Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Tolvo
DxV04
sinisterapathy
Serious_Much
Whknight
Rynoa
Imarreteet23
FruitPunchNinja
12 posters

Dragon's Dogma Demo Today!

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Dragon's Dogma Demo Today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragon's Dogma Demo Today!

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm

yea i really hope there is some sort of difficulty level because it seemed way to easy. i didnt need to use any tatics and i had to try in order to get killed.

to what serious said in reply to one of my comments, i have seen tons of gameplay and capcom has given early versions to tons of game reviewers and they all seem to like it and ive seen a lot of gameplay from in town that looks great. My guess is they really want your "adventure" to begin when you by the full game. if it isnt as easy and simple as the demo then i can already tell im going to love the game. the character creation is great(its good in the demo and it seems they left some options out) and i cant wait to design my group of adventurers.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:05 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:yea i really hope there is some sort of difficulty level because it seemed way to easy. i didnt need to use any tatics and i had to try in order to get killed.

to what serious said in reply to one of my comments, i have seen tons of gameplay and capcom has given early versions to tons of game reviewers and they all seem to like it and ive seen a lot of gameplay from in town that looks great. My guess is they really want your "adventure" to begin when you by the full game. if it isnt as easy and simple as the demo then i can already tell im going to love the game. the character creation is great(its good in the demo and it seems they left some options out) and i cant wait to design my group of adventurers.

That sounds promising then, the whole online thing with the allies is perking my interest quite a lot as it sounds like a pretty fresh concept in online usage, I'll just wait a while till you guys give me verdict on the finished thing though. silly

P.S. My demo is a few minutes from download completion happy
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm sorry, end of prologue quest "Claim the ring", wow, is this lord of the rings? silly
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm

the first time you play it seems kinda mediocore because its to easy and you dont need to try to kill the enemies. ive played it a few more times and learned the controls and skills of each class they let you play.Its going to be an awesome game i cant wait to play it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:04 pm

skills of each class?

I created a guy who was meant to be wearing nothing on his torso and a wolf on his head like a real man, then got into the gryphon mission and had him put something on! ridiculous. silly I didnt even get to keep his massive *** off sword :evil:

To me, the game seems a lot of fun, but from what impression the demo gives, the action has no depth to it, and very little skill required of you too.

tried to get another class. You get daggers and bow or regular shield guy on other thing.. I'm starting to wonder if you can ever use the guys with magic, I'd love to get a guy with a sword and staff.. Maybe I'll call him gandalf so it feels less cheap when they start talking about rings of power :roll:
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 pm

The demo was made to be easy. The pawns were very high level for one. They likely dumbed it down to allow for newbs to play it.
    I watched a long video of a reviewer playing it and it was much harder. He stressed that you have to be very careful about what you fight, if you don't want to die a lot.
    I loved the challenge of DS and hate easy games or button mashers. This game has a stamina bar, so button mashing is less likely.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:37 pm

laezyre wrote:This game has a stamina bar, so button mashing is less likely.

The stamina isn't drained by doing regular attacks though, thats the thing. It's only drained by you doing one of your 'special' attacks or when you attack whilst grappling onto a massive thing.

To me, it still seems very button mashy, not matter what way you look at it really the enemies have that much health when you attack them, you need at least 5 attacks to kill something, and thats for the little guys..
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:43 pm

How many attacks does it take to kill a boss in DS on your first run through(NG) ?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 pm

laezyre wrote:How many attacks does it take to kill a boss in DS on your first run through(NG) ?

Less than it does to kill a boss on Dragon's dogma, but yet the fights on 1st playthrough of Dark are longer, wonder why. silly

They have like multiple bars of health on it like they have orbs beneath they're 1st bar saying they got spare, kinda ridiculous really lol!

I'm not knocking the game, I think it's fun as hell. But the combat from what I saw is more fun/visuals orientated than realistically, all I'm saying. I'm not expecting it to be a Dark Souls clone, i wouldn't want it to be big grin
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 am

I don't know how I feel about this game anymore big grin
    I played the demo yesterday - very short demo, most of the time I spent creating my characters - and I'm not sure if I liked it or not :shock:
    Well I guess I've got a month to figure it out. I want to like it since I found out you can buy armors and weapons from Berserk cheers http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/16/dragons-dogma-has-guts-the-berserk-character/
    RaSoul
    RaSoul
    Regular
    Regular

Post by RaSoul Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 am

I played the demo yesterday and I like the boss battles, that you can grab onto the monster and stab it till it dies. Also I like the companions, they are far more interactive than Dragon Age, they give tips and the fight actually feels dynamic happy

Although it seems nice and worth a try, my thumb hurts today cause of all the attack spamming against the Wyrm... :| (Didnt like how the health is displayed, the dots and so on)
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:11 am

I think they also want you to explore. I have not had much time to play it but I ran down into some seemingly inaccessible areas. I had to use the climbing ability of the arisen to get out.

Also, I do really think the pawns and yourself are overpowered in the demo. I like it. I am going to preorder it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:38 am

DxV04 wrote:I think they also want you to explore. I have not had much time to play it but I ran down into some seemingly inaccessible areas. I had to use the climbing ability of the arisen to get out.

Also, I do really think the pawns and yourself are overpowered in the demo. I like it. I am going to preorder it.

the only annoying thing I found with the way it looked like you should explore, was in the second section when they gave you a tiny square of the map, I was crestfallen. Then I just saw the gryphon and proceeded to shoot it repeatedly with arrows and climb on it, seems to work for every boss on this silly

I dunno about the whole allies and you being overpowered thing.. Im not sure if you're too powerful as it takes a good load of hits to kill things, but I do think that maybe the characters had a lot of health, maybe even twice as much as they should have.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am

they made the demo easy so more people would buy it im pretty certain about that. serious you really need to go back and read all the controls and see how they work theres a lot more then button mashing(although that works because the demo is so easy).

has anyone managed to grab onto the harpys and control them? it was tons of fun i also managed to get the wyrm or w.e to bring me up into the air which looks really fcking cool. as for the other classes i know for a fact they exist and the mage classes have tons of cool looking magic.

i wish the demo was longer but with all the gameplay footage and now this demo i think they just dont want people to get burnt out on it or think they have already seen everything there is to see.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 am

I know there's lots of other controls and I messed around with them, but thing is on the melee or bow characters, there's almost no reason to use any of these other abilities (especially with the guy with the shield attacks, I mean seriously they do *** all). Using heavy attack instead of light attack even is useless for example as you can't combo it and it's damage per second is far lower. It works better to just attack enemies and sprint away if you need to dodge..

The only classes I think that the extra controls would be necessary for are the Mage classes, as you need to use the range of their attacks to make them effective. With a bow and arrow shooting over and over is better than doing other attacks generally (though the barrage was awesome to ambush the goblins with). It annoyed me in the demo that it didnt let you use any other characters, really pissed me off. I wanted to go out with a magic class and have some fun with it but just gave me daggers and bow over and over again :|

Yeah grabbing the harpies was fun, though by the end of it i couldn't be bothered so just jumped and slashed them as it was faster silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 pm

I just watched a video where a guy plays while it's nighttime... looks like if I get the game I'll be playing it permanently when it's the night time silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

That was kind of my plan Serious, I way almost hoping it would be like survival horror at night, constantly having to get around with stealth. I'm hoping there is some stealth in game haha.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:53 pm

^ i also saw gameplay of when its dark and thats one of the main things that i thought looked really cool. you can also tell from a lot of the gameplay they have out that the difficulty was lowered a lot for the demo.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:^ i also saw gameplay of when its dark and thats one of the main things that i thought looked really cool. you can also tell from a lot of the gameplay they have out that the difficulty was lowered a lot for the demo.

You really are desperate for the game to be harder than it is on the demo huh? You mention it a lot in this thread silly

I bet there's be a difficulty slider in it if you're all that disappointed though happy
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm

i think everyone who has been following the live streams ext of the game noticed that the demos difficulty was greatly reduced from what we have seen. i agree with the person who said they just gave us very powerful pawns.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeah, it's true that the power of the pawns was quite high, around the same level of the characters we used I thought, maybe even a little higher.

Still though, penchanting on the difficulty isn't a good idea, not like it's gonna be harder than Souls (after you've learned the controls at least) silly
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Do yourself a favor and watch the video with the British(maybe Irish) reviewer. He does play at night too. The game looks a lot harder. He even emphasizes how hard it is, and cautions you to choose your fights carefully. He dies several times just fighting random trash(non boss) mobs. I hate easy games, but this game doesn't look easy- even if the demo was way easy.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I may have watched that.. Is he the guy who gets obsessed with the Mage levitating spell?

Only reason I'm being so sceptical is because well, remember when Dark souls was released? They said only hardcore gamers would play it and that difficulty would drive people off.. It was really overdone, and I reckon the same will be for this too.

Maybe it'll be a bit of a challenge, but if you've got a load of people fighting for you all the time, I don't forsee it ever being too bad or beyond just being conservative with your character and letting pawns do your killing..

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that it's really somewhat of a tactical and management challenge coming in before you even get to the combat, yet very much decides it's outcome, though the controls of your pawns on the demo seem too basic to involve too much in battle strategy..

I'm hoping you need to utilise the team well to win, to me that will be integral to whether the game is good or great, I draw the line and set the bar there.
    XISTRiFEIX
    XISTRiFEIX
    Casual
    Casual

Post by XISTRiFEIX Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 am

After playing the demo, i find that character customization has a lot to offer and that cosplays will be quite popular as well since in the retail version you are allowed to post your pawn online for others to use in the country side quest. Game controls are good i just have to get used to pressing LB to draw out my bow and holding the button as well to use it. The attack skills and spells are amazing, can't get enough of cloudburst volley! What throws me off is the comrade command, i seriously have no freaking idea what they do when i tell them to "go!" or "come!" but their combat AI is very team cooperative. All in all it's a great game just don't rely on the pawns too much imo, it's almost like real time combat, they don't have time for everything.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:11 pm

^^^ im with this guy. im going to be tarkus with a harem of teenage warrior princesses. the preview with the british guy has multiple parts and is really good its official xbox magazine i think. im not expecting this to be dark souls or as difficult. its a different game its more of an adventure with your companions while fighting monsters type action rpg.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am