Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Rynoa
Zechk
WarriorOfSunlight
DoughGuy
bloodpixel
Extertionist
Tolvo
Darkson
Serious_Much
sinisterapathy
skarekrow13
JY4answer
16 posters

Culture misconceptions

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Culture misconceptions  - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture misconceptions

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Every once in a while we still see public gatherings and protests of things from groups like the KKK. My favorite ones in the U.S. though are the ones with some radical church that literally organize groups of protestors to heckle people and cause a scene at funerals of persons who died in military action. The punchline? They're not protesting the war. They're protesting *** rights. They claim that the soldiers who are killed died because it's God's way of punishing our country for it's liberal views on (insert hateful word about *** person here). There was one they publicized around my area that they were gonna do a big protest on. There was a counter push from some local biker gangs that publicized how heavily they would be attending the event. I don't believe anyone from the church showed up.

On a sidenote, most guys I know in biker gangs are pretty decent fellas.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Skare, let's just say the people behind that church are actually really really smart. Their leader is well versed in law, and lets just say everytime they appear, and someone interrupts their "Peaceful" protest, they sue the state and get a lot of money. So actually, be breaking up their gatherings people support them, they're kind of unbeatable unless people literally just turn a blind eye to them. It is one of the greatest schemes I've ever seen.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Agreed. I never doubted their intelligence. They're just a-holes. Unfortunately there's a lot of clever people who could use some ethics, common sense, empathy or.....noting the heading on top of the forum......humanity. Just like the item description says, they haven't found a use for it in this life.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Extertionist wrote:
    I am from Colorado and I may say this from lack of experience, but I have not met very many smart people who were born from these bible belt states, but I also haven't met to many and people who've come from these states like Santorum and Bush don't help my opinion of them at all. The bible belt consists of the southern states of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida.

Rick Santorum is from Virgina.

Bill Clinton is from Arkansas and im not ashamed of it.

Condoleezza Rice and Karl Rove are both from Colorado. lol! In yo face!! hah

@ Serious: England has a bit of a rep for this too. Also i consider "average" intelligence to be...disappointing. Im not just speaking of my fellow Americans either. I believe i stated that im a cynic as well.

Wasnt there a guy...what was it? Tony Blair? Our dumbest presidents lap dog. tongue j/k...kinda.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Since this seems to be the place to talk about dumb moves/characteristics of our cultures and areas I want to point out that in no way do our leaders in the U.S. embarrass themselves or their country, and always act in a manner that speaks of our classy and refined manners.

Proof
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 pm

sinisterapathy wrote:
    Extertionist wrote:
    I am from Colorado and I may say this from lack of experience, but I have not met very many smart people who were born from these bible belt states, but I also haven't met to many and people who've come from these states like Santorum and Bush don't help my opinion of them at all. The bible belt consists of the southern states of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida.

Rick Santorum is from Virgina.

Bill Clinton is from Arkansas and im not ashamed of it.

Condoleezza Rice and Karl Rove are both from Colorado. lol! In yo face!! hah

@ Serious: England has a bit of a rep for this too. Also i consider "average" intelligence to be...disappointing. Im not just speaking of my fellow Americans either. I believe i stated that im a cynic as well.

Wasnt there a guy...what was it? Tony Blair? Our dumbest presidents lap dog. tongue j/k...kinda.
    His foreign policy may have been idiotic, but for home policy he introduced the minimum wage and raised living standards for the poorest 20%. So he wasn't all bad.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:04 pm

sinisterapathy wrote:

England has rep for what? bible bashing or unintelligent folk? silly

But even if you were joking it doesn't change the fact he was bush's little *****. Was pretty pathetic really.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 am

Serious_Much wrote:The one thing I hate is the AWFUL british accents that are used in films. We do not sound like that. Maybe we did 70 years ago when a certain man foretold that "we shall fight on the beaches", but noone sounds like that today lol!

This. Oh so very much this.

Also play nice. I shall lock this in a second if people start getting cross with one another.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:10 am

Zechk wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:The one thing I hate is the AWFUL british accents that are used in films. We do not sound like that. Maybe we did 70 years ago when a certain man foretold that "we shall fight on the beaches", but noone sounds like that today lol!

This. Oh so very much this.

Also play nice. I shall lock this in a second if people start getting cross with one another.

LOL
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:47 am

Well that's not helpful is it silly I'm only messing about in the other thread.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 am

Did I mention that I really like the UK's taste of comedy? QI and Mock the Week are the shows that have brought me the most joy and education. Stephen Fry and Dara O'Briain are my heros. Too bad the guy uploading them onto youtube stopped doing it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:47 am

JY4answer wrote:Did I mention that I really like the UK's taste of comedy? QI and Mock the Week are the shows that have brought me the most joy and education. Stephen Fry and Dara O'Briain are my heros. Too bad the guy uploading them onto youtube stopped doing it.

Well I think Britain has gotta be famous for it's panel shows. They are the funniest thing ever in my view silly

I love mock the week and QI, but I really enjoy Would i lie to you and Buzzcocks as well
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 am

I almost died a few times choking watching QI. I must say you guys have some of the best comedians. The fact that the entire audience can always comprehend with the witty jokes also says something.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

Uhm, guys, italian here!
    Let's not talk about embarassing leaders please big grin
    A part from that, uhm.. pizza, mafia, mandolino... you know them big grin

And believe me, our cuisine isn't portrayed very faithfully either. Of course we eat pasta and pizza but they are different from whatever I happened to taste abroad.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 am

Rynoa wrote:Uhm, guys, italian here!

And believe me, our cuisine isn't portrayed very faithfully either. Of course we eat pasta and pizza but they are different from whatever I happened to taste abroad.

Believe me, I know. When I went to Rome and had the true Italian versions of foods I had back in England I couldn't believe it. Italian food is by far my favourite world cuisine.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 am

I once watched a cooking show that explained thoroughly to me why my spaghetti and meat balls (red sauce) that I love so much would get me laughed at in Italy......

If that's true then I don't know if I believe in French toast anymore either
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:43 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    Rynoa wrote:Uhm, guys, italian here!

Believe me, I know. When I went to Rome and had the true Italian versions of foods I had back in England I couldn't believe it. Italian food is by far my favourite world cuisine.

I love you cheers

@Skare - I always wondered why spaghetti and meat balls is so famous abroad, as it isn't very common here, and not one of my favourite anyway, there's so much better...
    Now I'm hungry, damn...

About France... when I was in Paris I DID eat baguettes and chicken and onion soup and croissant and crepes... lol!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:51 am

In my area at least it's popular because everything with more meat has to be better. For instance, in Rochester, NY at many restaurants if you ask for "hot sauce" on your food it's actually a pile of ground beef with hot sauce and butter mixed together.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:57 am

Ahahaha really?
    Mh, what about pancakes? I've got a friend bringin' me those pancakes mix from USA, do normal people cook them like that or homemade? :shock:
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am

To be honest, the mixes can come out just as good as homemade since they're pretty much the same ingredients, just pre-measured for you. The same goes for cake mixes here. To make them excel you just need a few tricks. For either, if you want fluffier variants use a blender or whip the batter really hard to get air into them. Watch out on pancakes though as fluffy ones can lead to syrup absorption and soggy, less flavorful pancakes. I like to add a little bit of flavored coffee creamer to my pancake mix as it adds flavor and better texture. For cakes I substitute apple sauce for oil. I know at least in the U.S. we're pretty spoiled with some of our boxed items as they're actually quite good if you know how to use them. The only exception might be not so typical pancakes like griddle cakes, potato pancakes and buckwheat pancakes. I don't think the mixes are as good for those.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am

Rynoa wrote:Ahahaha really?
    Mh, what about pancakes? I've got a friend bringin' me those pancakes mix from USA, do normal people cook them like that or homemade? :shock:

Most people use the mix..bisquick is the most popular brand i think...but it doesnt really matter.

So you guys dont have pancakes?:affraid: Add afew drops of vanilla to yer mix its quite good...though pancakes are awesome anyways.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am

I went to an ihop in LA once. I ordered a steak omelette (An Oom-nom-nom-lette if you will) and what arrived is best described as all the delicious parts of a cow wrapped in a thousand eggs and with a massive dollop of sour creame on top. It was about two feet long and came with a free side order of pancakes which was so massive I could not possibly have eaten it all without the omelette, let alone with. I discovered that it's entierly possible to eat enough in one sitting that you do not wish to eat again that day AND a love for american style pancakes. And I still only ate about half of it.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 am

Only a mountain of carbs, sugar and butter, served with your chioce of eggs, bacon, sausage, and now steak!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 am

That's absolutely the American way. No misconception there. Subs are popular for the same reason. They go by different names all over but basically a big sandwich. A "small" near where I live (other areas can be different) is always the equivalent of half a loaf of bread piled with meat, cheese and some lettuce/tomato/onion to make it seem like you're eating a balanced meal. Although it's always iceberg lettuce or as I call it "crunchy green water." I usually get the large which is twice the size.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:47 am

Zechk wrote:I went to an ihop in LA once. I ordered a steak omelette (An Oom-nom-nom-lette if you will) and what arrived is best described as all the delicious parts of a cow wrapped in a thousand eggs and with a massive dollop of sour creame on top. It was about two feet long and came with a free side order of pancakes which was so massive I could not possibly have eaten it all without the omelette, let alone with. I discovered that it's entierly possible to eat enough in one sitting that you do not wish to eat again that day AND a love for american style pancakes. And I still only ate about half of it.

...What you guys dont have omelettes? 🇳🇴 Add cheddar and they are even better! Or perhaps your omelettes are just...different...from ours.

Im glad you like our pancakes cheers

also "Oom-nom-nom-lette" lol wut? lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content