SL60 build

dirkdeadeye
    Regular
    Regular

SL60 build

Post by dirkdeadeye on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

http://tinyurl.com/82lhjj4

Just farting around playing with the build creator..

My logic is, since most people at that level are going to use bleed, and elements, and AR scaling is low, why not use armor that resists elemental and bleed damage. And if i'm gonna invade in PW..what better set of armor than the PW Guardian armor.
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Re: SL60 build

Post by BLA1NE on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:26 am

There's a few things in there that confuse me:

- If you just switch to the warrior class, with those same stats you can save 8 soul levels (6 if you want to keep your attunment slot). 8 levels will go a long way at that SL.

- Why 20 Dex?

- Why Gravelord Sword Dance and nothing to cast it with?

- Bandit's knife in your left is pretty useless. Can't do critical hits from the left hand. If it's there because you plan on using it for its bleeding, then you could put it in the right hand and get rid of the rapier. To me it seems either useless or redundant.

- You're making very poor use of your equip weight. You could either lower your End, or change your weapons to be under 25% weight so you wouldn't need to wear the DWGR.

I don't completely understand what you're trying to do with this build, but keeping as much of it like you had, this is how I would do it:

http://tinyurl.com/7u77bp3

I moved the Bandit's Knife to the right hand and removed the rapier; swapped the Silver Knight Shield for the also very competent, but lighter, Heater Shield; removed the DWGR (put Wolf's in there, but you can put whatever you want); changed some stats around. All in all, you come out with the same move speed, more endurance, more health, and some poise.

If you actually wanted to use the Gravelord Sword Dance, you can lower the vit by 3 and increase Att by 2 so you get 1 slot back, and Fth by 1 so you can use a talisman. Now you also have your second left hand slot empty, so you can put the Thorolhund talisman in there, and you have exactly enough equip weight that you'll still be fast rolling.

What do you think?

Regular
    Regular

Post by dirkdeadeye on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah, that sounds good. I'm still sort of taking in all of the attributes and variables. I spent so much time playing wow, and that game was a matter of using the right gear, enchantments, and the right gems (later on down the road) for the situation. Stacking defense to avoid crushing blows, adding just enough hit so you don't miss on autoswing, then rationing everything else towards AC, and HP.

I'll get it eventually. This is more traditional..which is kind of nice, but I sort of miss the emphasis on armor..but at least this does allow more freedom with building toons.

And thanks for taking the time to help. I sort of slapped that together without much thought. I think I was still in the realm of thinking about building a rouge in WoW with this guy. Left hand swings faster, right hand for cooldown attacks.

It's nice to see a community that for the most part isn't a bunch of snobs.
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:33 pm

In Demon's Souls, you could put a Katana in your left hand for ridiculous swing speed, but it got abused so I figure From didn't want the same thing happening in Dark Souls.

Also, armor is very important to consider when you're making builds in Dark Souls! They all have pros and cons that are well balanced. Those that have certain desirable attributes will be docked on defense or increased weight. For example: Kirk's armor has practically the same stats as the Dark set (both medium armors), but because it damages opponents when you roll into them, it weighs more than the Dark Set. So if you want to damage opponents on roll, you need to consider the increased equip weight, and you could end up going for the Dark Set instead, forgoing roll damage. This is just one example out of countless possible ones when you make a build!

Sounds to me like building toons in WoW was actually quite similar to Dark Souls. Only in Dark Souls, on top of phisycal, magical, and elemental defense attributes of armor, you also have to consider poise. Different people consider different armor attributes as more important, so they'll go for certain armor sets rather than others; or some people will go with no armor at all! For me, poise is the most important, and I usually hit my desired number with only gloves and legs, so I often just go topless. But just because I'm not wearing a chest-piece or helmet, don't go thinking my armor isn't important! Since people have such varying priorities, it might make it seem like armor isn't such an important consideration, because everyone rolls with a different setup. But that just goes to show how specific you can be when you make your build, rather than that it's not important.

Anyways, feel free to ask any questions if you have any more, and post more of your ideas! If you'd like to brush up on basic principles of making a build in Dark Souls, you can check out a wiki page I wrote: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Character+Building+for+Dummies (don't be offended by the title!).

Regular
    Regular

Post by dirkdeadeye on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 pm

BLA1NE wrote:In Demon's Souls, you could put a Katana in your left hand for ridiculous swing speed, but it got abused so I figure From didn't want the same thing happening in Dark Souls.

Also, armor is very important to consider when you're making builds in Dark Souls! They all have pros and cons that are well balanced. Those that have certain desirable attributes will be docked on defense or increased weight. For example: Kirk's armor has practically the same stats as the Dark set (both medium armors), but because it damages opponents when you roll into them, it weighs more than the Dark Set. So if you want to damage opponents on roll, you need to consider the increased equip weight, and you could end up going for the Dark Set instead, forgoing roll damage. This is just one example out of countless possible ones when you make a build!

Sounds to me like building toons in WoW was actually quite similar to Dark Souls. Only in Dark Souls, on top of phisycal, magical, and elemental defense attributes of armor, you also have to consider poise. Different people consider different armor attributes as more important, so they'll go for certain armor sets rather than others; or some people will go with no armor at all! For me, poise is the most important, and I usually hit my desired number with only gloves and legs, so I often just go topless. But just because I'm not wearing a chest-piece or helmet, don't go thinking my armor isn't important! Since people have such varying priorities, it might make it seem like armor isn't such an important consideration, because everyone rolls with a different setup. But that just goes to show how specific you can be when you make your build, rather than that it's not important.

Anyways, feel free to ask any questions if you have any more, and post more of your ideas! If you'd like to brush up on basic principles of making a build in Dark Souls, you can check out a wiki page I wrote: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Character+Building+for+Dummies (don't be offended by the title!).

They're similar..but in Dark souls, you could effectively fight naked with just a weapon. In WoW, that would not get you far, at all. Gear was your statistics. I'm not so much disagreeing that armor isn't important, but I notice it doesn't carry the same burden. It's armor, it defines your AC, weight, and resistance. That's what armor should do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm