Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Forum Pirate
dancash1808
SunlightCrusader
Uparkaam
Ciledaknuf
EmoElmos
Rynn
Spurgun
DxV04
Majikero07
Motopsycho
nsane32
Jotape
FinPeku
Shkar
Federally
eninala
TehInfamousAmos
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
DoughGuy
Tolvo
sunbro
Quarik
DarkW17
befowler
skarekrow13
Yog
cloudyeki
Brokewilly
Bamjam
34 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 3 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 am

I know why Tolvo's having so much trouble getting over this cold.. Its the bug from the bed of chaos.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

Tolvo, very intelligent indeed. Well played.

DoughGuy....makes sense. I don't know if anyone gets over that bug. I mean....what the hell? That's a bed of chaos? Trees with a bug in it. Tent caterpillars are way more bad@** than that thing.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm

I think I'm 190ish. Internet was down for ~12 hours last night though, so I didn't play at all except for upgrading weapons to eventually get the Dark Soul 'cheev. I bought a couple of pikes and am getting one to divine +10 and have one at occult +5, will those make some decent offhand poking weapons? I'd prefer an estoc or something that can parry, but I never do that anyway, so...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

The moveset will be good but the only occult I tinkered with is Priscilla's dagger. I think there's something to occult because I was doing, I think, around 80 or 90 per hit to the hollow soldiers outside the Sunlight Altar. When I used it for Forest Combat I was able to do about the same, sometimes more and you'd think player characters would have better defense to that. I think I was doing around 70 to even persons in Giant's armor. I did over a hundred I think to someone using a robe set up.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

I still haven't a clue about occult vs divine. I will say that I'm starting to enjoy the greatsword class weapons. MLGS is pretty fun to catch people with the spell thing, and the GSoA is beastly when you have someone on the ropes. I finally have the equip load to actually carry either one with a sidearm.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

I kinda wanna experiment with both GSoAs since they're my favorite sword designs in the game. I'm not huge on the moveset since I like a useful R2 though. I was actually thinking of dual wielding two cursed versions thanks to your gift Eki. I'm not sure I really I gave you as good of first duel gifts. Was going for symbolic but yours was epic.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:The moveset will be good but the only occult I tinkered with is Priscilla's dagger. I think there's something to occult because I was doing, I think, around 80 or 90 per hit to the hollow soldiers outside the Sunlight Altar. When I used it for Forest Combat I was able to do about the same, sometimes more and you'd think player characters would have better defense to that. I think I was doing around 70 to even persons in Giant's armor. I did over a hundred I think to someone using a robe set up.

Yeah - I have been experimenting with occult weapons quite a bit during invasions. The unproven rumor is that occult does additional damage (bonus dam ????) against hosts and their minions. Not sure of this though - the main reason I like occult is the decent scaling with faith. I have multiple occult weapons (partizan, BSS, rapier, shotel, etc) so I always try to use one to see the affects on my opponents. Has anyone obtained concrete data on the occult damage bonus to living things (i.e human hosts, white/yellow phantoms)?

So Skare - did it appear you were receiving a damage bonus when you used the occult P. dagger against campers in the forest? It appears you were doing more against hosts/phantoms than you were against undead enemies which would be logical. Duel wielding cursed GSoAs - my goodness now that would be something? I don't really care much for the GSoA either (I do carry it with me when I invade just in case) but it is one of my hardest hitting weapons though. Yeah - the R2 is terrible I guess they had to nerf the weapon in some way to keep things balanced.

Quarik - please share your data in regards to the pike. I have been thinking of trying it out but the weight of the weapon is my only issue. Is the moveset similiar to other spear type weapons?
    Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Yog Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I have a maxed out occult uchi and a maxed out divine uchi. I'll try them both on the same phantom when I get home from work and report back. Although I won't get home till 11pm est.
    Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Yog Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh and Quarik I believe my 162 can meet up with your 190 with the RSS. I can only host the kiln right now though. So I'll go beat the tar out of Gwy, then I'll be able to host anywhere. Also, let me know if you need any boss souls for the Knight's Honor achievement. I have a spare of every one except Ornstien and I'd be happy to let you have them.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Broke- Not really. Apart from the partizan, it's fairly unique. Running r2 is a strange multi-hit charging attack that could work really well on a narrow bridge, especially for low poise enemies. Not very familiar with the rest of its moveset though, haven't used it against a player yet. I'll test bs damage tonight.

I guess parrying is just an acquired skill, I'll work on that. Problem I have with chain bsing and avoiding them is that against 2 players you have to roll away the moment you finish your grab animation, and either the lag will catch you (I had 3-5 seconds of it last night before the net died, was really difficult) with another bs or you get WoG on wakeup.

Speaking of wakeup attacks, try chaos pyromancies. I always toss a GCF about .5 seconds after the animation ends, that usually hits and staggers. Not enough time for a aoe unless the enemy is caught in a corner or something. I'm considering checking out Chaos Fire Whip, it seems like it'd work really well, if you've killed all but one enemy.

Yog- I'll start a thread in the trading/player help subsection on the souls and duelling.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Glad you liked the gift skare. I had made the cursed version thinking it would help with the ghosts so I wouldn't need to use transient curses. It's damage was a bit underwhelming and I had a second Sif soul so I made the divine version.

Funny thing, I wasn't planning on even touching the divine version after killing Nito, but then I found that my stats are better for GSoA vs MLGS
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Broke....It seemed like it was better off against humans. I've probably convinced myself to try the dual wield. Maybe between late Easter pranks. If you ever need your sword back Eki let me know. Assumed it was a spare

cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 pm

It's fine. I've my divine blade for when the time comes to act as Hakumen. Sometimes I wish I could talk to the people I invade, just so I can make obscure or lame anime quotes.

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Instead of gestures......you could record voice overs for your character
    Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Yog Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 am

with 50 faith and 50 dex my occult uchi did 150 while my divine uchi did 154 to the same host. The stat screen listed the damage potential at 493 for occult and 492 for divine.

Result : Occult lists 1 point higher, divine actually did 4 more points of damage.

Conclusion : Occult does slightly more physical damage while Divine does slightly more magic damage. The difference in the hosts ability to resist those two types of damage gives a very slight edge to one or the other. The difference is to minimal to care about.

If you ask me go with the normal upgrade tree and use SLB or CMW...
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:07 am

Yog wrote:with 50 faith and 50 dex my occult uchi did 150 while my divine uchi did 154 to the same host. The stat screen listed the damage potential at 493 for occult and 492 for divine.

Result : Occult lists 1 point higher, divine actually did 4 more points of damage.

Conclusion : Occult does slightly more physical damage while Divine does slightly more magic damage. The difference in the hosts ability to resist those two types of damage gives a very slight edge to one or the other. The difference is to minimal to care about.

If you ask me go with the normal upgrade tree and use SLB or CMW...

@Yog - thanks for testing. I saw where another member of the forum had done similiar testing and came up with the comparable results. The damage from occult and divine will highly depend upon your opponents resist stats.

@Quarik - you are the man!! I started to play around with the pike (I made an enchanted version) and I really like this weapon. It feels solid like a C. Trident or DSS and the reach is incredible plus you can poke with your shield raised. The running R1 attack is crazy - if you get the spacing and timing right that move is a great surprise attack (because most opponents may think you are going for a BS) or stand-off attack(getting hit once by the attack will probably make your opponent back-up a bit). The primary bonus to running 1H attack is you don't have to get too close to your opponent since optimum damage is inflicted when you attain maximum extension of the pike for a solid double hit. In my testing so far - it appears even if you miss you still have a chance to not get punished since the attack may take you right by (just continue the momentum of the attack by either rolling or flipping) your opponent. This is not to say you can't still get BS'd - I'm just saying you may have an "out" if you miss. I just want to determine whether the double hit can break poise. Hopefully the momentum from running will add to the impact of the thrust. I'm really going to play around with this thing to see if I can master the weapon. Now all I have to do is raise my END by a couple of points and I will be good to go.

I will let everyone know how the pike works out under battle conditions. Hopefully, I will be able to provide some useful information to add to Quarik's existing knowledge of the weapon.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:51 am

I'm going to do some more testing tonight, but I know for a fact that one of the running attacks has a lot more than 2 hits. Once you initiate the attack, everything up to when you stop is a constant barrage of hits, hence it being fantastic in an area where an enemy can't sidestep it.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am

I am PISSED :x !!! I just experienced the ultimate gank. I don't care if I get kicked off this forum or not but I am posting this whole vid with names - all over this forum and everywhere else. If any of the allies of Alvina run across any of these fools - I will pay in real dead presidents, slabs,trinkets, whatever the freaking price!! The sad thing is a hunter was complicit in this action - all three are now enemies for life. There excuse was they were doing some trading and did not want me to interfere - all they had to do was PM a hunter and I would have BC'd out. Like the name of the video says I want everyone of these fools hounded and killed til the end of time!!

https://youtu.be/XctLMA8T3A4

Y'all can cuss me out later but right now I want vengeance!!! Gankers pay the freaking price!!

Yog
    Yog
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Yog Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Why the hell would you trade in the forest? They made that up for sure. I'll add them to my book of the guilty. Take heart though, in order to resort to such base tactics they must have had the crap pounded out of them a whole hell of a lot. Not a huge consolation I know, but they'll get theirs again and again and again. Sinners pay the price in Alvina's forest!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 pm

anyone tried using the pikes rolling attacks? (one handed and two handed) they seem really strong and have nice reach... also i've seen amazing things done with a slb pike or dmb pike...
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 pm

I love the DSB. A ganking pair chased me through Alvina's house all the way to the bearcat area and across the bridge. I slide down the ladder and his gold bud jumps off to follow me and lands in the river. I heal at the wooden bridge and see that the host is hidden behind the tower thing and he casts TWoP. I just casually take out the bow and plug him as he comes around the bend and he bounces right into the river.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Broke- I've fought those guys many times, but wow... if they were actually trading, they're STUPID for doing it in the forest, and if they weren't... WTF HUNTER! WHY U SUCH A JERK?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Is it wrong that I play with my prey? Sometimes like just a lil bit ago I'll just dodge the host and just tap the host with my sword whenever I feel like it. I spent like 10 minutes playing around with a host dodging his MLGS and his CSS and CHSM and not even doing that much damage to him but he'd still flask. It went on till he was using divine blessings and I started to feel kinda bad for him. We didn't bow, but he was solo.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 pm

New rule to hunting. Dont try to play while running to answer a phone and wearing sandals. You might win the fight with an accidental hit but you might just kill yourself in the process.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Cloud, spite the odds!

I remember once I went to take a leak with one hand, and with the other just kept pressing R1 with the GLGS equipped, came back, Target Destroyed! I didn't even see another invader, and two phantoms were standing next to me trying to BS fish me. You never know how you can win a fight!

And yes, I kept my PS3 hand away from my woodle, and washed my other hand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 am