Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
FruitPunchNinja
WyrmHero
Maneater_Mildred
befowler
Baal-Avatar
sen545331
Sn@rf
11 posters

Straight sword build?

Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Straight sword build? Empty Straight sword build?

Post by Sn@rf Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 am

Alright, this is my first post on these forums so first off, whats up.

I've been lurking around here for a while and play dark souls pretty much everyday. Last night i got bored and quite because it seemed like every person I invaded as a forest hunter was either wielding a katana or a great sword, both of which were usually lightning. Then today I was reading a "my new PvP build" post when someone made the suggestion of using straight swords like Darksword or Sunlight Straight sword and I thought that was an awesome Idea. I have NEVER seen anyone doing it. Is it viable? I don't tend to be the greatest player but I do decently well 1v1 and would really love to manage to put together a build like this.

so far this is what I've come up with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRgktzRvZ0

Shortly after making this, I realized I blow at making builds from scratch so now I'm asking for help to make this build better.

Nothing is set in stone, I just did the high faith and Astora's because it seemed more versatile. As for the rest of the gear, I don't know much about rings and armor so I just kinda went for poise and mobility.

any changes and critiques are very encouraged as I would really like to perfect this build.
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Straight sword build? Empty Re: Straight sword build?

Post by sen545331 Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 am

well, if you're looking for decent straight swords, i'd probably go sunlight/dark since they have some of the best straight damage for its class, or barbed because of the aux bleed effect... they can also be upgraded a long any path, and the darksword has a cool moveset/looks as well

for stats, just base it around what you want the character to do, or even go RP a build for ideas

EDIT: Lol on the video btw
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 am

Welcome to the forums Sn@rf.

I have never used it much, but many people say the Balder Side Sword with a buff is a very viable option for a straight sword in PVP. I have fought a few people who use them and it is fast and seems to have good range. I am sure others could give more insight.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 am

Straight swords are awesome, check out:

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t4174-straight-swords

Also a build based on a frog is..interesting. There's a Chrono Trigger joke in there somewhere.
    Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Post by Sn@rf Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 am

Lol No clue how that happened but if my build is anywhere near as BA as that frog is I'd be stoked. Heres the actual build

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=YmFuZGl0LDQwLDEyLDMzLDMwLDMwLDExLDgsNDAsMCw1OCw0LDQ3LDUwLDMxLDI1LDE2MSwxNywxMjMsMjEsbm9ybWFsLG5vcm1hbCxub3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLDAsNDYsNjEsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwz

(P.S. I haven't used forums in a long time and gave up on trying to remember how to make this a link.)
    Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Post by Sn@rf Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:02 am

I figured I'd bring this thread back on more time rather than make a new topic

I decided to make a class based around BSS and Astora's with an option to use a buffed Richard's Rapier. I know it's not perfect but so far it's the build I like the most so far.

http://tinyurl.com/7c4dcly

Any critiques would be very appreciated, however my two main questions are:

1. Should I drop faith down to 40 or so to raise other stats like vit, end, or stamina?

2. Is dropping my vit so low and relying on Mask of The Mother going to gimp me out?
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 am

1st is your name from snarf quest?

Build looks like 1 of mine that i really like, but i stayed 40 faith and got 40 end and vit. Also i wear a sack and have SLB instead of WoG.
    Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Post by Sn@rf Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:41 am

I'm not sure if I understand why there would be an advantage to using SLB over DMB outside of wanting to be in a different covenant.

As for my name, its from Thundercats, been using it since the original Counter-Strike came out. lol
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:45 am

Um i have dmb and slb, both of them! And no wog. Other than those differences and the stats they are the same. Bss is a really good weapon to buff.

Oh and why i have both is because of GMB. Ie. You buff with dmb and they cast gmb, so i debuff and buff with slb.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 am

One of my builds uses Sunlight Straight Sword buffed with Sunlight Blade. For me it's too short on range, and slower than a rapier. I think the Balder Side Sword is more viable for PvP (due to its fast swings).
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:31 am

the balder ss is my favorite straight sword. it has the best range and scales well with dex. this is basically the same build you made except with more in vit(which is a good idea). Lots of people look down at high vit builds but in my opinion you should really have lots of vit for pvp. 30-40 vit is more then enough for pve but youll get ohko a lot in pvp.

http://tinyurl.com/84s28vl
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:00 pm

the balder side sword is a DEX sword, for the dark/sunlight sword I think the best to do its to put 30 STR and 30 dex, however, thats dificult to make a 120 build, unless you don't use any magic. otherwise you will have to sacrifice Vit and End
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Does anyone here has a 120 Murakumo build? That would work for a Straight sword build as well! Feel free to share
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:38 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=188706808

best I could do bases on a character I already have
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:49 pm

i love my newest murakumo+chaos blade build. but like you said i had to sacrifice spells.

http://tinyurl.com/7eva5le

i had it with 55vit but i thought i might regret not being able to att even pyro spells.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:i love my newest murakumo+chaos blade build. but like you said i had to sacrifice spells.

http://tinyurl.com/7eva5le

i had it with 55vit but i thought i might regret not being able to att even pyro spells.

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=247798356 - for murakumo

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=157477109 - for darksword
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 am

Balder Side Sword looks like a rapier, but performs as a straight sword. It's arguably the best choice because it seems to have the longest reach.

Darksword, Sunlight Straight Sword or the Barbed Sword are other options, Barbed seems appealing its range sort of hurts. Sunlight SS isn't bad, but I'd still recommend buffing it in some way, if not only with Charcoal Pine Resin, not so much for sheer damage as the effect.

Also, I recommend at least 2/3 as much Str as Dex to make the most out of C/C scaling and which will maximize 2H damage when you wanna wail a bit.
    Karn
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Karn Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 am

BSS has amazing reach. The thrust attacks are just nuts, many times I've judged an opponents swing length and used the R2 just as I get out of reach. This enables the Leo Ring to kick in for counter and when buffed can dish out some pretty crazy damage.

The BSS though is a dex scaling weapon, unlike most other Straight swords. I haven't really used any of the other Straight Swords, but the BSS is definitely my favorite weapon so far.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 am

My reccommendations for a Straight Sword build would be to make a Str/Dex hybrid. Since most scale evenly with Str and Dex this will push the most damage out of your weapon as possible. In terms of stats it would look something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/7ytdnys

Know that this link is only for stats, the armor and rings are left empty because it's entirely personal choice, and the weapon slots are filled with the 4 most suggested swords in this thread so that you can compare damage between them. Don't go into fights naked weilding 4 swords lol winking

The 40/40 build is incredibly flexible, and able to weild any weapon that doesn't have innate Int or Fth scalings, so you could even use a Claymore or Murakumo to great effect with this build. In terms of the Straight Swords though, my vote goes to the Sunlight Straight Sword since it has the most flexible moveset of them all and gets the most damage when two-handing. And if you decide that you really want to be able to buff your weapons, you can take the Str and Dex down to 30 each and put those extra points into Int/Fth and a bit of Attunement allowing you access to some buffs.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

Bump, because this thread is interesting and I would like more opinions on Buffed straight sword builds big grin
    Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Post by Sn@rf Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm

can you say successful first thread! lol

I'm actually glad you did that because my toon is still in its prime and a lot of these comments are really affecting how I progress my character.

Still leaning towards higher faith though because it seems like straight sword buffed with dmb or slb is going to greatly outshine any damage done by a basic 30/30 or 40/40 build.

However if you didn't want to rely on buffs this seems like the best plausible build. If you want you could drop a few stats to 35 or one to 40 to raise something to 50, you also retain a the ability to use pyro, as well as a diverse range of armor.

Also, I have noticed that straight swords definitely break down stamina when attacking an opponent who is blocking very quickly, staggering them within a couple of swings. Do they also have a similar effect on poise?
    Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Post by Sn@rf Wed May 02, 2012 8:19 pm

So that I don't keep putting posts about what build I'm going to end up with, I'm just going to put it here.

what do yall think for my straight sword build?

[http://tinyurl.com/czzxchp

or

http://tinyurl.com/6pggdo2

I'd be using pretty much the same armor with both, probably a bit lighter with the first. The first build lets me use most straight swords (all of them with an easy tweak), as well as grant, large club and a plethora of other weapons. This would give me all around versatility and other weapons to use if I got bored.

The second maximizes damage for BSS + DMB or SLB, as well as giving me a fair amount of damage with Astora's and katanas

I'm thinking about making them both, but I'm reluctant to make two faith based classes in a row.(looking ate you mlgs...

Last edited by Sn@rf on Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
    Karn
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Karn Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Sn@rf wrote:So that I don't keep putting posts about what build I'm going to end up with, I'm just going to put it here.

what do yall think for my straight sword build?

[url=mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=262753549]mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=262753549[/url]

or

http://tinyurl.com/6pggdo2

I'd be using pretty much the same armor with both, probably a bit lighter with the first. The first build lets me use most straight swords (all of them with an easy tweak), as well as grant, large club and a plethora of other weapons. This would give me all around versatility and other weapons to use if I got bored.

The second maximizes damage for BSS + DMB or SLB, as well as giving me a fair amount of damage with Astora's and katanas

I'm thinking about making them both, but I'm reluctant to make two faith based classes in a row.(looking ate you mlgs...

[url=mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=262753549]mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=262753549[/url]

For the second build I'd recommend scrapping the astora sword, I'm fairly certain an occult or divine BSS will do more damage, or you can go for an occult/divine claymore or any other greatsword and use that for the people you run into who have low poise. Or for when your buff runs out, though with two of them it would be less of a worry.
    Sn@rf
    Sn@rf

Post by Sn@rf Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 am

my whole goal right now is to not use greatswords, and if I were to raise my strength Id have to sacrifice another stat somewhere else on the second build. As for Astora's, I'm just using it for leveling right now and happen to like it, my main weapons would be richard's and BSS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm