Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
sinisterapathy
Quarik
PlasticandRage
befowler
berkut
ViralEnsign_
KomradDakka
11 posters

Day Z: KomradDakkas Journal

berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Day Z: KomradDakkas Journal - Page 2 Empty Re: Day Z: KomradDakkas Journal

Post by berkut Sun May 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Bought the game, time to try installing it for the next 42 hours to realize that it won't work on my macbook, meaning I will need to wait until I get a new video card for my currently defunct new pc silly

Edit: The website says I would need ARMA II:CO, what is that?
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon May 07, 2012 2:27 am

God I so want to platy this. STEAM here I come!
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 12:47 pm

berkut wrote:The website says I would need ARMA II:CO, what is that?

thats ArmA II and ArmA: Operation arrowhead, you need both to play but from what i understand you can run Day Z with ArmA II free and Op. Arrowhead.

Story time... time to take off your hats,

May 6th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Elektrosvedosk

We were holed up in the Elektrosvedosk (Elektro) power station after a long trek from Chernogork along the powerlines that spanned between the two port cities. After our escape from the city, we had set to work looting the large industrial complex known as Elektro.

We started in the civillian sector working our way from the main street down to the school house. the first floor of the building bore little gains, we already had plenty of ammo and food for awhile, so we continued our search to the second floor. When we had reached the top of the first staircase, D had spotted a bandit 12 oclock and high, attempting to get into a sniper position on us. I quickly plugged a slug into his left shoulder, D vollied a shot that would drop the bandit down from the ladder.

with the bandit dead, we resumed looting until we began hearing the screams of dozens of the undead. Our shots had alerted an entire towns worth of shambling corpses, who were flooding the school kicking and tearing at the doors to eat us. We backed into the corner of a long hallway and braced for the horde.

A wall of undead crested the top of the stairs of the second floor and we opened fire. the first rank dropped, only to be overcome by the next wave of ravenous zeds. 10, 30, 50, 80 zombies in and our ammo stores were all but depleted, i switched back to my makarov and continued plugging away with the last of my ammo stores were gone.

We managed to clear a path down the hallway in time to dive into a room and grab more ammo for our main weapons. We started to push back the advancing Z's downstairs to the main lobby and then out the door. we had done it. 120 zombies between us, and we had done it.

we met a lone survivor who had come to investigate, he patched us up and joined us in looting the now Zed free town, we made our way to the local firestaion, known to hold high quality weapons and gear. first floor was empty aside from cans, so we began to climb the observation tower. Just as we had reached the first floor, an unknown assailant opened fire at us from a distant field with a hunting rifle. his shot alerted a small horde on our position stranding us in the small firestation tower, in plain sight and trapped. D and our new friend began plinking away at the 20 or so zombies in the lower half of the base, while i used my binocs to glass the plains for the sniper.

"There he is! hes into the brick house on the house- southside! wait- hes headed inside, i cant see hi-"

*CRACK*

You Are Dead

so crushed, this game is so very rewarding, and so very punishing, it makes you cherish each bullet, and paranoid of every stranger, every firefight i had, i NEEDED to take a minute to catch my wits, this *** mod man... this *** mod.

5 hour life, 30 minutes longer than the average lifespan. New adventure soon!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Please pardon my ignorance of this game, but do the weapon/ammo stashes respawn after a certain amount of time? Can you find body armor or heavy weapons?

Also, from one of your earlier tales re Eiz, it sounds like he was in cahoots with your ambusher and just played friendly until his backup arrived. That's what my dark souls PvP sense is telling me anyway silly
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 1:28 pm

befowler wrote:Please pardon my ignorance of this game, but do the weapon/ammo stashes respawn after a certain amount of time? Can you find body armor or heavy weapons?

Also, from one of your earlier tales re Eiz, it sounds like he was in cahoots with your ambusher and just played friendly until his backup arrived. That's what my dark souls PvP sense is telling me anyway silly

No armor, yet. But there are heavy weapons, such as the m249 and other military grade dakka, the trade off is you got a target on your head for your gear, and the ammo is scarce,

And yeah, in hind sight, going straight to a fire was a poor idea, I've been playing very isolated for the most part, aside from my friend I play with, the only other guy we squaded up with was the guy in the last story.

Edit: and yes, there is a respawn rate for the stashes and loot, can't recall what it is though,
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Mon May 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Keep it up Dakka, I got ARMA II:CO installed on my laptop, so far so good, I will try to learn the controls later (and see if it continues to work) and then will download Day Z
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 4:54 pm

berkut wrote:Keep it up Dakka, I got ARMA II:CO installed on my laptop, so far so good, I will try to learn the controls later (and see if it continues to work) and then will download Day Z

awesome man, I will give you a heads up, this mod can be a pain to install. but once its all said and done with id say play some of the map editor first, get used to the controls and what not. keep in mind too that ArmA isnt a first person shooter as much as it is a Military simulator, so there are a rediculous amount of controls. just play around untill it feels comfy to use.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon May 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Is there a way to win or escape, or is the goal just to collect a big pile of loot and stay alive as long as possible? It seems very cool and the gameplay vids are fun, just curious if it's a pure sandbox.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 pm

so after my first true run through of a life i have this to say:

- trust no one, unless they are your friends (but watch them closely when your shared food is low)
    - kill bandits on sight, they wont give you the luxury of a warning shot
    - going for the centre of town? expect company
    - this game is difficult and buggy, even the engine tries to kill you.
    -the lee Einfield has a curse on it, every time you fire it, more zombies come
    -shotgun is quiet, but only good at close med range
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 5:11 pm

befowler wrote:Is there a way to win or escape, or is the goal just to collect a big pile of loot and stay alive as long as possible? It seems very cool and the gameplay vids are fun, just curious if it's a pure sandbox.

pure survival sandbox, players make thier own goals, some of the DayZ forum guys have tried taking an inland city over as thier endgame. me an D are trying to get hold of a heli and play as a quick response team for survivors, or as air taxi. the longest running survivor (20 in-game hours) make his living living in the forest, hunting wild game, and olny going city side to grab ammo and water, its all very subjective and up to you really!
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 5:12 pm

KomradDakka wrote:
    befowler wrote:Is there a way to win or escape, or is the goal just to collect a big pile of loot and stay alive as long as possible? It seems very cool and the gameplay vids are fun, just curious if it's a pure sandbox.

pure survival sandbox, players make thier own goals, some of the DayZ forum guys have tried taking an inland city over as thier endgame. me an D are trying to get hold of a heli and play as a quick response team for survivors, or as air taxi. the longest running survivor (20 in-game hours) make his living living in the forest, hunting wild game, and olny going city side to grab ammo and water, its all very subjective and up to you really!

another "end game" challenge, is looting every marked location on the map while collecting all the essential gears (knives, compass, map, gps, etc.)
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Hmm, I do not understand how to get the mod installed and working....

Also, the game runs like a sloth on my laptop, so I doubt I will get to far into this until I can get my pc in working order again
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 pm

When I get home in 15 minutes, ill find you that info graphic on the game, as for your laptop, it might not be quite up to snuff, but you could always try lowering the settings
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Got it installed, now I just need to figure out how to change my profile name, its currently my real name, which isn't really preferable
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 pm

under options > profiles i think. you can change it there to whatever you like, you can choose what your character looks like too.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

anyways, if your still having trouble, check this thread out. (i apologize for external links mods, i cant get a pic on here thats clear enough to read.

http://boards.4chan.org/vg/res/5199963 - should be the first pic. you might find usefull maps, (possibly spoilers) on here as well.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Okay, so I changed my profile, and I have entered a server, I go click the done/ok button, and it says loading mission, it usually gets about 9/10 done, then I never get passed that :/
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 pm

it takes a loooong time, just be patient, bear in mind that this is an alpha that is only months old.

also, if lots of people are trying to join the game at once, you could inadvertently DDoS the server lol!
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 pm

okay, going to close my browser and let it sit for a while, I'll be back on later to say how it goes.

@Viral: Are you getting this? It runs (partially) on my macbook, which is at least 4 years old
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue May 08, 2012 10:27 am

Alright, first experience in DayZ:

I wake on the shore, it's day time. I notice that I am near a road with some houses on it. I quickly move up to the houses and cautiously check them for zombies. When the coast is clear, I search them, only to find empty cans and soda bottles.

I then notice someone running through the fields. I try to hail them, but I get no response, I hid in the house and they disappear.

As my next destination, I see a gas station across the road. As a approach, I notice the corpses of three other survivors who had met untimely ends. A brief check of their corpses finds that they have already been stripped clean, except for a lone magazine for my marakov.

I find a soda some road flares in the gas station, my first loot, and make to a nearby barn. I notice a zombie in the distance, near the houses I was previously at, I ignore them.

I reach the barn and find some bullets for a gun I do not have, a bandage, another clip for my marakov, and a lee einfield with no ammo.

I then proceed down the hill towards a pair of houses. I notice zombies milling about, but decide to risk it. I reach the door to one of the houses, and as I prepare to sneak in.....a zombie comes out of it! He roars, and alerts two others to my presence. I fire on him, with a number of bullets entering his chest, but it does little to halt his advance. I get up and run, turning to fire on my assailants as I flee for my life. They manage to bite me a number of times, and I am losing blood fast. Eventually, finally, I manage to bring down the last zombie, I have lost a few thousand points of blood. I quickly bandage myself, and drink some water. I search the houses, only to find empty bottles, my near death for nothing.

I continue up a hill towards some other houses, avoiding more zombies. Finding nothing, I make for the shore, and enter a nearby city hoping to find some loot. Crawling on my stomach I evade the zombies I meet, until one rounds a wall. I back up slowly, being sure to stay low until I mange to slip around a wall. I hear a zombie scream in the distance, but no pursuers follow me.

I continue to crawl towards a small house. As I do, I think I notice something move, but I lose sight of it quickly. I crawl into the house, and just as I prepare to plan my next move my mind goes blurry, and I collapse, I've been hit? I lay there for a second, and then my unknown assailant finishes me off. My sight fades to black..........
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 am

Looks like you fell prey to bandits! But keep it up man, "its good to se thee, preserving thy humanity, heh heh heh heh..."
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Like the dark souls reference winking.

Next story:

My character awakens, he does not fully know where is his. But he thinks he is near a place called Klogogrov (or something like that). He decides to move along the beach, where it is heavily forested. Eventually, he comes to a small lighthouse. Approaching carefully, he crawls along, using trees to partially cover his advance in the off chance a sniper lays in wait there. Finding nothing and no one in the lighthouse, he climbs to the top of it to get a better grasp of his surroundings. Unfortunately, all he could see was forests, so he continued along the coast.

Eventually, he spotted something, a person! He ducked into the grass and asked for a friendly or foe confirmation. No response was heard, so he crawled behind a rock. When he peaked back out, the stranger was dead o_0! He crawled to the corpse and found it already looted, another corpse lay up the road, also looted.

After continuing up the road, he noticed a cow, but had no knife to gut it, so he let it live. Just a little ways on further, our hero noticed a village, and lots of zombies. However, he considered it worth it to try to infiltrate the village to look for goods. Crawling up to the first building, he got distracted by a zombie up ahead. Watching it for a while, he heard a growl come from beside him! He whipped around and found a zombie standing on top of him. Realizing that he could not kill this zombie without alerting the others, he decided that his best bet was to run and fight elsewhere. Looking over his shoulder, he found three zombies hot on his heels. He ran for a while, waiting for his moment to strike. He saw it when one zombie tried to bite him and missed, causing all three of the zeds to slow down, gaining him distance.

Using his makarov, he plugged the first one in the head, then continued with the other two.Using up his clip, he noticed 1, no 3 other zombies crouched down, coming towards him. He finished them off with another clip, leaving him with 3 clips remaining. He searched the zeds quickly, but found nothing.

Frightened, but unharmed, he proceeded back into the village. Crawling across the road, he found a house he could enter. He scanned its perimeter for zeds, and heard one growling inside. 'Curses' he thought, if there is something in there then I am going to fight for it. Crawling back to the windows, he peered inside to notice a gun lying in the dining room.

Determined to get it, he started crawling into the house, when suddenly the zombie inside of it started to attack him! Getting bitten multiple times, he unloaded at least 6 bullets into the zombie's midsection before it finally collapsed. Hearing the roars of nearby zombies, he limped into the building and closed the door, placed himself on the other side of the dining room and waited.

Within seconds, a zombie flung the door open, and our hero unloaded a bullet into its head (after having to reload). The second zombie shuffled after this last one, and three to four bullets later it was also dead. He waited a few precious seconds, but nothing came. He quickly bandaged himself, having lost about 2500 units of blood. He waited a bit longer, but heard no more activity. Time to check his loot.

He started first with the zombies, one held a clip for an assault rifle, possibly a good item to trade for with other survivors later. He checked everything else in the house, and managed to find a can of beans, a new canteen, and a brand new windchester double barreled shotgun with 17 bullets!

Heartened by having the security of this new gun, he crawled up into the forest to take a break (after checking out a small barn) before heading back into town to check the other side before continuing onwards along the coast.
    \
    To be continued.....
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Awesome! The winnie is my fav weapon so far. It nice and quiet and can one shot most zeds, pretty decent at close quarters with enemies too. All you really need now is a box of matches and a knife and your ready to head into the wilderness! Good luck.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks Komrad, hopefully we get the chance to play sometime, and hopefully viral will join us sometime.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Tue May 08, 2012 3:53 pm

what server do you usually play on? I'm usually on FR4 at night time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content