump and check it out" and it could be true or not. Only the player could decide.

Hope that Dark Series keep on for a real while. I miss games like that. IMHO, Skyrim, just like Fallout 3, is a good experience... but seems like it's a huge hardcore version of Fable 2 - like a toy to play with. JRPGs lacks of action - lacks to provide the thrill of the kill.

That's it. Don't go Hollow.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Good old gaming days

Post by BARZOHD- on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Well said bruv

Regular
    Regular

Post by RaSoul on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

I havent been this cautious in a game since F.E.A.R. This game is/was epic like Vanilla Wow (Ashenvale was a cruel cruel place) and of course Pokemon Blue.

I would like to take a look at Demons Souls, but im on xbox and ps3 is just not happening.

SL 28 Magic - NG
    Deadmeat95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Deadmeat95 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:26 pm

God I remember going painfully slow thru demons souls cause I was aware of how hard it was, though most of the difficulty was in the stage, the boss's all had some super easy/cheap way to beat them. When I first started playing this game I was a tad bit overconfident bc of my perious demon souls experience and ended up dieing a lot. Didn't help either I completely missed the path to the burg and was trying to go to the catacombs first and getting my *** handed to me by the skellys, until a friend told me I shouldn't be going there first >.>.

Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 pm

yeah, the souls series is amazing. havent had this much fun since jade coccoon, im sure most people dont even know that game.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Deadmeat95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Deadmeat95 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I love this one way more then demons, something like 400hrs into this one and I don't even know i f I did half that in demons. The name sounds familar rant but I can't picture it.

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazefury on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Started really confident with Dark Souls aswell, but it took a while for me to settle in. Died a lot, then got better gear and things got easier. I feel the game is heavily gear-reliant, way more than Demon's Souls. Both are memorable experiences though. Gaming masterpieces.

SL 123 Warrior - STR/Faith Hybrid, +15 Man-Serpent Greatsword/Sunlight Blade
    Deadmeat95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Deadmeat95 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

O&S owned my *** numerous times first time I ever got to them.

Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Deadmeat95 wrote:I love this one way more then demons, something like 400hrs into this one and I don't even know i f I did half that in demons. The name sounds familar rant but I can't picture it.

its a ps1 game, it was kinda like pokemon but in an acient village where you could capture animals n raise them up, you could also fuse them together to make a better one, it was *** awesome. the pokemon games suck compared to that one, even now after all these years. it was *** hard too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfqbDSfw9_Y

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Deadmeat95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Deadmeat95 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Hmm no doesn't look familar.

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Deadmeat95 wrote:Hmm no doesn't look familar.

off-topic: i'll give you +1 just for the tyrael avatar! big grin
    Deadmeat95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Deadmeat95 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Why ty, its my comps wallpaper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:34 am