Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
NervArc
cloudyeki
Reaperfan
Imarreteet23
DoughGuy
BLA1NE
skarekrow13
FattyOfDoom
User
Rynn
bmurn
15 posters

Bad Strategy

bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Bad Strategy Empty Bad Strategy

Post by bmurn Thu May 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Ignoring times you have run into a room guns blazing, which I'm sure everyone has done at some point or another, what are the worst strategic decisions you have made, or the worst strategies you have adopted.

Here is my latest:

After losing a pile of humanity as a result of an invader killing me I sought revenge. Mind you not just losing it in a straight up battle, but rather runnng to challenge Nito with a Phantom we new we had been invaded. So I am keeping an eye open, but assuming they will probably come looking for us. As we, my phantom compadre graciously in the lead, pass through the tunnnel that leads to the bone towers on the ledge along with the giant skeleton archer a thought occurs to me: a sneaky invader might wait for us to go through that tunnel and then attack from behind. Another thought occurs, I should turn around and look for said sneaky type invader. Unfortunately, is was roughly between the words "turn" and "around" of my previous thought that the invader revealed that they apparently had come to this conclusion previously and were slightly ahead of me in determining this to be an effective strategy. So, said duplicitous, fog ring wearing, invading phantom proceeded to separate me from my life, from behind, while my phantom amigo turned to me as if to say "look at me, I am helping you, I just crushed that bone tower, I will pave a path of destruction in your honor... oh...look at you, that looks like it hurts... so that is where that devious phantom is...well... see you later....".

I awoke at the bonfire. angry and frustrated, thinking I can use my super darkmoon powers to get revenge. Afterall I knew the invader was a sinner, and I knew I could invade sinners, so it was only a matter of time before I found that underhanded vermin. But this required a special treatment. Something very irrational and not well thought out, so I switched over to the great lord great sword with the Darkhand as my secondary weapon. Thinking I could stunlock with the sword, switch to the dark hand and grab some humanity. One by one would recover the 21 humanity that invading scoundrel had cost me. I think I realized it was a stupid strategy at the time but the thought of that pile of humanity vanishing into nothingness on the floor of Nito's bedroom did not have me thinking clearly. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for the offending invader I never got paired with them again. As I have no doubt I would have succumbed to their treacherous ways numerous times.

Not the most exciting conclusion, but I think a clear indication of poor strategic planning.

Last edited by bmurn on Thu May 03, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to aply some generally well understood gramatical constructs in an effort to create a legible and coherent thought.)
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Bad Strategy Empty Re: Bad Strategy

Post by Rynn Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I tried to pivot backstab havel.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Post by bmurn Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Nice. First time I fought Havel I treated him like all the other enemies to that point and tried to block then counter attack. After the attempted block there was no me left to counter attack.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu May 03, 2012 4:55 pm

bmurn wrote:Nice. First time I fought Havel I treated him like all the other enemies to that point and tried to block then counter attack. After the attempted block there was no me left to counter attack.
    I tried it with a target shield.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu May 03, 2012 5:01 pm

I tried to kill Havel with Pyromancy when I first played... As I Pyromancer, I learned that blocking was not good with a cracked round shield.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 pm

You think that's bad Acid? I tried to parry him sad
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 pm

You can parry Havel.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu May 03, 2012 7:25 pm

I parried Havel... Dark hand. Parties don't work with Pyromancy glove with fireballs only, thou
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu May 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I also tried to block Havel. Other bad ideas included using my Life hunt on Nito and killing myself and attempting hit for hit with the Demon Firesage
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Picking the black firebombs instead of the Masterkey as gift on my first playthrough... Not so bad because it forced me to go through every area in the game, but this was pre-patch when you couldn't buy the masterkey. So if you didn't pick it as gift, you couldn't get it... Not bad on a first playthrough, but very annoying when you're on NG++++(etc) and you still can't skip anything.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Levelling up my res to 24 on a SL 60 toon because I didnt knwo it was useless and i wanted to make a tank.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Thu May 03, 2012 11:55 pm

I invaded in the Forest, and bow to this guy and his phantom. You'd actually be suprised, because usually people bow back. Not this time. The phantom runs over to me and backstabs me. That dosen't sound so bad, does it? Except that I thought that it would be a good idea to bow again. Maybe he couldn't see me the first time? Backstab. Okay, one more time, because I'm impulsive. Backstab, and I die.

Yeah, bowing isn't the best strategy whilst fighting gankers. Doh!
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 pm

I'll never forget my first fight against Ceasless Discharge when I didn't know his pitfall gimmick. I had just enough health to survive one of his attacks, so my strategy involved deliberately taking a hit and when I got up I would have just enough time to poke his tentacle and Estus once before he got off another attack, so literally chose to get slammed into the ground over and over until I had whittled down his HP. It remains to this day the only time I've ever used more than 15 Estus in a single battle and resorted to Humanity for healing purposes in PvE (outside of being a co-oping phantom).
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri May 04, 2012 12:51 am

Thinking that the pyromancer class would play like the royal class from demon's souls.

Did give me a chance to learn how to properly kill enemies one at a time till I got my favorite weapon.
    NervArc
    NervArc
    Casual
    Casual

Post by NervArc Fri May 04, 2012 1:42 am

That dang titanite Demon on the bridge in Lost Iz, I would never block any of his attacks because my plan was just to force my will on him like I did on the other Titabite Demons. So what does he do? One shots me with that jumping slam or knocks me off the bridge over and over. Reaperfan I feel your pain I did the same exact thing, after I found out about that gimmick, I didn't know whether to congratulate myself or put my head down in disgust.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri May 04, 2012 1:46 am

"Hey Befowler stand back and watch. I only have on light armor and a weak weapon, and that DM just buffed his weapon, and ran into the poison water with his Iron Ring on. I don't have one, so I'll just try to roll in the water. He has all the boulder guys and the bugs by him, but I bet I can take him."

I may be paraphrasing my last words a bit, I bet Befowler remembers that Abomination of a decision.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri May 04, 2012 5:32 am

Lol I wil lmention for Viral - "Hey Yukon, lets run straight at the hellkite, itll be fun."
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri May 04, 2012 5:42 am

"but he'll kill me!"
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bmurn Fri May 04, 2012 11:05 am

Trying to undead rapport a black phantom skeleton dog. I thought, cool, maybe I can get one of the black phantoms to fight the other black phantoms. Not a success.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 04, 2012 11:08 am

bmurn wrote:Trying to undead rapport a black phantom skeleton dog. I thought, cool, maybe I can get one of the black phantoms to fight the other black phantoms. Not a success.

lol I think you should have tried it on other skeletons first. You might have found a better grasp that it doesn't work
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bmurn Fri May 04, 2012 11:24 am

Yeah. It was really my 5th or 6th attempt to get by the bp skeleton dogs in the tomb. Not sure if you have been gravelorded there, but at the top of the ramp leading to the second bonfire one bp spawns and then another one if you continue down the ramp from the first, and then finally there is a third as you round the corner that leads to the hole with the ladder in it. So after trying straight on melee I started mixing it up. Tried force (don't have TWoG) to knock them off the ledges and couldn't get that to work. Tried kicking them off to no avail. Then tried undead rapport on a whim. Finally started using Firestorm to blast the first one off the ledge and then the second one. Then got the third one to chase me back towards the bonfire and as it came up the ramp I jumped down behind it and took off running for the Pinwheel room, hoping the gravelord was there. Of course as soon as I made it to that room after 1/2 hour struggling with the bps I got the "disasters are gone" message before I could find the gravelord sign.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 04, 2012 11:25 am

lol

I have been gravelorded and gravelorded everywhere with my companion. See?

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t3514-gravelord-black-phantom-catalog-aka-cursebook

Look from page 1 to 6 or 7.. you will see some gravelorded areas and picture we have taken... as well as some videos from others.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bmurn Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 am

I have looked at that thread on occassion. Good stuff.

You may know the answer to this then. While you are grave lording can you be invaded by a dark moon?

The entire time I was working on getting past the bp skeleton dogs, I was trying to invade as a dark moon as well. Hoping that by random chance I would connect with the same gravelord that cursed my world.

Also, where do you like to camp out when you gravelord in the tomb of the giants?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 am

If you have sinned before, you can get invaded by a Darkmoon. Of course, Darkmoon invasions that are outside Anor Londo are pretty rare, even if you have sinned a good amount.

Where do I like to camp while gravelording? The skeleton sarcophagus, where the large divine ember is. Where I do it, you will have to find out yourself. I possibly infected you, but I do not know your soul level.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bmurn Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am

As long as we are on this topic. Does gravelording count as sinning? Do you receive additional orbs (can't remember what the gravelording ones are called) if your victims are killed by the bp, or only if you kill them when they invade you.

I'm sl 120.

That is a nasty place to camp. The only time I go down there is to grab the ember and die.happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 am