Level 1 Challenge

Level 1 Challenge

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 pm

I decided to start a level 1 run & was thinking of some ways to limit myself as to not breeze through the game. Right now my character has a +5 Dagger & +5 Battle Axe using Grass Crest Shield with Hollow Soldier Waistcloth & Iron Bracelet with the FAP ring. Now part of this challenge is killing off NPCs early so Petrus of Thorolund, Crestfallen Warrior, & Solaire of Astora where killed at game start. Now I was wondering if I offer my pyro flame to snuggly before meeting Laurentius would I be given an extra flame when first meeting him? Currently at Cappra Demon fight but plan on doing Stray Demon first for the slab followed by assassinating Ingward.

I plan on joining the Dragon Covenant followed by Darkwairth.

Also would the challenge be to easy if I used fire/lightning weapons when compared to early +5 raws or +15 normal with resin? Also weapon opinions are welcomed as well.

PS: Also may use a light crossbow haven't decided yet.
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Level 1 Challenge

Post by Imarreteet23 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:11 pm

If you give the pyro flame away Laurentious will give you another one once he reaches firelink. Only use raw weapons, no buffs.

And finally, you have to do every boss naked. Do it, you know you want to.

Stay nerdy, my friends.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 pm

you should do sorcerer no leveling up and you are only allowed to use the dagger.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:21 pm

@Imarreteet23 I guess I can restart to do totally naked boss runs since I already killed the Gargoyles wearing two pieces of armor. Question are rings allowed?

@RantFromRant Isn't sorcerer OP even at base if using things like dusk crown & redtearstone?
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 pm

You dont need to restart, just no more clothes for the bosses. Yes rings, btw.

Stay nerdy, my friends.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Oo1Zer0 wrote:@Imarreteet23 I guess I can restart to do totally naked boss runs since I already killed the Gargoyles wearing two pieces of armor. Question are rings allowed?

@RantFromRant Isn't sorcerer OP even at base if using things like dusk crown & redtearstone?

yeah but all classes have their thing that makes them OP, i guess a melee class would be a lil harder, if youre good at doging you can own bosses though, dragon body plus tear ring would make the game so easy.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:02 am

If it's your first attempt at a low level playthrough then Pyromancer is a fine start. If you're good enough at the game to need added challenge then Pyro will definitely be too strong. Don't let the "SL 1" fool you, Pyromancer's are by far the strongest starting class in the game and the most designed to finish without leveling up.

1. Pyro flame is like an elemental weapon. It doesn't scale off of anything so an sl 1 Pyro has the same damage as an sl 700 pyro.

2. Pyro's get mid-range vitality(10), endurance(11) and strength(12). That's strength allows them to wield some decent weapons and more importantly use some of the best shields in the game (balder, grass crest, crest, etc...).

3. They are 1 of 3 classes that get the 84 stat points at sl 1. The rest get less than that at higher levels.

4. Good starting armor. It has no poise, but excellent fire and poison resistance.

5. Red tearstone ring, dusk crown and bellowing dragoncrest ring work for pyromancy as easily as they do for sorcery.

The antithesis of this is someone like the Sorcerer or Cleric. Sorcerer may get some decent spells like great/heavy soul arrow, but the damage scales off of int so it's limited unlike a Pyro's glove. They also get the weakest starting vit/end at 8/8 and a whopping 9 str meaning they are limited from all but the most basic shields. No grass crest, no crest, etc.. They also have a very limited weapon selection due to 9 str and with only 11 dex it doesn't open up a whole lot. Due to the low end/vit they are the most fragile class and can wear the weakest armor.

Challenge wise with any character, elemental weapons are the equalizer. Something like a lightning battle axe, which Pyro can use 1h, does like 500+AR and has a decent moveset. So while in theory a "melee only" run is tougher, it's still a lot easier than it could be due to the high damage capability.

Think about it this way. With red tearstone ring, dusk crown, bellowing ring you could do something like 3-400 with great soul arrow which has a long wind up and recovery. Or you could do 600ish(probably more) with little to no wind up or recovery. Red tearstone ring + a 500 AR elemental weapon wins as well since you can do 3 attacks in the time it takes one of the sorceries, and probably two of the great combustions.

Ultimately things like dwgr, rofap, mother's mask, etc.. will make it even easier due to their % based increases. DWGR alone allows a lot heavier armor and the ability to flip which has more invincibility frames.

Choose what you think would be fun and go with it. If you limit too much it may become a stale playthrough. I've done the SL 1 with no limits and it was way too easy. Did a naked knight/no shield/no elemental weapon run at sl 5 and it was hard, but not very fun. I'm currently doing an sl 3 sorcerer run with no health/end/burden increasing items allowed and my only melee weapon allowed is a dagger(upgraded of course). I'm having a lot more fun with this than the naked run.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks for the input. My original intent of picking a pyro was for 3 gloves. First being used to trade for a red chunk, 2nd to ascend then trade for a red slab, & 3rd to keep at base to use power within as I had no intention of maxing a pryo glove(like you said makes the game to easy) to use for ranged spells. That was before deciding to do a naked raw weapons run instead. Also considering using a light crossbow for ranged damage. Though mite still upgrade a few elemental weapons to use for Dragon Cov pvp haven't decided yet. Also planning on getting the fog ring once I get enough courage to enter the forest.

If I actually finish this I plan on doing a SL 1 NG+ with the same character this time more decked out.

PS: & yes this is my fist attempt.

& just noticed you can't raw a cross bow so forget that option.
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 am

If you're not maxing your pyro then I'd see nothing wrong with allowing combustion since it won't be that high of damage anyways. Raw weapon's are great though against 4 kings you might run into trouble. I did it with a +15 claymore(best I could do without elemental) and gold resin buff and it was all I could do to kill each King. Had I used red tearstone or power within it probably would have went faster, but ultimately it took something like 11 attacks to kill each of the 4 kings and I was never once ahead of the spawn cycle. There was always one waiting in the wings to engage me.

I'd just set a few basic limits to keep NG challenging, then open up all options for NG+ as you'll need them. Low level runs are fun and guaranteed to up your skill level since you can't make many mistakes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 pm