Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
DamageCK
cloudyeki
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Glutebrah
User
FruitPunchNinja
RANT
PPG-3-
RagingDragon_69
13 posters

Where is the honor?

RagingDragon_69
    RagingDragon_69
    Addicted
    Addicted

Where is the honor? Empty Where is the honor?

Post by RagingDragon_69 Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 am

So I belong to the forest covenant on most of my toons. And I see a fair amount of gankers/farmers. But I have found that almost half of them now are looking for legitmate 1v1 PVP.

So I decided to start a new toon and try hosting in the forest for a change of pace. And it saddens me to say that the forest invaders have mostly turned into gankers. On about 90% of the invasions I had last night, the invader waited until they had a 2nd invader before fighting. Now don't get me wrong I expect the odd 1v2 as I never summoned a phantom and was looking for 1v1. But they would either intentionally wait for another invader, or they would engage me and if they started to lose they would run away and heal then wait for another invader. I never once used my flask out of the 80 invasions, but at least half of the invaders used humanity when they were low. Or even worse they would bow and when I bowed back they would attempt to backstab me. But thankfully I always leave enough room between us that they can't get to me in time.

And so I ask where is the honor? I always thought we were better than the farmers/gankers in the forest. But from what I saw we are now worse then them. It made me ashamed to be a forest hunter if that is how hosts see us. Especially if they were new to Dark Souls.
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Where is the honor? Empty Re: Where is the honor?

Post by PPG-3- Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

I came to the same conclusion about a month ago. Now when I got to the forest. I always summon a phantom. If the invader wants a 1v1 he came take on the phantom first.
    But going in their solo is just suicide at times unless I employ cheap backstabbing tactics and the such.

So Kilin has gotten worse. Forest has goten worse. Dark Anor has always been bad.

What's left? Painted world and organized fight clubs.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm

PPG-3- wrote:I came to the same conclusion about a month ago. Now when I got to the forest. I always summon a phantom. If the invader wants a 1v1 he came take on the phantom first.
    But going in their solo is just suicide at times unless I employ cheap backstabbing tactics and the such.

So Kilin has gotten worse. Forest has goten worse. Dark Anor has always been bad.

What's left? Painted world and organized fight clubs.

when was the forest good for pvp? i've always hated the kiln because of the uneven ground, a lot of poepl just run away to the bks and heal, and those damn pillars are a pain, everyone hides there to either heal or to stay away from your buff. painted world has gangbangers now, theres some good legit duelers but its getting harder to find them. last night i had some pretty good duels against a falchion user and that was it.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 pm

you know what i do, i join forest cove then host in the forest. this makes it so no forest invaders invade but reds can. although i will admit most people hosting and invading in the forest are the worst of the trolls. i just really like the forest area in a cosmetic sense.

anyone see that sansvie yesterday with the 2vs2 crossbow only match in the forest basin? looked so fun.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue May 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I bow with my worm, and I insult with my worm. I wait for them to stop and bow, and If they just stand their waiting, I show my worm and bang my sword on the ground a couple of times, waiting. Sometimes I just stand their and wait, until I see them do a bow or other form of art.

Honour is a treat, nothing more. if they show it, then take it. If I am invaded with my companion, I usually tell her to step back and let me just do it, whether I am the master or the summoned. However, if such beings show that I know will not be of honour, I show no mercy. I wear cloth clothing and use a sword with either a dark hand or a skull lantern. My inventory is handicapped in a sense, with the only exception being the serpent greatsword, with my great hammer and crossbow (which I use less than my sword for my work).
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Tue May 01, 2012 1:13 pm

when the game first came out the forest was amazing. I mean, it still is an amazing venue when you think about it. The sheer size and the amount of tree cover makes it really interesting. I remember first getting invaded there and having two spirits moving behind trees inching closer really made me panic. And even if I was rushed by two phantoms it didn't leave the same taste in my mouth as it does now.

For the most part its just clone wars. So only fight club is left for legit duels?

On my SL 60 toon i'll invade and take out phantoms first then force a legit duel with the host. but even those reek of effort.
    RagingDragon_69
    RagingDragon_69
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RagingDragon_69 Tue May 01, 2012 1:33 pm

I do the same thing. When I invade I always try and kill the phantom first. That way, even if I die to the host, the next invader has a chance for a 1v1. I also will back off if another phantom invades, and goes after the host while im 1v1ing. Giving the host the chance to deal with the other invader before re-engaging.

The problem is I just love the atmoshere, the terrain and the sheer vastness of the forest. I have tried other areas and i feel they all pale in comparison to the forest. Plus I can invade from anywhere. All you have to do is put on the ring, I could be in New Londo farming for slabs, but I will still invade the forest. It gives you more freedom as you do not have to stay in the area you want to invade.

I can't tell you how many times I have chased a host that jumped the gap, and I jumped after him and landed a plunging attack on him while he is flasking. Usually killing him. cheers

Besides us forest invaders lose nothing but a couple minutes of our time if we lose. So why not have fun doing it? Instead of just ganking. We should be better than the hosts, not stooping to the level of the farmers/gankers.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Klin has gotten to the point that i now invade with my +5 lightening rapier and hornets ring, and if i see its only 1 person i swap to my real set.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 01, 2012 2:33 pm

there is still the no poise zone... im not surei f i should state the location lest gankers move there... though there are already youtube vids of it, *cough*demon ruins just before the centipede demon*cough*, also has any one tried duelling in lost izalith? there are some good open areas once you clear the monsters... catacombs has gankers now, but the terrain makes it more like a tower defense game than your usual gank fest... totg is just too hazrdous...
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Tue May 01, 2012 2:47 pm

yea demon ruins is always my ace in the hole. but I'm going to venture off to the burg and see for myself what many ppl have been talking about.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I got called out on this recently. Playing with a new set up, fog+Dsb and magic. I invade and see the guy running around by the stairs, I thought he was looking for a summon. So I start firing away, catching him twice. And then another fog ring hunter that was hiding took that chance and OHK with a bandit's knife.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue May 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Glutebrah wrote:Klin has gotten to the point that i now invade with my +5 lightening rapier and hornets ring, and if i see its only 1 person i swap to my real set.

I do this A LOT. The Kiln is just as bad as any other place now. I also have a pyro build with 8 slots, and I just spam spells with the dusk crown on. It's also pretty effective.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue May 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I guess you haven't invaded me. Don't worry, I am sure you will find me. I will hunt you down... yolky hungers for your souls... as do I.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

I want to be gravelorded by Acidic sad
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 pm

In my experience, nearly every seeming invitation to a 1v1 duel in the forest is a trap. 19 out of 20. If I want fair duels, I'll go to the burg at sl120. When I'm in the forest, I just want dead farmers.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Tue May 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Same thing goes for us who are with the Darkmoon covenant. We don't lose anything when we invade and lose. I use to hunt in Anor Londo until I kept getting sent to two gankers repeatedly who would make sure the bridge was down and one would wait right behind the spawn while the other would rush forward as I finished the spawn animation. God I hate that. one even bowed before starting so as I was in the middle of my bow he backstabs me. Gotta hate that.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm

sparkly i have only found about 3 people in the "no poise zone" actually obeying that rule. i have been different times of the day and most of the time its just regular fights where everyone has 76+ poise. I think that was just an idea that never took off.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 01, 2012 5:51 pm

dang, oh well, guess i'm going to start invading lost izalith then as very few summons drop sign there and the monsters aren't that tough so hosts could clear an area then duel...
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 pm

its stupid for us to assume that other people have honour, after joining the FC and having honourable duels i got used to it and started going to the kiln, you soon loose that sense of honour when 1/3 invasion are a trap, now instead of bowing i just dont attack they bow i buff,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm