Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
callipygias
Yukon
Saturnine Knight
Serious_Much
Sebastrd
Buggy Virus
bloodpixel
11 posters

I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls...

bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls... Empty I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls...

Post by bloodpixel Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 pm

You see, the key in dark souls is not to grind for hours on end. The key is to, you know, actually be careful and pay attention to what you are doing and where you are going.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls... Empty Re: I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls...

Post by Buggy Virus Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Umm yeah.

I was flabberghasted when people told me that they would casually get up to level 125 in dark souls. On my first blind play through I never farmed and so only got to around level 50 before beating it, and I wouldn't have known what to do with the higher stats had I been able to buy more stats.
    Sebastrd
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls... Empty Re: I don't think some people are getting the concept of Dark Souls...

Post by Sebastrd Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

So, wait, you're telling me we're all supposed to play this game the "One True Way"? Who knew?

::heads off to farm::
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Sebastrd wrote:So, wait, you're telling me we're all supposed to play this game the "One True Way"? Who knew?

::heads off to farm::
    I'm not trying to make people play one way, and I never will do that. It's just annoying to hear people say "I grinded for hours and I can't beat this area/boss!"
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm

It's different when the reason you die is sloppiness when the boss has no health left, or you get blindsided by an attack outta nowhere (Nito's back end of the arena is really fun on your first run big grin)
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Serious_Much wrote:It's different when the reason you die is sloppiness when the boss has no health left, or you get blindsided by an attack outta nowhere (Nito's back end of the arena is really fun on your first run big grin)
    Nito caught me good the first time. But not the second, fortunately.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah, after my first couple of deaths I stuck to the route that worked for the 4 kings on me, heavy armour and tank the **** outta him with an MLGS, job done silly
    Saturnine Knight
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Saturnine Knight Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 pm

I have to be careful. I play low level only, so any hits on me are potentially death shots. It's taken time, but it's worth it.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 pm

I don't think this game every made me go "Wow, I died! I need to go level up!"
    Instead it was like "Wow, *** I meant to roll to the left but I rolled into that attack... 2 times. No wonder I died.. Well lets try again!"

One thing I like about this game is you are never restricted by your level, instead its by how you play.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 pm

There really isn't a good reason to be a super high level in PvE. If you need a ton of health on the first play through to take a bunch of hits before you need to heal then you probably aren't fighting the bosses correctly.

*Thoughts of a lvl 1 purist*
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, but for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would care if other players like to level up or not.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 am

callipygias wrote:I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, but for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would care if other players like to level up or not.
    I don't think I'm making myself clear. I don't care if people level, it's just that I don't like people who grind and complain that they can't beat the bosses, even though they grinded. I'm trying to say that grinding isn't everything.
    Sebastrd
    Sebastrd
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sebastrd Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:33 am

I only grind for titanite to upgrade my gear. It's just that afterward I have a bunch of souls left over and nothing to do with them.

Also, I'm kind of going with a kitchen sink build for my first character. I already know my second will be much more focused.
    RaSoul
    RaSoul
    Regular
    Regular

Post by RaSoul Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:57 am

This is precisely why I like Dark Souls, you dont have to grind for ages in order to level up for further progress.

This is about tactics and caution, and when you die you learn one new thing, and the next time you learn another thing. I can see where you are going with this Bloodpixel, and I think people are grinding because in almost every game it is required.. #Edit# and you get ressources to boost your armor and weapons, so why not...
    Gotta admit, I tend to grind once in a while too, havent played WoW for about six years, so I have a lot of grinding to do winking
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:29 am

I spent my souls as often as I could and upgraded my weapons as often as I could on my first full play through. I finished the game at lvl 85. However, I farmed the Black Knights in the Kiln for at least 10 levels because I knew that going into NG+ was going to be a ***** and I wanted some SLs in the bank.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:39 am

bloodpixel wrote:You see, the key in dark souls is not to grind for hours on end. The key is to, you know, actually be careful and pay attention to what you are doing and where you are going.

is that the key to playing dks or just one method? i always thought that one of the best features of the game is the ability to tackle obstacles using different methods.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 am

The complaint I hate most is when someone says 'yeah, it's good, but it's all grinding'.

If you're constantly grinding for levels you aren't doing something right
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

djgq42 wrote:
    bloodpixel wrote:You see, the key in dark souls is not to grind for hours on end. The key is to, you know, actually be careful and pay attention to what you are doing and where you are going.

is that the key to playing dks or just one method? i always thought that one of the best features of the game is the ability to tackle obstacles using different methods.
    I said this one thousand times, I'm not trying to tell anyone to do something one way. I'm getting annoyed that people think grinding is everything.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 pm