Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED]

MrG

New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED] Empty New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED]

Post by MrG Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 am

I'm planning to create a new toon, and after looking some builds online I got more and more undecided.
    My idea is to get through the normal enemies with parry-riposte/backstab, and confront bosses using a weapon 2handed (and maybe shield on the back or absolutely no shield).
    My personal preference for the parry/riposte are the classic rapier, BSS, Estoc... but I'm opened to new horizons at this point.

For the bossing part I don't have any idea, except that I would like to get more damage output instead of poking them with a piercing/thrusting weapon.

My final thoughts:
    Pyromancy: yes, why not?
    Sorceries: Could be a possibility
    Miracles : Could be a possibility
    Armor : Light definitely <25% even without DWGR or even in dragon armor torso
    Weapons : I don't really like katanas or the everybody's favorite claymore. but if they are the best options I'll consider it.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Since, as you can read I know what I would like to do in game, but I don't know what kind of build could fit this playstyle.

Any help is much appreciated.

A quick edit to add that I'm planning play solo and no co-op, to reach and to stay at SL120 even if I will run multiple NG+s

Last edited by MrG on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    MrG

New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED] Empty Re: New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED]

Post by MrG Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:45 am

Shameless bump,
    a little help please? =]
    Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED] Empty Re: New toon on the way, need some advice... [RESOLVED]

Post by Yog Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 am

First things first. Welcome to the forum sir!

It sounds like you want to do a dex build to me. BSS is an excellent choice of weapon for that. I play a dex/faith build on my main. In pve I got my dex, vit and end up to about 25 first. Then I got my end up to 40 followed by vit and finally my dex. After that I put my faith up to 40 and my attunement to 12.

Once your faith gets up you can use SLB or DMB to buff your weapon for boss fights.

If you want to know my equiptment for pve I wear the full dark set, heater shield, uchigatana, DWGR and hornet's ring. I use a different loadout for pvp, but that's another story. Anyways that was enough to get me to ng++++

Is that any good to you? Post any followups you have and good luck to you sir.
    MrG

Post by MrG Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 am

Thank you for your input Yog and it's a pleasure to finally have subscribed this forum =]

Now back to the build, I have a couple of questions.
    It is really necessary to boost the endurance to 40, even though I'm planning to use dex weapons and very light armor? (low stam consume fast regen).

Also, will the BSS (even with DMB or SLB) pack a punch through bosses or I will just "poke the boss to the death"?

Oh and since it comes to my mind, how the Leo ring can be helpful with this build? Does it affects BS and Riposte as well (like the hornet ring) or just the normal attack of a thrusting sword?

Again thanks for your help =]
    Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Yog Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:02 am

You're welcome. Glad to have you here.

Unless you're a spell caster I would always recommend 40 end for max stamina. You would be surprised how fast it depletes even with low consume.

The BSS will definitely do fine against bosses when buffed to +14 or 15 especially when buffed with SLB or DMB. No problems there.

The leo ring is not going to help you out very much. It only works on counters which are not what it sounds like they are. It will not work with ripostes or bs. What it does work on is if you hit after you kick an opponent or if you hit someone during a roll on a frame that doesn't have invincibility. Stuff like that.

I find that in pve it's best to have one ring that you count on for your build, Let's say hornet ring for arguments sake, and use the other ring slot for situational boosts. For instance rusted iron ring in the swamp, flame stoneplate ring against bosses wielding fire, covetous gold serpent ring for farming items, orange charred ring for lava walking and cursebite ring for those pesky basilisks.
    MrG

Post by MrG Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 am

Ok Yog(sothoth? =P),
    I think I'll try the dex/faith build and see how it comes out.

Thanks
    MrG

P.S. Off-topic: Last weekend I accidentally summoned Azathoth, a lucky escape saved my life but I'm now in a strange place, where everyone is wearing masks and having good times... They even offered me a glass of champagne. strange people indeed. =P

Have a good time on DrkS!
    Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Yog Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm

You figured me out. That makes you the first.

Good luck and enjoy sir.

p.s. If you're on xbox pm me your gamertag and I'll send you a friend request if you like.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 am