Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Rynn
ChizFreak
Yukon
Kaminari
PlasticandRage
9 posters

Opinions of the Leo Ring?

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Opinions of the Leo Ring? Empty Opinions of the Leo Ring?

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm

So I've made a build that's primarily a spear user and I'm wondering what experiences people have had with the Leo Ring? I've been using it for the last hour or so and I'm not sure that I'm seeing a difference or not. I refuse to backstab however, unless my opponent is like blatantly exposing their back to me, and I'm not wonderful at parrying. Considering those two things you guys think it's worth a ring slot?
    Kaminari
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Opinions of the Leo Ring? Empty Re: Opinions of the Leo Ring?

Post by Kaminari Fri May 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Train your skills in parrying, then use it and the hornet ring and Parry, huge damage boost big grin

Thats my opinion..
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm

The leo ring gives a bonus to counters doesn't it? that doesn't mean parries and backstabs I though, Its when you hit an enemy while they are rolling or in some other animation.

You might notice it more using a bow, when an enemy goes to attack and you hit him mid swing he takes more damage, I always thought the leo ring buffed that, not backstabs and parries.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Kaminari wrote:Train your skills in parrying, then use it and the hornet ring and Parry, huge damage boost big grin

Thats my opinion..

Leo Ring doesn't boost critical hits. Leo Ring boost physical damage of direct hits of thrust attacks/weapons. A direct hit occurs when you hit an opponent at the same time they hit you, just before they hit you (while they are in attack animation) or after they hit you or missed the hit. Basically while they are in attack animation.

For example it's boost a Spear's physical damage.
    Kaminari
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kaminari Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 pm

strange...my Parry of a thrust weapon increased in damage when I changed to the Leo ring..
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Yukon wrote:The leo ring gives a bonus to counters doesn't it? that doesn't mean parries and backstabs I though, Its when you hit an enemy while they are rolling or in some other animation.

You might notice it more using a bow, when an enemy goes to attack and you hit him mid swing he takes more damage, I always thought the leo ring buffed that, not backstabs and parries.

I think that bows' arrows do Normal damage, not thrust, so Leo ring does not boost that. Remember that doing an direct hit ALWAYS makes more damage, even without the Leo Ring, Leo Ring just boosts it further.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm

I was using that as an example of a critical hit, I never used a spear for very long so I never bothered with leo ring. But thanks for clearing it up Chiz.

You could probably get some nice ones turtling with it though, you just poke poke while hiding behind a shield whenever they swing at you. Its just not a common ring to use since its so specific.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 pm

So basically if I can learn to time attacks during my opponents attacks then it would be worth it? It's a pretty noticeable damage boost?

Oh and I'm also using it in tandem with Havel's Shield, so parries are out of the question for this build anyway.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Its noticable without the ring, its about 50-100 damage more usually, if I am recalling correctly. I have never used that ring so I couldn't say for sure, but I assume it would boost it to 150- 250 extra damage. I just assume it would be similar to the buff the hornet ring gives.

Someone with more knowledge can probably give you better numbers.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Leo Ring boosts +40% the phys damage of your weapon when you meet the circumstances I said above. ONLY PHYS DAMAGE. So it's better used with for example, a Silver Knight Spear, which is very long, fast, and does 400+ pure phys damage.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri May 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Do Ricards Rapier, parry then mash R2 instead.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Rynn wrote:Do Ricards Rapier, parry then mash R2 instead.

Yep, I believe that if you parry them, don't riposte, and attack them it's a direct hit. Though I believe a riposte would be more damaging?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm currently using the Demon's Spear. I think with my 50 STR I'm doing somewhere between 250 and 300 pure physical damage
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 4:01 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:I'm currently using the Demon's Spear. I think with my 50 STR I'm doing somewhere between 250 and 300 pure physical damage

To be honest, that it's a very bad weapon to use with Leo Ring (and in my opinion bad overall); if you have 50 STR, try raising up Dex a bit and use Silver Knight Spear. Otherwise, look for a thrusting weapon you like and upgrade it to +15.

Even a Lighting Winged Spear +4 would do more damage than that I believe.

Look for a pure phys damage weapon. That's my advice.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 4:04 pm

The idea was to try to find something that I could turtle behind the Havel's with and still make use of my high STR stat. I'm actually in the process of raising a partisan to +15 standard and a pike to +5 lightning to see which I like better.

I can't really afford the extra DEX points. I think I'd need 20ish right? well maybe I could
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh, what about the Dragon Slayer Spear? That's not too much more DEX than the SKS, you think I'd be better off with that? I've actually been thinking about trying it out
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:The idea was to try to find something that I could turtle behind the Havel's with and still make use of my high STR stat. I'm actually in the process of raising a partisan to +15 standard and a pike to +5 lightning to see which I like better.

I can't really afford the extra DEX points. I think I'd need 20ish right? well maybe I could

You need 22 to use both Silver Knight Spear and Sword.

And I'm telling you this: don't upgrade any spear to lighting, it does very low damage. A pure phys damaging weapon goes only through 1 defense, instead of 2. Also, the more phys damage, the easier is to break someone's guard.

Also, if you're going to fight in Kiln, a good place to turtle is to put your back against the White Fog from the beginning of the area. Just put yourself against it, and in a corner, and you can't BSed, but remember to be careful about don't get bleed out.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Oh, what about the Dragon Slayer Spear? That's not too much more DEX than the SKS, you think I'd be better off with that? I've actually been thinking about trying it out

DSS does 2 different damages, phys and lighting, same problem with any other lighting spear. Also, it does EXTREMELY low phys damage. It's main source is it's lighting damage, which scales with Faith. It's better to just invest some in Dex and use the SKS haha.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Isn't the SKS scaled lightning also? No I guess not. I don't know why I thought it was.

According to the wiki the DSS, fully upgraded, does 142 base physical and 97 base lightning, with both DEX and FTH at B scaling, and a C STR scale, while the SKS has higher base damage, at 244, with only an E STR scale. I'm going to try to them both. But I think you're right. Both do seem better stat-wise than the Demon's Spear.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 4:38 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Isn't the SKS scaled lightning also? No I guess not. I don't know why I thought it was.

According to the wiki the DSS, fully upgraded, does 142 base physical and 97 base lightning, with both DEX and FTH at B scaling, and a C STR scale, while the SKS has higher base damage, at 244, with only an E STR scale. I'm going to try to them both. But I think you're right. Both do seem better stat-wise than the Demon's Spear.

Silver Knight Spear +5 at 50 STR and 22 Dex does 317 pure phys damage, just checked. DSS with 50 STR, 24 Dex AND 40 FAITH, does 465 damage, which is halved in 286 physical and 179 lighting.

SK Spear requires A LOT less investment and gives you more bonus using the Leo Ring than the DSS. And remember you would be able to use the SK Sword too. Which does more damage than the SK Spear, and it's buffable.

Remember the SK Spear has Divine Aux of 110.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Fri May 04, 2012 4:59 pm

The leo ring definately helps parries since they count as counter-hits. Thats why parries do much more damage than backstabs - they get bonus damage from the counter hit.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 04, 2012 5:22 pm

ChizFreak wrote:

Remember the SK Spear has Divine Aux of 110.

That's why I was thinking it had natural lightning attacks. I knew it had something.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 pm

in rynns case of mashing r2 after a parry... it does more damage than the riposte especially if buffed and you get off the full r2 combo. think of the leo ring as the parry alternative for great shield users. they whack your shield and you poke for extra damage.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:The leo ring definately helps parries since they count as counter-hits. Thats why parries do much more damage than backstabs - they get bonus damage from the counter hit.

No it doesn't, ripostes are considered a critical hit, that's why Hornet's Ring boosts it.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri May 04, 2012 6:47 pm

another note: just because a weapon says it does thrust damage doesn't mean the leo ring will boost it, for example the pickaxe, waraxe, and lucerne. not sure about the regular halberds r1 move.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm