Giving up on PVP

    Share

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 am

    I think I'm officially done trying to play PVP. I thought it was just lack of experience, but I swear, I get slaughtered ever time. I burned through about 15 humanities last night, and Blue orbed into another 15, and I think I won 1 total.

    Overall, I've probably 'won' 1 out of every 20 PVP's. And 99% of them end in me having a challenger in front of me, then suddenly behind me pulling his weapon from my back. I've completed this game 4 times, including NG, yet I get owned in PVP like it's my first day. I hate to place blame, but I am on a wireless connection. Is the lag truly that bad compared to a hard wired connection, resulting in such a disadvantage? Or do I truly just suck that badly?

    avatar
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1125
    Reputation : 32
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 37
    Location : Belgium,Antwerpen

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by GrEeNgObLiN on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am

    U should join FC and get better! We teach you there so one day you can go back and kick all the invaders!


    _________________
    PSN:GrEeNgObLiN
    Say who you are before adding me.
    FC PSN 225 Heavy Edition Organizer
    Dark Souls addicted...I love our Fight Club!!!
    Fight Club Level 120 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t3178-fight-club-sl120-psn
    Fight Club Level 225 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t1472-fight-club-sl225-psn

    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:39 am

    Your wireless connection might be the issue, lag in this game can definitely be the difference between life and death. I'd say there is a bit of skill issue in there honestly, but it's because you haven't gotten to properly experience PvP and just run into BS fishers who take advantage of the lag. As Gob said FC is a great option, in there BS isn't allowed, as well people love to do spars and practice duels to help eachother.
    avatar
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1466
    Reputation : 46
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 37
    Location : Dominican Republic

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Yesuurd on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:46 am

    Join FC we will help and you won't loose humanities, if you loose em we will fetch in and give you some if possible and also don't give up so easily.

    Ask anyone who fights well or is excellent, how many times did they die at first and the difference is they kept going and growing so if you want to get good at this you have to
    overcome the obstacles.


    _________________
    Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
    Add me for joining our Fight Clubs
    PSN=yesuurd
    FC for life!!!

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 am

    So my latest character is lv64 (faith). I also have a 90 Intelligence. I've read about the FC, but how do I get involved?
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 am

    Well you'd have to be SL120, but some of use have lower levels toons as well. I have a toon who is on his way to being your level, so I could help you out on him as soon as he's ready.
    avatar
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1466
    Reputation : 46
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 37
    Location : Dominican Republic

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Yesuurd on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

    If you need to spar I have low lvl toons also but I really recommend you don't give up and keep on, also if you can join DM or DW that way you won't loose humanities, that would let you practice more without the burden of loosing stuff which can be very disappointing.


    _________________
    Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
    Add me for joining our Fight Clubs
    PSN=yesuurd
    FC for life!!!
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by RANT on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am

    i hate to sayy it but you should join dm covenenat and invade in the kiln while hollow, that way you wont lose anything and you get some experience, there is a lot of people that all they do backstab, look up videos on youtube and how to counter those tactics.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:07 am

    All my characters have been DM, mainly because I HATE the red invaders. I'm just getting really frustrated, I often don't get a single hit in before I'm dead via backstab. I've probably had less than 10% of fights result in a non-backstab, it seems to be the only thing anyone is capable of doing, and I've yet to ever backstab in PVP. Even when I am hitting someone, it appear on my screen that I'm NOT making contact. Which is leading me to believe more and more it's from lag, as much as I HATE to use an excuse.
    avatar
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1466
    Reputation : 46
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 37
    Location : Dominican Republic

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Yesuurd on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am

    Ironliftr3 wrote:All my characters have been DM, mainly because I HATE the red invaders. I'm just getting really frustrated, I often don't get a single hit in before I'm dead via backstab. I've probably had less than 10% of fights result in a non-backstab, it seems to be the only thing anyone is capable of doing, and I've yet to ever backstab in PVP. Even when I am hitting someone, it appear on my screen that I'm NOT making contact. Which is leading me to believe more and more it's from lag, as much as I HATE to use an excuse.

    We all get Lag so it's something real and not an excuse but there are ways to counter BS, add me on psn and we can practice whenever you want.


    _________________
    Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
    Add me for joining our Fight Clubs
    PSN=yesuurd
    FC for life!!!

    plok

    Posts : 8
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-04-11

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by plok on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:47 am

    Backstabs are really painfully tough to counter at times but the most common thing I do when they fish for it is to move in the same direction they do and try to angle my character so that it kinda is at their back (weird when there is so much lag) and then hit attack (R1) when they get the backstab. Sometimes you'll get the animation that they stab you but no damage appears and they slowly move away, I think they see the same (you backstab them instead and get no damage), when this happens and is kinda like a reset or if you are lucky you stab them instead. I'm no back stab expert lol but just trying to share from my expereince.

    You might want to join the forest covenant I see there are lots of members here in that covenant. there are lots of invasions in the forest too so you might check it out but its anything goes in the forest so prepare for the worst lol.
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by RANT on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 am

    plok wrote:Backstabs are really painfully tough to counter at times but the most common thing I do when they fish for it is to move in the same direction they do and try to angle my character so that it kinda is at their back (weird when there is so much lag) and then hit attack (R1) when they get the backstab. Sometimes you'll get the animation that they stab you but no damage appears and they slowly move away, I think they see the same (you backstab them instead and get no damage), when this happens and is kinda like a reset or if you are lucky you stab them instead. I'm no back stab expert lol but just trying to share from my expereince.

    You might want to join the forest covenant I see there are lots of members here in that covenant. there are lots of invasions in the forest too so you might check it out but its anything goes in the forest so prepare for the worst lol.

    dude he said he has a hard time dealing with someone bs'ing him and you send him to the forest where he'll have three people trying to bs at the same time? lol hes better off invading while hollow in the kiln, every once in a while he'll get a no bs match.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 pm

    No no no, don't start in the forest. Trust me, that's a very bad idea. That is an area where as an invader you'll often fight groups of 2-3 people who use every cheap trick in the book. Kiln, Painted World, and if you can get to the level Btown winking are easier areas to ease into PvP.

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm

    plok wrote: Sometimes you'll get the animation that they stab you but no damage appears and they slowly move away,

    I had this happen a couple times today in the Tomb of Giants for the first time. Thought I was seeing things, or had a 'divine blessing' of some sort keeping me alive...lol
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:06 pm

    That is a glitch which is better left unexplained as of how to do it.

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 pm

    Tolvo wrote:No no no, don't start in the forest. Trust me, that's a very bad idea. That is an area where as an invader you'll often fight groups of 2-3 people who use every cheap trick in the book. Kiln, Painted World, and if you can get to the level Btown winking are easier areas to ease into PvP.

    Yeah, I got owned in the forest more than a few times last night. Thought it would be good experience with some quick invasions, plus I wanted to summon to kill Sif. Eventually managed to make it to Sif without getting gang raped.
    avatar
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1466
    Reputation : 46
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 37
    Location : Dominican Republic

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Yesuurd on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 pm

    Ironliftr3 wrote:
    plok wrote: Sometimes you'll get the animation that they stab you but no damage appears and they slowly move away,

    I had this happen a couple times today in the Tomb of Giants for the first time. Thought I was seeing things, or had a 'divine blessing' of some sort keeping me alive...lol

    The only place you will not be BS'ed is FC, but that is not a solution it is a safe haven.You have to aknowledge that this game has BS and you need to train against them, if you do then you will be able to enjoy not only FC but normal pvp.


    _________________
    Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
    Add me for joining our Fight Clubs
    PSN=yesuurd
    FC for life!!!

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

    So, my current build is a light, faith character, sl64. My main weapons are a Fire Claymore, and Lightning Halberd. I inquired yesterday about the buffs. Is my level too low to benefit from the scaling? If I'm going to leave a weapon non-elemental and use buffs, what's a good weapon to upgrade to +15 for PVP?
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 pm

    Well taking into account DMB or SLB, you can make any weapon hit fairly hard. What are your exact stats for Str, Dex, and Faith?
    avatar
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1466
    Reputation : 46
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 37
    Location : Dominican Republic

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Yesuurd on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 pm

    Ironliftr3 wrote:So, my current build is a light, faith character, sl64. My main weapons are a Fire Claymore, and Lightning Halberd. I inquired yesterday about the buffs. Is my level too low to benefit from the scaling? If I'm going to leave a weapon non-elemental and use buffs, what's a good weapon to upgrade to +15 for PVP?

    Can you post your stats? at that level I am almost sure elemental is the way to go though.


    _________________
    Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
    Add me for joining our Fight Clubs
    PSN=yesuurd
    FC for life!!!

    plok

    Posts : 8
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-04-11

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by plok on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

    RantFromRant wrote:
    plok wrote:Backstabs are really painfully tough to counter at times but the most common thing I do when they fish for it is to move in the same direction they do and try to angle my character so that it kinda is at their back (weird when there is so much lag) and then hit attack (R1) when they get the backstab. Sometimes you'll get the animation that they stab you but no damage appears and they slowly move away, I think they see the same (you backstab them instead and get no damage), when this happens and is kinda like a reset or if you are lucky you stab them instead. I'm no back stab expert lol but just trying to share from my expereince.

    You might want to join the forest covenant I see there are lots of members here in that covenant. there are lots of invasions in the forest too so you might check it out but its anything goes in the forest so prepare for the worst lol.

    dude he said he has a hard time dealing with someone bs'ing him and you send him to the forest where he'll have three people trying to bs at the same time? lol hes better off invading while hollow in the kiln, every once in a while he'll get a no bs match.

    ow yeah might be a bad idea but he'll get more experience from there cause of the none ending invasions. albeit you may be right hell get a lot more frustrated. So yeah jump into the Kiln! baptismal by fire. my bad =]
    avatar
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 232
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-14
    Age : 30
    Location : Darkroot forest

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Bamjam on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

    Damn i just typed a whole essay and somehow it didnt post it sad.

    But i wanted to say, some people here say dont start pvp in the forest, but i say DO start there.
    I noticed that from my forest hunting 1v2-3 fights i became a much better player and when i start doing some 1v1 it just seems like a walk in the park most of the time. Ofcoure there are always better players out there but thats with every game. I started to host some in dark anor londo a few days ago and i was surprised at how much better i was than a few months ago(before i started hunting).
    Also i usualy dont bs people cuz i love to have a good fair fight, and by fighting this way i made alot of new xbox buddys to duel with happy.

    Ironliftr3
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-27
    Age : 47
    Location : Atlanta

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Ironliftr3 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:33 pm

    I'd have to double check, but I believe my strength and dexterity are both 20 (enough to use the Dragonslayer Great Bow) and my Faith is 24 (enough to use the Great Heal)
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 pm

    I merely meant don't start there because that is the biggest trial by fire. I also wouldn't say it sets you up for duelling, I'm actually a pretty good example of this. I'm very experienced in the forest, but 1v1 I suck quite a bit, Yesuurd can vouch for that haha. Now I know I'm using personal experience which is subjective, but I will say to most players it is incredibly intimidating and frustrating to start out in the forest, more so than other kinds of PvP. Maybe Gravelording is the only one that I can think of that has a worse start.

    EDIT: You'll want to go with elementals then, you don't have any stat high enough to really make a difference with scaling. As well you can't use any of the heavy damage buffs.
    avatar
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 232
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-14
    Age : 30
    Location : Darkroot forest

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Bamjam on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:41 pm

    Tolvo- Yes i agree that its pretty intimidating in the start, i got owned hard alot, but after a while you get good skills from this and i think you get those skills faster when you face a really big challange.

    Its the same with kids that need to learn swimming, if you let em stay in the kiddo pond they never learn but if you kick them in the deep they have to learn it or drown lol!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Giving up on PVP

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:47 am