Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Akatik
ChizFreak
Rynn
Yesuurd
RANT
Imarreteet23
Yukon
Spurgun
djgq42
13 posters

a world without the dwgr

djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

a world without the dwgr Empty a world without the dwgr

Post by djgq42 Fri May 04, 2012 3:02 pm

watching dks videos on youtube and can't help but wonder the pvp world would look like without the dwgr. would havel's and giant's be half as common? what about ultra greatswords? don't mind my musings, but would like to know what you think. what would the game look and be like?
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

a world without the dwgr Empty Re: a world without the dwgr

Post by Spurgun Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 pm

there would definitely be a lot more variation on the builds you meet
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Personally I doubt it, there would be some other niche that 90% of players filled, if it wasn't havel flippers, it would be hornet fishers, or something else, I can't say what but there would certainly be a replacement.

The reason you see a build lots is because it -works- so it makes sense for the vast majority of the community to use the best build they could. If you are curious what duels are like without DWGR you should try the fight clubs, it seems a lot of the people who participate are swearing off the DWGR, so you have a higher percentage of fighting regular rollers, and there is a good variety of styles
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Fri May 04, 2012 3:18 pm

I've actually thought about this, and realised that the DWGR really isn't the problem. The real problems are the items that increase equipt burden, like Havel's ring, RoFaP, and mask of the father. The reason being that most people use one of those things in combination with the DWGR. If those things weren't in the game, tanks would have to make sacrifices to be able to get under 50%.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri May 04, 2012 3:19 pm

i agree with yukon, do you wanna face flipping tanks or getting ohko'd with the hornet ring. the majority of flipping tanks are actually really bad at pvp, all they do is spam r1 which makes them so easy to take parry but the 2 sunbros right next to you trying to bs you make it more fun though.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 pm

You have not experienced being a bad a... until you go fast roll and light armor with small weapons.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

^^ 0 poise, Dagger +13, Targets Shield. twisted
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri May 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Different is the best word I can think of for it. Strength weapons would be very uncommon to start with.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm

i make no judgements about the dwgr, i use it as well. when i watch the pvp videos i am reminded of scene in the newer star wars movies where yoda is in the lighsaber duel with saruman.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri May 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Every one would use medium armor, high endurance, havels ring, and hornets ring. Instead of lots of tanks we would get lots of BS fishers.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Fri May 04, 2012 3:57 pm

It is all good, we have variety, we can try different styles on different toons.
    One day DWGR the other fast roll and whatever, we can't judge everything
    we judge people who wear giants, people who use DWGR etc...on an effort to
    appear to be the most original or most hardcore, but at the end this game is
    so huge that anything can happen no matter the gear or circumstances.

I feel good winning with low armor and fast roll because it's of course harder
    in most situations, you get staggered by a bird passing by, I also enjoy using
    DWGR and better armor sometimes....
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Rynn wrote:Different is the best word I can think of for it. Strength weapons would be very uncommon to start with.

str weapons are already rare to see(bkga doesnt count since it's the noobtube of dks and everyone either use that or claymore) str got screwed in dks, dex has more advantages and str weapons need to have higher stat requirements so you dont see sl 10's with a freaking lightning zwei but it doesnt matter since they would just find something else to grief with.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Rynn wrote:Different is the best word I can think of for it. Strength weapons would be very uncommon to start with.

str weapons are already rare to see(bkga doesnt count since it's the noobtube of dks and everyone either use that or claymore) str got screwed in dks, dex has more advantages and str weapons need to have higher stat requirements so you dont see sl 10's with a freaking lightning zwei but it doesnt matter since they would just find something else to grief with.
    So the STR weapons we do see would be that much more left-wing when they occur. Most people already aren't aware of how to fight me.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Fri May 04, 2012 4:22 pm

To this day, I haven't used the ring once.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri May 04, 2012 6:40 pm

i think no dwgr would improve pvp gameplay but i also agree with the people saying that some other common annoyance would replace it. i personally just dont like how it looks i hate having each match be everyone flipping around like its a circus.

you have to remember hornets and backstab fishing is already pretty common along with dwgr though. no dwgr would make it a lot harder for people who rely on poise because they would be much slower or have much less defense. yea they could just wear light&medium armor but you know they would get owned for a while till they were used to it. I didnt used to care as much but my new hate is the fact a majority of people in pvp have stacked casts of wog. i think wog should either take up 2 slots or be limited to 3 casts. i would prefer the 3 casts but taking 2 slots would be fine.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri May 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Now imagine if the following happened in PvP
    >Lighter Weapons Bounced off Greatshields.
    >Heavy Weapons "smashed" through a block when you didn't have enough stamina to block it, rather then just knocking your shield away. (like when Havel hits you and you fail to block the entire blow).
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri May 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Imarreteet23 wrote:I've actually thought about this, and realised that the DWGR really isn't the problem. The real problems are the items that increase equipt burden, like Havel's ring, RoFaP, and mask of the father. The reason being that most people use one of those things in combination with the DWGR. If those things weren't in the game, tanks would have to make sacrifices to be able to get under 50%.

Dwgr increases equipment limit for the fast roll by 25%. All 3 of the others combined is 22% dwgr is the thing, not the other gear. though it is only op in tandem, i agree.
    Sebastrd
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sebastrd Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 pm

It wouldn't change anything. In any competition, in any game, there is always a "best" strategy and most folks will use it. Even if all equipment in the game had identical stats and movesets, there would be a best-looking setup and most folks would use that. It's human nature.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Play a good mmo, then come back and say that again. Its straight not true in a well balanced game.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I only ever use the ring with builds made to be fast. My ninja setup went very well with it, along with my painted guardian, hollow thief, normal thief, and priscilla dragon. I only ever use it with fast builds where I sacrifice poise for speed, and its effective there.

Today, I play a Regnier build with a maxed DGM, Wolf Ring, Havel's Ring, Great Lord Armor and Anklets, Dark Gauntlets, Maxed Fire Caestus, and Tattered Hood.
    I do a fat roll with this build, but at least 60% of the time, I win a fight. I'm not great in PVP, but this build has carried me farther with it due to timing changes. I also see no reason to roll, cause that cuts time off where I can stunlock my foe. So far, this build is awesome to use, and I see no reason to use the DWGR because it wouldn't help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am