Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Sav_Alc
k0rruptid
aceluby
strangejoy
The_Tao
RANT
kiwi_commander
11 posters

Real PVPers fight with no shield!

kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Real PVPers fight with no shield! Empty Real PVPers fight with no shield!

Post by kiwi_commander Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

Hi all, well I have been a huge PVE pleyer in DKS for a while and my whole thing is to help people get through the later stages of the game as I am a sun bro. So this being my first PVP build I decided to go the extreme route and not use a shield at all... so I made a Lautrec build

So here is my question. I have my build pretty well figured (FAI/DEX Hybrid) out but I need help finding a weapon for my RH2 slot. Here are the slots

LH1: Occult Shotel+5 or other Elemental Shotel depending on mood
    LH2: Darkmoon Talisman
    RH1: Shotel +15, for buffs
    RH2: ?

Miracles
    Darkmoon Blade, Sunlight Blade, and Wrath of Gods

I was thinking of putting Avelyn in there, any other suggestions?

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Real PVPers fight with no shield! Empty Re: Real PVPers fight with no shield!

Post by RANT Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:01 am

what about man serpent gs? if you two hand it so you dont put a lot of pointd in str or since all is have are shotels you can try something with a little reach like a rapier.
    The_Tao
    The_Tao
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The_Tao Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 am

Off-hand Parrying Dagger.

Do eet!
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 am

RantFromRant wrote:what about man serpent gs? if you two hand it so you dont put a lot of pointd in str or since all is have are shotels you can try something with a little reach like a rapier.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Having a rapier or estoc will definitely change the gameplay of the build depending on the situation. If so, I will try that out when I get home tonight. Ricard's Rapier Lightning +5 might be a good candidate or maybe Ricards +15. I think Ricards +15 might not work that well because I might have to re-buff it.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm

kiwi_commander wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:what about man serpent gs? if you two hand it so you dont put a lot of pointd in str or since all is have are shotels you can try something with a little reach like a rapier.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Having a rapier or estoc will definitely change the gameplay of the build depending on the situation. If so, I will try that out when I get home tonight. Ricard's Rapier Lightning +5 might be a good candidate or maybe Ricards +15. I think Ricards +15 might not work that well because I might have to re-buff it.

A rapier's a great idea. An uchi or a balder side sword would also be a decent choice. If you have the strenght, a flamberge would be good.

Fyi, I think shieldless is the way to go in pvp. Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, most players who use a shield allow their opponent to control the flow of combat. People who dual wield or two hand tend to do more damage, break shield guards, and have more offensive alternatives.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

I've never met a really 'good' PvP'er who used a shield. Best combo I've found is some sort of long range weapon in the left hand and a RH weapon that does decent melee damage.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 pm

you can make a devine or occult bss, it fast and has a really long range for a straight sword, estoc is pretty awesome too, love the reach of it too. mail breaker? make them chaos, nnot sure but it might be better than lightning and it looks cooler.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 pm

btw, whats the best upgrade for the parrying dagger? ive never used it since i dont like dex builds but i do have it for my int build thats using velka's rapier
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

RantFromRant wrote:btw, whats the best upgrade for the parrying dagger? ive never used it since i dont like dex builds but i do have it for my int build thats using velka's rapier

It doesn't really matter. Are you going to attack someone with your parrying dagger R2, lol? If so, I guess any elemental path is fine.
    k0rruptid
    k0rruptid
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by k0rruptid Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 pm

havels shield all day baby!
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:59 pm

i guess youre right, if its just for parrying it doesnt matter what upgrade path i use. so itss gonna be parrying dagger on left with tcc hand with chaos mail breaker and mail breaker on the right.
    Sav_Alc

Post by Sav_Alc Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Finally..I thought I wuz the only person who went without a shield.
    The_Tao
    The_Tao
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The_Tao Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Went I dabble on my straight dex build I use Priscilla's dagger RH and Notched Whip LH
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Two hand your weapon, even if it's a dagger. If you've got no shield, there is no reason to not maximize weapon damage.

I usually keep a pyromancy flame with Combustion on my left hand when I do that; most people won't approach me, assuming it's not a level 1 flame = D
    k0rruptid
    k0rruptid
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by k0rruptid Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:52 pm

^correct me if im wrong but katanas dont even seem to add damage for 2 handed, the main katana ive used is a lightning washing pole+5, 2 handed just means you get a slower R2 that has less range, 1 handed r2 is much better
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Even elemental weapoins give extra damage two handed. The value in the menu might not change, but you'll do more damage with actual hits. The only weapon that doesn't get additional damage from being two handed is the crossbow.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm

It's more than just the damage, too. Two handing a weapon vastly increases its poise smashing profile and shield bashing profile.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah, I estimate about a 180% increase in stamina loss per hit on a shield, compared to using about 140% more stamina per swing. I usually get 30-40 extra damage per swing with elemental weapons, an extra 70-80 with pure dex weapons, and something like 150 from strength.

Straight Swords do double damage when two handed.
    k0rruptid
    k0rruptid
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by k0rruptid Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

double damage? why does it only increase it by a tiny amount? why cant we trust the numbers lol. makes it all the more confusing.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:12 pm

i always two hand my machete with grass crest on my back so i dont have to use green blossoms.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:28 pm

k0rruptid wrote:double damage? why does it only increase it by a tiny amount? why cant we trust the numbers lol. makes it all the more confusing.

I just know 2handing causes things to hurt more, and for some reason is incredibly effective with straight swords. I do just a bit under double the damage when two-handing any straightsword, this practically makes 2 handing a neccesity due to how bad Straight Swords are otherwise.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Washing pole + avelyn = legit

Gonna make a claw + whip off hand build for the lulz
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Has OP decided?

My opinion: Light Crossbow.

Hear me out! In Demon's Souls, I used to invade with a Sticky Compound Longbow +5 (or whatever it was, don't remember precisely, but it did absurd amounts of damage!). It either killed my opponents in a few shots, or forced them to turtle while they made their way to me. And that's when I'd pull out my Blind and kill them right through their shield--surprised the hell out of everyone!

You can essentially do the same with your Shotel. So I'd recommend the Light Crossbow to get your opponent to turtle. I say this one rather than the Avelyn because the latter is too slow. Your opponent just dodges the first shot and doesn't need to worry about the following 2 while you're stuck in the shooting animation and then the interminable reloading animation. So it doesn't really get them turtling; just rolling a little bit. With the Light Crossbow, on the other hand, you can keep constant pressure on them and keep annoying them with it until they turtle. At which point you pull out your shotel and kill them through their shield!

Try it, lots of fun.
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't use a shield- I've got a +5 lightning claw in the left. Does pretty good damage and parries well. Often catches people out because the delay before the swipe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am