First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Share
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 pm

    So...just killed the Taurus Demon...got to the bridge, survived the unexpected fire coming from behind me as I ran toward the Hollows...a lucky roll to the right found me at a staircase...killed the one hollow down the stairs...now I'm wondering how on earth I'll kill the Drake.

    Point of interest: I accidentally hit the merchant near the Bonfire so I was forced to put him out of his misery. I did get a cool katana out of it though. However, I am out of arrows, which I assume are a big part of killing this Drake.

    So...any advice? I'm sitting at level 19...got some decent weapons but nothing special. My katana put the Taurus Demon down pretty quick though.



    I'm afraid I'm gonna have to find another merchant (not even sure how to get back to the Firelink Shrine)....or start fresh and not kill the merchant. Funny thing is, I had been to him a bunch of times...just hit the wrong button at the wrong time and he pulled out his sword...he was just askin for it.



    Any help would be appreciated.
    avatar
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1942
    Reputation : 102
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Glutebrah on Thu May 03, 2012 7:29 pm

    you are going to want to shoot his tail bout tree fiddy times from under the bridge to get the Drake sword. good starting weapon.



    you don't really have to worry about killing the drake though (don't try with arrows because he will rejuv health when he gets low if you are only using arrows)


    _________________
    Chaos Blade is Best Blade

    **NEW**PSN: Glute_brah **NEW**
    SL 55 (Ele) http://mmdks.com/2b2g (Avelyn + WP)
    SL100 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/25vk (Chaos Blade)
    SL100 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2b2h (MSGS)
    SL100 (Pyro) http://mmdks.com/2b2l (FIRE)
    SL120 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2n6r (DGA)
    SL120 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/2n6v (murk) i did it, i sold out
    SL150 (Int) http://mmdks.com/25vm (Velkas + TCC)
    SL149 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2q (Black Knight)
    SL200 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2j (Ornstein)
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Forum Pirate on Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm

    For the second time today; Stop cheating and flounder through confused your first time. There is a real sense of accomplishment in beating this game alone and guides ruin it. Beat it once having done everything wrong first, then come back and ask whatever you want.


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 7:37 pm

    Forum Pirate wrote:For the second time today; Stop cheating and flounder through confused your first time. There is a real sense of accomplishment in beating this game alone and guides ruin it. Beat it once having done everything wrong first, then come back and ask whatever you want.



    Well aren't you a delightful fellow...
    avatar
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1279
    Reputation : 37
    Join date : 2012-04-11
    Location : Firelink

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Buggy Virus on Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm

    How many arrows do you have? I normally kill the Darke using melee.


    _________________
    *Busy Drawing*
    Xbl: A Buggy Virus
    Whelp, now I have positive rep.
    Reputation : 30
    Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 7:41 pm

    Forum Pirate wrote:For the second time today; Stop cheating and flounder through confused your first time. There is a real sense of accomplishment in beating this game alone and guides ruin it. Beat it once having done everything wrong first, then come back and ask whatever you want.



    You pretty much missed my point, anyway. I was asking if I needed to start from scratch due to accidentally killing the merchant. If I can't kill the stupid Drake without arrows (or advance further as a result) then why keep bashing my head against a wall that won't break down?



    Get my point? Plenty of games have failure conditions like that, and it would only make sense that Dark Souls would be one of them.


    _________________
     But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield, and we who found it...we are just men. Not gods, not giants...just men...and the secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle.
    Point Forward 
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 7:41 pm

    Buggy Virus wrote:How many arrows do you have? I normally kill the Darke using melee.



    Zero, which is why I mentioned killing the merchant.
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Forum Pirate on Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 pm

    Just trying to help you enjoy the experience you can only get that first playthrough. I may not sound nice but I'm trying to do you a favor.


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1942
    Reputation : 102
    Join date : 2012-01-18

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Glutebrah on Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

    gcates wrote:
    Buggy Virus wrote:How many arrows do you have? I normally kill the Darke using melee.



    Zero, which is why I mentioned killing the merchant.



    you can no longer kill the drake with arrows since the latest patch.. how ever you need arrows to get the Drake sword from his tail the easy way. the Uchi is a solid weapon if you keep upgrading it though so i wouldn't sweat it.


    _________________
    Chaos Blade is Best Blade

    **NEW**PSN: Glute_brah **NEW**
    SL 55 (Ele) http://mmdks.com/2b2g (Avelyn + WP)
    SL100 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/25vk (Chaos Blade)
    SL100 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2b2h (MSGS)
    SL100 (Pyro) http://mmdks.com/2b2l (FIRE)
    SL120 (Str) http://mmdks.com/2n6r (DGA)
    SL120 (Dex) http://mmdks.com/2n6v (murk) i did it, i sold out
    SL150 (Int) http://mmdks.com/25vm (Velkas + TCC)
    SL149 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2q (Black Knight)
    SL200 (Cos) http://mmdks.com/2b2j (Ornstein)
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm

    Glutebrah wrote:
    gcates wrote:
    Buggy Virus wrote:How many arrows do you have? I normally kill the Darke using melee.



    Zero, which is why I mentioned killing the merchant.



    you can no longer kill the drake with arrows since the latest patch.. how ever you need arrows to get the Drake sword from his tail the easy way. the Uchi is a solid weapon if you keep upgrading it though so i wouldn't sweat it.



    I don't have any patches. I just got the game and I'm in Afghanistan...so I'm playing completely offline. No XBOX live here.

    Also, the main reason I ask anything (I generally go through games solo, sans advice) is that I get maybe an hour a day...and I can already tell this is a 50+ hour game...so I'm trying to avoid wasting time on futile endeavors. The Drake doesn't seem like something I can kill with a sword given the fact that the two giant Knights I've encountered thus far kill me with 1, maybe 2 hits and take little damage from my melee. Also...the one burst of fire that hit me took 75% of my health...so prolonged combat with it seems foolish. I guess I'll just see what happens.
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Forum Pirate on Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 pm

    Also, there is no way to make the game unbeatable. A few to make it a total bastard (killing black smiths) but none that make it impossible.


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1279
    Reputation : 37
    Join date : 2012-04-11
    Location : Firelink

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Buggy Virus on Thu May 03, 2012 8:01 pm

    If you have no arrows don't bother witht eh drake at this point in the game. Run halfway across the bridge to the basement and just ignore the drake.


    _________________
    *Busy Drawing*
    Xbl: A Buggy Virus
    Whelp, now I have positive rep.
    Reputation : 30
    Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    avatar
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 281
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-03-07

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Sebastrd on Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 pm

    To be honest, you aren't that far into the game, so restarting isn't a huge deal. Still, there are multiple merchants that sell arrows. You can kill the Dragon with arrows, but not until much later in the game. In fact, you probably won't kill him even with melee until much later in the game.

    Also, play the game however you want. I hate game nazis that think their way is "THE ONE TRUE WAY" to play the game. Do whatever is fun for you.


    _________________
    GT: Sebastrd
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 pm

    Buggy Virus wrote:If you have no arrows don't bother witht eh drake at this point in the game. Run halfway across the bridge to the basement and just ignore the drake.

    Sebastrd wrote:To be honest, you aren't that far into the game, so restarting isn't a huge deal. Still, there are multiple merchants that sell arrows. You can kill the Dragon with arrows, but not until much later in the game. In fact, you probably won't kill him even with melee until much later in the game.

    Also, play the game however you want. I hate game nazis that think their way is "THE ONE TRUE WAY" to play the game. Do whatever is fun for you.



    That's pretty much what I was looking for. I like the way the game just kinda throws a world in front of you and says "there you go!". At the same time, it's hard to tell when you're completely out of your depth or the water is just a little bit over your head.



    I understand that alot of what makes Dark Souls great is the unknown, the "do it yourself" nature of the whole experience...but I am not fortunate enough to have hours on end to devote to the game...and an hour in Dark Souls is like 5 minutes in any other game...bordering on insignificant.
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm

    Sebastrd wrote:To be honest, you aren't that far into the game, so restarting isn't a huge deal. Still, there are multiple merchants that sell arrows. You can kill the Dragon with arrows, but not until much later in the game. In fact, you probably won't kill him even with melee until much later in the game.

    Also, play the game however you want. I hate game nazis that think their way is "THE ONE TRUE WAY" to play the game. Do whatever is fun for you.
    And I know I'm not that far...but where I am represents a week of playtime for me given my limited amount of gaming time available...that's what keeps me from starting over.

    I wasted like 3 hours repeatedly fighting the skeletons in the graveyard until I realized only the big one was giving me souls...then I accidentally found the path to the Burg...and once I found the bonfire I spent some time grinding there to level up and buy weapons.

    It's been a slow process so far...but I've got a good handle on the combat (at least against the normal enemies). Still trying to figure out alot of the minor aspects of the game like weapon upgrading and such. This one might last me until I finally go home...then I can really get into it.
    avatar
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1279
    Reputation : 37
    Join date : 2012-04-11
    Location : Firelink

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Buggy Virus on Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 pm

    It's not a big deal if you killed the first merchant. I just suggest moving forward. The drake isn't really worthwhile to kill anyways.


    _________________
    *Busy Drawing*
    Xbl: A Buggy Virus
    Whelp, now I have positive rep.
    Reputation : 30
    Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    avatar
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4072
    Reputation : 124
    Join date : 2012-04-19
    Age : 32
    Location : Iowa, USA

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Federally on Thu May 03, 2012 10:50 pm

    I killed the first merchant for the Uchigatana and I'm really deep into the play thrpugh now and don't regret it. It's a great weapon for a Dex build and is awesome upgraded. The only thing you loose not having the merchant is an early source for arrows and your only source of Lloyds talismans.

    The Drake should be avoided at all costs until your higher level. Later you'll kill him by popping out the stairs, shooting him in the face with an arrow to get him down off his perch then wacking him with the sword and running away and hiding till he goes back. Then repeating. You could accomplish this now but it would take a long time.

    What you need to do is go down those stairs on the bridge find the door with the ladder shortcut to the bonfire then go through the other door and explore under the bridge. There is more down there then you think.


    _________________
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Forum Pirate on Thu May 03, 2012 11:04 pm

    Sebastrd wrote:To be honest, you aren't that far into the game, so restarting isn't a huge deal. Still, there are multiple merchants that sell arrows. You can kill the Dragon with arrows, but not until much later in the game. In fact, you probably won't kill him even with melee until much later in the game.

    Also, play the game however you want. I hate game nazis that think their way is "THE ONE TRUE WAY" to play the game. Do whatever is fun for you.
    Thats not what i said. The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success.


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 965
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-04-25

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Azran on Thu May 03, 2012 11:27 pm

    The last miniboss I killed was the Drake. Bastard had it coming. It's totally optional.

    You are playing with an unpatched game? Then I'm not sure if the Blacksmith you are about to come across sells arrows. :/

    The Uchigatana is a really nice and effective weapon. I finished the game with a Lightning Uchigatana upgraded to the max, and it's still doing wonders in NG+



    _________________
    PSN: Azran-

    Proper story’s supposed to start at the beginning. Ain’t so simple with this one. Now here’s a kid whose whole world got all twisted, leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky.
    avatar
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 281
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-03-07

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Sebastrd on Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 pm

    Forum Pirate wrote:Thats not what i said. The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success.

    For you, The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success, for you.

    We're not all the same. winking
    avatar
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2388
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Eye of Terror

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by ChizFreak on Fri May 04, 2012 12:39 am

    Sebastrd wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Thats not what i said. The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success.

    For you, The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success, for you.

    We're not all the same. winking

    I will say it like this:

    Yes there is one true way. But no, it's not the only way.

    Of course you can do whatever you want to complete the game. But THERE IS a TRUE WAY to complete it. Why you ask? Because the developers made the game to give you certain emotions that only come if you play the game the way it's meant to be played.

    You can do it by using other methods, if you want to, but you won't get the True Emotion of Success that it's the point of playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls; it's not an opinion, it's a fact. The developers wanted YOU to feel THAT.

    If you don't want to feel that, then of course you maybe prefer other methods, but don't say there IS NOT a TRUE WAY.

    You may not like the challenge, but that doesn't mean it's not the way it's supposed to be. If you want spoilers: You are not supposed to kill the drake, because at low levels, it's near impossible. You're supposed to realize that by yourself, and then continue to look other ways forward; and there is a pretty obvious one. Doesn't that feel good if you discover it by yourself? Guess now you will never know.


    _________________
    ChizFreak
    A.K.A
    The Ninja Assassin - 1st Leeroy Cosplayer
    Master Backstabber - Daddy Long Legs


    PSN ID: ChizFreak - Steam ID: ChizFreak - YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChizFreak
    avatar
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 281
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-03-07

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Sebastrd on Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 am

    Ah, religion. It comes in all shapes and sizes. Look Skyward


    _________________
    GT: Sebastrd
    avatar
    Knavery
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-04-16
    Location : Minneapolis, MN

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Knavery on Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am

    Do whatever it is that's going to make you enjoy the game more. Personally, I'd start over, because I like my merchants alive and am a perfectionist that way. If others on this site feel that it's the easy way out, that's their problem--not yours.
    avatar
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 438
    Reputation : 17
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 39
    Location : Mexico City

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Doelker on Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am

    @gcates:
    First of all, don't waste your time trying killing the Drake right now. I believe its kind of overpowered for the stage and the SL your toon is right now and the weapons you carry.
    You say you are playing pre patch, so I think the blacksmith at the Parish won't sell any arrows. You'll find a female merchant later when you open a shortcut from the Lower Undead Burg to the Firelink Shrine through the acueduct ( remember the closed gate inside the acueduct from the shrine to the burg?)
    My other advice is, if you don't have much time to play, then use this toon as a training toon, try to get by yourself as far as you can, actually is harder in a pre patch game imo.
    When you get back safe home and you can really put some time into it then start a new toon and you'll be already used to it and start to really enjoying it.
    Good luck!!!


    _________________
    PSN: xBlutEngeLx
    XBG: qI Lone Wolf Ip
    avatar
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 51
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-05-03

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by gcates on Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 pm

    ChizFreak wrote:
    Sebastrd wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Thats not what i said. The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success.

    For you, The point of dks is the struggle and the satisfaction of overcoming it. Lessen the struggle by looking thing up, lessen the satisfaction of success, for you.

    We're not all the same. winking

    I will say it like this:

    Yes there is one true way. But no, it's not the only way.

    Of course you can do whatever you want to complete the game. But THERE IS a TRUE WAY to complete it. Why you ask? Because the developers made the game to give you certain emotions that only come if you play the game the way it's meant to be played.

    You can do it by using other methods, if you want to, but you won't get the True Emotion of Success that it's the point of playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls; it's not an opinion, it's a fact. The developers wanted YOU to feel THAT.

    If you don't want to feel that, then of course you maybe prefer other methods, but don't say there IS NOT a TRUE WAY.

    You may not like the challenge, but that doesn't mean it's not the way it's supposed to be. If you want spoilers: You are not supposed to kill the drake, because at low levels, it's near impossible. You're supposed to realize that by yourself, and then continue to look other ways forward; and there is a pretty obvious one. Doesn't that feel good if you discover it by yourself? Guess now you will never know.



    A.) As I said before I was merely asking a question, and I did not expect to be met with pretentiousness. Unlike some, I am not afforded countless hours of gaming time due to the simple fact that I am in Afghanistan. I am enjoying this game, as well as the difficulty of it, greatly, but at the same time, while for you spending 5-6 hours to "figure out" you can't kill something is all well and good, for me that is 5-6 DAYS of play time, and I already had made the base assumption that I likely couldn't.

    B.)Don't act like From Software didn't want people helping each other. After all, part of the online aspect of the game is hints gamers leave for each other. Also, don't act like you are in some way superior because I simply asked a question. I am far from the first person to do so, and I don't appreciate that one bit.

    C.) I won't waste my time asking any further questions here at any point.

    Sponsored content

    Re: First time playing, question about Drake in Undead Burg

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:37 pm