Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
barrywilkins
DoctorGraveyard
WyrmHero
Robotech
DoughGuy
neon__noodle
Yarxov
SlakeMoth
12 posters

What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please

SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please Empty What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm talking PvE here. I'm not sure which armour is best to use and what, if any, particular spells they are weak against. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please Empty Re: What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please

Post by Yarxov Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Bait them into an attack and BS them.

Poise is important too.
    neon__noodle
    neon__noodle
    Addicted
    Addicted

What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please Empty Re: What's the best defence against Dark Wraiths please

Post by neon__noodle Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 pm

^ what he said. Their chain attacks can bell your guard if you're not careful. Let them attack, sidestep them them bs.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:25 pm

And don't try to parry them, if you miss your screwed.

Waiting for them to use the Dark Hand grab is usually the best, leaves them wide open.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Well thanks, but I've managed to do a backstab precisely once and I'm on my second playthrough. I haven't a clue.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Yarxov wrote:And don't try to parry them, if you miss your screwed.

Waiting for them to use the Dark Hand grab is usually the best, leaves them wide open.

I don't know how to parry either. Guess you're all wondering how I manage to kill anything. It's a mystery to me too.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Basically wait until they kick/dark hand , get behind them and attack. Even if you dont bs its stll the safest way to kill them. Just dodge their normal attacks unless you have a greatshield or high poise, they eat through your stamina.
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Looking at their armor it looks like their weakness is lighting.
    Be carefull not to get soul sucked.
    Imo dont risk trying to parry/riposte because if you miss you're going to face a heavy blow. As ppl abv said go for backstabs. Another thing to watch out when facing them is that when they aggro you can hardly see them until they are almost next to you as they are very silent... looks around you if you are not 100% familiar with their exact locations! gl
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm off to get killed again.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I practice parries against them, although I sometimes get killed.
    DoctorGraveyard
    DoctorGraveyard

Post by DoctorGraveyard Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:52 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:
    Yarxov wrote:And don't try to parry them, if you miss your screwed.

I don't know how to parry either. Guess you're all wondering how I manage to kill anything. It's a mystery to me too.

Dont feel bad; took me two months to find the "lock on" button, hahah. Assuming PS3; parry is L2 with a shield or a lighter weapon. you just gotta time it right (usually as the weapon comes down for chops/slashes, or as the guy moves his hand forward to stab). As people've said, parrying wont get you too far with the dark wraiths (though it's satisfying when you do) The best success I've had with them is to just block and strafe while locking on, and when they stop attacking just spam R1, chances are you'll get a back stab, and if not, he will die just from stuns from a break in his poise.

Also do what you can to avoid attracting more than one Darkwraith at a time - its muuuuuch harder to fight two at once (though I doubt that needs to be stated). Anyways, good luck!
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:38 pm

what i do is watch their moves closely. if they are going for the single swing, i parry. if double swing, just run/shield. if they remember they can swing more than once though. ROLL ROLL ROLL. hornets ring+bs=deadwraith also.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Great shield and heavy armor Slake. If you want the defense without Havel's weight I recommend Black Iron +5. A great shield can repel their attack briefly leaving them open for an attack. Don't get greedy and remember to drop your shield right after to regenerate stamina. You'll get em
    Sunbro4evar
    Sunbro4evar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sunbro4evar Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:55 pm

I was about to comment saying just parry them but seeing all the other people saying don't, well just go with a BS then. Works really well too. They constantly leave themselves wide open and they don't have the best tracking.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Get out the eagle shield, strafe right.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Do you keep your shield up right before trying to backstab? If you do, that could be one of the reasons why you're not successfully backstabbing. For some reason, if you hit R1 too soon after dropping your shield, backstabs don't work. Try lowering your shield sooner before attacking, and it should work.

Also, a very useful skill to develop to backstab, is to be able to do it without lock-on. It's actually very easy. You just need to be aware of your opponent's facing (since this is more easily performed while running, your right thumb will be on the O button instead of the right stick, so your opponent might go off your screen), run around them without lock-on, and once you're behind their back simply flick your left stick in the direction of their back to turn toward it then attack. Might sound complicated the way I'm explaining it, but it's not!

This is especially useful against the Darkwraiths, because they have a tendency to do the same predictable and easy to dodge stab-attack when you aggro them from a certain distance (it's a running-R1, you could say). So aggro them, wait for them to come running at you, and they'll do their running-stab. (If they're walking, then they're not going to do the stab... in which case raising your shield and locking-on might not be a bad idea, if you don't have enough poise to tank a hit from them while getting around to their back.) When they do the running-stab, simply run around them until you're behind their back, flick your stick toward them, and hit R1--backstab! (I usually do a good 3/4 turn around them while trying to get to their back, because they'll track your movements for 1/4 turn when doing their stab attack.)

I hope that didn't sound complicated, good luck!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am