Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Darkson
Rin
RANT
cloudyeki
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
chaosrave
11 posters

countering certain strats

chaosrave
    chaosrave
    Regular
    Regular

countering certain strats Empty countering certain strats

Post by chaosrave Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

hey guys im a lv 75 wearing iron armor chest an some random other stuff... i got about 30 faith wih 2 spells... wrath of god and darkmoon blade.. my primary weapon is the dragon slayer spear and i switch it out for some crysal weapons to use DMB on... my question is how can i counter some of theses strats which are tearing me apart in the pvp scene.. id like alittle better respones rather than roll away thank you ^^

1. great combustion spammers with 40+ dex
    2. zeihander or greatsword lightning guys who just run up and beat u down
    3. dagger/rapier backstabbers( i beat a guy down for 5minutes til he had like 10% of his hp left and i had 90%... he backstabs me once and bam im dead)
    4. guys who carry that greatsword thats 2h R2 skill is same as tranquil walk of peace... after using it they walk up and beat u to death and u cant roll or anything

thx guys id like to know what strategies you guys use vs these kinds of pvping people
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

countering certain strats Empty Re: countering certain strats

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

1. Spacing practice
    2. Spacing practice
    3. Spacing practice + mirror game
    4. Parry practice (which I still need more of)

And no I am not trying to be a jerk and tell you that you need to be a better gamer. Those are the strategies I use for those situations. I did a lot of spacing practice at the Kiln with the black knights since their weapons are popular and represent similar reaches to those you mentioned. For the mirror game you gotta do spacing first and learn to mimic your opponent and keep that distance precise no matter what they do
    chaosrave
    chaosrave
    Regular
    Regular

Post by chaosrave Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:1. Spacing practice
    2. Spacing practice
    3. Spacing practice + mirror game
    4. Parry practice (which I still need more of)

And no I am not trying to be a jerk and tell you that you need to be a better gamer. Those are the strategies I use for those situations. I did a lot of spacing practice at the Kiln with the black knights since their weapons are popular and represent similar reaches to those you mentioned. For the mirror game you gotta do spacing first and learn to mimic your opponent and keep that distance precise no matter what they do

cool thx for the reply... but i have an idea how to dodge them... like combustion and ultra greatswords are easy to dodge by just rolling away... but how do i beat them? if i get close enough to hit them it will be a hit trade situation in which i still lose... if i try to use my shield up and poke them with my spear then they will run around and backstab me as soon as i try... im just not sure how to fight back to these people...
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:25 pm

WoG the hell out of them. For great combustions keep your distances and fish for a backstab. For Zweihander guys dodge, and hit, dodge and hit. For backstabbers fish for backstabs too, you should be able to counterbackstab the hell out of them. For the guys with the stone greatword stay in front of a wall, WoG, parry.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Aye, listen to skarekrow about spacing. Polearm weapons are best with a decent gap between your opponent and yourself. Keep all of those guys at the very edge of your reach, and hit them when they enter it. What's some of the crystal weapons you use?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:33 pm

1: roll towards them which will lead to you landing behind them then bs them.
    2: you can eithe learn how to parry or do the same thing as number one.
    3: look up videos on youtube abobut how to do the same thing.
    4: use wog or force to keep them back and then parry them, also try to stand with your back to a wall so you dont get backstabbed.

parrying will take practice, there are a lot of videos on youtube on how to do all this, it's better if you look them up cause it would be very hard to explain here, good luck.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 pm

1. use yr spear with a shield up, wog or bs 2. if ur shield is stable shiels up attack then roll back regen stamina n repeat, wog or roll stab ther weapons sre slow n easy to punish 3. i counter bs but i bet u dont know how 2 do thatXD use yr wog or learn to bs too if u bs on a bs it will counter itself 4. it only lasts 10sec if yr dar enough just run n if yr not shield, u could also shield n attack with the dragonslayer to piss him off
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Spacing is different than dodging. Most times someone swings a greatsword at me (and I am actually playing well) it hits air. The difference with dodging is that I took a step out of the way, not rolling or flipping. Two advantages...no stamina drain whatsoever (big for me with a scythe) and most importanly, you can attack immediately. With a roll you need to finish the roll which might mean they are already ready to attack again. With spacing your attack comes at the end of theirs meaning they are defenseless
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

the thing bout 'spacing' is they can run attack u and y have 2 hv the space oh n if u flip/roll after an attack no damage and rollin is like 3 sec long also in u R1 after a roll back you should perform a run up attack
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

3 seconds are really long, not even the fatty roll is that long...

I'd say a medium roll is like 1 second, maybe a bitty bit more...
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 pm

i like exaggerating thingsXD
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:20 pm

But also I don't really get what you are saying Rin, sorry lol

what do you mean by "y have 2 hv the space" ?
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Zweihanders are a pain in pvp because the hitbox seems both laggy and disproportionately wide compared to the weapon design, making it tough (at least for me) to space right or left without getting that stupid knockdown even if the attack graphic has the sword hitting 5 feet away. I either stand way off and just annoy them with spells or thrown items, or strafe in really close and keep circling as if I were fighting Havel. In 2v1 or 3v1 I just stay away entirely and kill other people first.

Re #4, TwoP is annoying but it wears off quickly (10 secs I think) so try to stay clear entirely. Otherwise WotG, great combustion, or parries. You can sometimes have success with an AOE spell too - either clipping them with the edge as they approach, or warding them off long enough for the TwoP to wear off. The lava from the chaos firestorm can help with this.
    chaosrave
    chaosrave
    Regular
    Regular

Post by chaosrave Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Aye, listen to skarekrow about spacing. Polearm weapons are best with a decent gap between your opponent and yourself. Keep all of those guys at the very edge of your reach, and hit them when they enter it. What's some of the crystal weapons you use?

since im 24str 24dex i have alot of weapons to use... main ones i crystalize are katanas, axes, and greatswords... the best ones buff+crystal are laito, greataxe(from sewer), and manserpent greatsword cause they are either really fast or hit really strong... you have any other suggestions of weapons i can crstyalize and buff in battle? easily acquireable is good since they break easily so i can replenish them happy
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Rin, the trick is to be just far enough away where they think they will hit you. And yeah, for running attacks you're better of dodging
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm

If you're using crystal weapons if you upgrade them they repair, so you may not want to upgrade fully to make them last longer. Just something to think about.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 pm

iaito is only aquirable once per game, you can buy greataxes from the merchant in sens fortress, shiva of the forest covanent sells uchigatana's and washing pole katana's and you can buy bastard swords (greatsword) from andre
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 pm

aceluby wrote:If you're using crystal weapons if you upgrade them they cannot be repair, so you may not want to upgrade fully to make them last longer. Just something to think about.

fixed
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 pm

For katanas go Uchi. don't need something incredibly fragile. Spears you can get by the dozens so that's an option.

I'll always rock a halberd-type weapon for the range and sweeps it has. If you have enough poise with a scythe or G.Halberd, Players have a bad habit of rushing you when you 2 hand it. If you can, you can ready a heavy, take there hit and bust their poise on the spot.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:53 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    aceluby wrote:If you're using crystal weapons if you upgrade them they cannot be repair, so you may not want to upgrade fully to make them last longer. Just something to think about.

fixed

It was right the first time... if you upgrade them (ie from +1 to +2) they repair, though I see how my language was a bit ambiguous.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Instead of rolling away roll at them to get behind so you can backstab. Takes practice & proper timing though.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Don't try running from people who BS you, it only makes it easier twisted

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Yarxov wrote:Don't try running from people who BS you, it only makes it easier twisted
    ^This; wide swings can also prevent the obvious BS from people who do nothing but circle left or right. They also need to have their shield down for the BS which gives you an open shot to stun lock.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:59 pm