Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
djgq42
Maneater_Mildred
THEGOLIATH
Uparkaam
somebody_else
Pargar-theGreat
Pharaun
Halicarnassis
shadowsoldiers
Eliteknight
Katakato
mpaschke
aRustySlot
ZeGlobox
russiannightmare
belkaizer
Soulkrazy
Comodreha
GrEeNgObLiN
kennereth
JBeast
strangejoy
DxV04
justwant2play
Cloudrunner
k0rruptid
Scudman_Slayer
Godless Servant
ChizFreak
Serious_Much
Toastfacekillah
aceluby
Carphil
theAnimus
38 posters

PvP Honor - An Intelligent Discussion

theAnimus
    theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

PvP Honor - An Intelligent Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: PvP Honor - An Intelligent Discussion

Post by theAnimus Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Eliteknight wrote:I invade to have fun with random(ish) pvp. Dark Souls is great because its all about challenging yourself, the darkmoon blades let me be a part of that challenge for someone else, it should be fun. Force pushing people off the ledges in crystal caves would be easy, where is the fun in that?

You serious? Where's the fun in denying yourself some guilty pleasure?

The whole idea that in order to have fun in PvP the fight needs to be as close to even as possible, both players evenly skilled and matched, is flawed. I'm not denying that some prefer that type of fight over others, but acting like causing others frustration isn't a huge aspect of the game, and is somehow a less valid form of encounter, is (once again) denying yourself an experience.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

PvP Honor - An Intelligent Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: PvP Honor - An Intelligent Discussion

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Animus, if I had any vote ups left you'd get one for that post silly
    Eliteknight
    Eliteknight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eliteknight Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 pm

theAnimus wrote:
    Eliteknight wrote:I invade to have fun with random(ish) pvp. Dark Souls is great because its all about challenging yourself, the darkmoon blades let me be a part of that challenge for someone else, it should be fun. Force pushing people off the ledges in crystal caves would be easy, where is the fun in that?

The whole idea that in order to have fun in PvP the fight needs to be as close to even as possible, both players evenly skilled and matched, is flawed. I'm not denying that some prefer that type of fight over others, but acting like causing others frustration isn't a huge aspect of the game, and is somehow a less valid form of encounter, is (once again) denying yourself an experience.

I didn't say any other way of playing was less valid(or didn't mean to) I just prefer it my way.

You serious? Where's the fun in denying yourself some guilty pleasure?

Guilty? Me? I'm perfectly innocent thank you.

You however.......come here to confess to something? twisted

*Casts darkmoon blade buff*
    k0rruptid
    k0rruptid
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by k0rruptid Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Scudman_Slayer wrote:
    theAnimus wrote:
    Eliteknight wrote:If anyone invades either of those places (especially tomb of the giants) then lets face it, they are just being a dick.

Isn't that the entire point of invading? To make the other guy's day miserable? I mean, this is the reason why it's not voluntary (besides being human), why there are indictments, and why you aren't allowed to quit.

i understand it but invading on tomb of giants...WHY THERE?! OF ALL PLACES?! if you ask me the place is already bad enough due to the fact that oyu can't see a damn thing without the stuff that allow you to and htose skeledogs *shivers*

when invading there i just wear the sunlight maggot. havent invaded as a red there but speed ran it there on my level 70 darkmoon to see if many guilty players were there, so many guilty people in tomb of giants.

actually had 1 guy waiting for pvp in tomb of giants, in the dark roo, which you can see nothing in and barely lock on at all. he owned me a few times.

probably the most fun place to invade. simply because its like the worst/hardest level
    theAnimus
    theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by theAnimus Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Eliteknight wrote:Guilty? Me? I'm perfectly innocent thank you.

You however.......come here to confess to something? twisted

*Casts darkmoon blade buff*

I'm not here to confess, I think I've already made my stance abundantly clear. Hit me with your best shot, DARKMOON! :evil:

k0rruptid wrote:probably the most fun place to invade. simply because its like the worst/hardest level

Now that's the spirit! I've never gotten much invasions on my Darkmoon, but I've never tried ToG on him either... Now I have a new endeavor!
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 pm

i feel like if i'm human everyone needs to bow to me first. I only respond to a bow, but if i'm invading and its one on one i always bow
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I've done some dirty invasions in ToG... LOT'S of hatemail that day.

On the other hand I find Duke's to be a great place for PvP, especially as a DW who hasn't defeated Seath. You'll invade and get invaded by the bonfire all day long.
    Godless Servant
    Godless Servant
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Godless Servant Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:55 pm

theAnimus wrote:
    Godless Servant wrote:Fact of the matter is that until the lag issues are resolved pvp is broken, I sometimes enjoy the pvp in this game but when I get hit with a spell when on my screen it was nowhere near me or a lag pivot back stab my frustration goes through the roof.

This isn't true at all, (PvP being broken) and is more of a symptom of personal issues as well as not being able to adapt and overcome. If you're lagging that bad, it's your connection, and if you can't avoid pivot back stabs, you should reconsider your strategy. Not trying to be offensive, just observation.

Here's another question/concern:

Do you feel like unplugging your internet/system mid invasion, whether you want to be invaded or not, is ever justified?
    I've been connected to loads of people where lag doesn't seem to be an issue and you telling me L2P lol noob, is just you advertising how arrogant and elitist you are, I'm sure your method for dealing with lag is WoG, its hard to defend in certain situations but saying that lag doesn't break the pvp is just you dreaming because every heavy lag match I've been in is a joke regardless of who wins.

I've even heard that some people make sure to download movies and w/e else they can while playing in hopes that they get the lag advantage.

I love this game, I have loads of fun playing it but I'm not so deluded with my like for this game that I tell myself lag isn't a bad thing, I am glad I was able to steer this thread away from if someone bows or not though which was my intent.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:59 pm

The lag sucks, but unfortunately you can only adapt to it so much I find.. Lag varies with every invasion so you can never 100% adapt.. And while it sucks a bit I still think it's pretty damn fun despite getting hit by thin air bounce
    theAnimus
    theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by theAnimus Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:06 pm

No L2P involved. Lag issues won't be resolved, because it has nothing to do with From. Making a general statement like PVP is broken because you experience lag is indeed the arrogant statement. Pretending like you have any idea how I handle any aspect of this game is indeed elitist.

I apologize if you took offense. I meant only to say that, I know this for a fact, there are plenty of people on these boards that do not experience, whether it is intended or not, game-breaking pivot backstabs. Perhaps they have a better connection? Perhaps they have developed a strategy to avoid it?

Does lag interfere with my playing? Sometimes, yes. It does in any game. Do I experience lag to a game-breaking effect? Absolutely not. Do I get consistently pivot-stabbed or "lagstabbed" to the point of fury? Nope, rarely get backstabbed.
    Godless Servant
    Godless Servant
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Godless Servant Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 pm

I don't mind a little lag, I'm used to it, its when they're in front of me and in a blink I'm being BS that gets under my skin.

Yesterday I met up with someone from these forums in game to give him some cracked red eye orbs, we used the red soap stone and we were thinking about dueling after just for the laugh but I noticed some heavy heavy lag and I really didn't care about the character I had used to mule the orbs to him so I said just kill me, it's cool.

We were in the bonfire room in the depths, he was by the exit and I was up against the bonfire and I turned my back, he back stabbed me from the door. We were in a private chat and laughed about it but on his screen he said he had moved all the way up to my back before stabbing me. This is just to illustrate how bad it can get.

That being said there really isn't much we can do about it and I was hoping to hear how some people get around it, perhaps some creative ideas that aren't common but no L2P, that's just childish.
    Godless Servant
    Godless Servant
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Godless Servant Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm

theAnimus wrote:Do I get consistently pivot-stabbed or "lagstabbed" to the point of fury? Nope, rarely get backstabbed.
    I don't either, I said when it happens my frustration can go through the roof. I didn't say it happens every match but for the matches it does happen in it sucks pure and simple.
    theAnimus
    theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by theAnimus Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Perhaps you should start a thread that would be open to discussing creative ways to avoid the backstab and possible ways to counter lag? I'd certainly add to the discussion, I have methods, just that this isn't exactly the place for it. I'd like to keep this thread on topic. Thanks
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:17 pm

There's nothing anyone can actively do to prevent lag. Lag is due to connection speed and distance, two things you literally have no control over. The only way to fix it is move closer to every opponent (lol) or get your provider to give you some more bandwidth, and even then you'll still have some lag. Some lag would happen if the two consoles were connected directly to each other, probably not noticeable, but it would exist.
    Godless Servant
    Godless Servant
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Godless Servant Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:23 pm

By on topic you mean what exactly? How 70% of the posts in this thread are related to bowing habits?

PvP Honor - Some people intentionally download stuff to take advantage of lag. how does that not belong? I mentioned it in one of my posts but no it was not the focal point of my posts.

Your unplugging the internet question, I've personally done it twice, the second time it was called for but the first time I was just being very very lazy (it was very late and I was just about to go to bed anyways)I should not have done it but I did.
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somebody_else Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 pm

i couldn't care less about honor, bowing and so on... i do that sometimes when i want to lead someone to where i can fight 1v1 and bowing is always followed by pointing gesture where i'm the one that turns back in good faith (that only happens if i'm summoned into someones game for example).

whole bowing is totally overused here. if place is already arranged... there is 1v1... ??? do we really need tuxedo tea party followed by 20 gesture dance greeting before fighting?

anyone that i summon or get invaded by can only expect fair 1v1 from me. i'll take any potshot in the book (except lagstabbing, TWoP or WoG spam). but in case of player bowing before start, i'll wait for person to finish his nonsense and i won't bow back.

bowing doesn't add any honor to the fight, the way you fight does. i'll take whole fight without healing, without escaping and with full frontal assault. and this is the only thing that i expect under "honorable fight" trademark.

and for anyone saying that bowing matters... hell,... i can name whole set of gangbanging matches where 3 players bowed to me just to be spammed by TWoP and WoG. and look... after my death they bowed again. or lagstabber griefer bowing before start and end. DkS definitely lowered state of PvP when compared to DS
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm

I don't bow anymore. The fight itself is the only thing that matters.
    THEGOLIATH
    THEGOLIATH

Post by THEGOLIATH Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I never have bowed to anyone invading my world and I have only invaded once and didnt bow then, your there to fight and take souls simple. If you invade someones world (my world mainly) and bow don't expect me to bow back, you will just get a great axe to the face I only play PVE and co-op and I don't like being disturbed silly.
    Altough that being said the odd invasion dose spice up the game abit ^^b
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 pm

is that kabal from mortal kombat?
    THEGOLIATH
    THEGOLIATH

Post by THEGOLIATH Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Carphil wrote:is that kabal from mortal kombat?
    It is yes only decent avatar picture I have and I think its pretty cool happy
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm

LOL he didn't look like that back when I used to play Mortal Kombat XD
    THEGOLIATH
    THEGOLIATH

Post by THEGOLIATH Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Serious_Much wrote:LOL he didn't look like that back when I used to play Mortal Kombat XD
    Yeah I know its off the latest mortal kombat game for kabals ending not a costume you can unlock as far as I know but it is still good ol kabal big grin
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Is the new one good?

I lapped up the PS2 ones after being amazed when I played original arcade version in like cyprus or something XD
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 pm

this should be on off topic, sorry for starting this. Just a note
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:38 pm

k then let's all get back to my offtopic thread!!! YA-HA!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm