Strength vs Dex

aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Re: Strength vs Dex

Post by aceluby on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm

What's stopping a dex build from being a tank if they have the same End?

SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW
    theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by theAnimus on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Both. They both have their advantages, and my two favorite chars are my str and dex guys. All the other crappy playstyles can go to hell.

And I guess if I had to pick one it'd be STR. My lvl 40 Man-serpent GS wielding Darkwraith is just too much fun to play.
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:35 pm

aceluby wrote:What's stopping a dex build from being a tank if they have the same End?

Dex: light armor light weapons

Str: heavy armor heavy weapons

Douche: light weapons, giants armor and dark wood grain ring

big grin

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Carphil wrote:
    aceluby wrote:What's stopping a dex build from being a tank if they have the same End?

Dex: light armor light weapons

Str: heavy armor heavy weapons

Douche: light weapons, giants armor and dark wood grain ring

big grin

This makes no sense. If they have the same equipment load having heavy weapons on a Str build means less room for armor. On the flip side a light weapon means more room for armor. Str or Dex has nothing to do w/ armor or equipment load.

SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 pm

It's because when you're a Dex build you don't need as much End as a Str build. And a lot of Str builds will go above 40 End anyways just for the equip weight.

Also, as a dex build, you're either limited to 25% equip weight or 50%. If you sacrifice both your ring slots for Havel's and Ninja Flip, sure, you can get some heavy armor on.

But as a Str build, they don't care about mobility. Their main goal is to have crazy poise, def, and probably a massive shield. So even going above 50% equip weight isn't a bad idea for a Str build. Doubling up your equip weight opens up your armor possibilities a lot more than having a weapon that weighs 10 lbs less.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 pm

But isn't it possible to have a str build and not be a tank?? what if people just prefer the larger weapons but still want to be under 25% equip? thats what i'm trying to do with my str build
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:32 pm

It is possible, but in practice not a very good idea.

Since your weapons have such slow attack animation, getting staggered easily means you'll never be able to actually get an attack off.

It's like my BKGA Dragon. In theory, high Str + BKGA + Dragon Roar sounds extremely lethal. But in practice, unless my opponent is a total turtle, then it's hard to swing at them because I get staggered by the littlest nudge.

So when going Str, you really need as much poise as you can get. Like I've said in another thread, the best poise/weight ratio is Havel's Gauntlets and Leggings, for 56 poise at 23 equip weight. Without even adding weapon weight, and assuming you have Ring of FaP on, that's still almost 40 End only for 2 armor pieces and 56 poise, to be under 25%. With RoFaP and Wolf's you would have 96 poise with that setup, which is decent, but that's still without accounting for weapon weight. The BKGA weighs 16. Plus the 2 armor pieces you're looking at 39 equip weight which, right off the bat, would require over 90 End to be under 25% equip weight!

You're stuck pretty much every way. Str build needs poise; poise needs equip weight; can't be under 25%. Unless you don't mind getting staggered by everything... but then have fun never being able to swing your weapon.

Edit: if you do it, though, rolling+R1 attacks will generally be your best attacks.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 pm

woah i never thought of it that way, you sir have opened my eyes! I have alot of thinking to do before i finish this build now, thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:28 pm