Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
WyrmHero
chaosrave
sunbro
Wade_Wilson
Quarik
befowler
ViralEnsign_
Dr. Demento
Emergence
White Mamba
ublug
User
skarekrow13
Yukon
DoughGuy
Tolvo
20 posters

The Darkroot Woods

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

The Darkroot Woods - Page 8 Empty Re: The Darkroot Woods

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 am

So Oolacile Tomb may be located in some part of Darkroot Forest. Good work guys!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 am

In celebration of the fruition of our insane rants.....I propose a Channeler's danceathon
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iPvmAclM0
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 am

Well done sir.....well done
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm going to copy/paste this post from the "search for Lore"thread here: Hopefully some of the info is actually new, and I didn't just miss it/forget it.

The Garden is believed too be the land of Oolacile, but even if it isn't, there is human construction there. Nobody can claim that is false. The question is, where is all of the other construction? Was the entire garden just the land of the giant manor you get the divine ember in?

This is where a rather...interesting bit of evidence comes into play. Across from the "floodgates" of New Londo (Probably used as normal gates at one point), on the other side of the bridge in the Valley of Drakes, lies the elevator to the garden.

An elevator just opposite of the elevator that takes you to the seal in New Londo. The outside of which at the bottom can be seen holes in the pillars, like those in the other side of the valley where the gates latch...

So,there was a gate there at one point. The most obvious reason for there too be gates there is that there was once a city there, just like New Londo. Now, let's take a look at where the gates would lead if all the rubble wasn't there. Oh my, right under the lake with the hydra? Was this city flooded for some reason, just like New Londo was?

Asfor what the city is, here's my theory. When the humans started fighting the dragons, they had to have at least a few cities. It is the only way they would have been able to gather a large enough army to fight them. Now, let's look at the cities in game: Anor Londo (new, above ground), New Londo (old?, below ground), and Izalith (old, below
    ground). Huh, two of the three are underground? Well, the dragons must have been the terrors of the open world back then. Humanity must have lived underground for safety, at which point they discovered the flame.

So,if the OLD cities were underground, then New Londo can't be the new ANOR Londo. So, is it not possible that when the city under the garden (henceforth known as simply "Londo") had a population high enough that people couldn't expand any more, they went across the valley, and started a new city. A "New" Londo, if you will. And then, when at long last they had beat the dragons, the humans walked out of their caves andsettled on the surface, settling an above ground city, which they called Anor (sunny) Londo.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Dough, Skare, Cloud, you have been summoned!
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Tolvo wrote:Dough, Skare, Cloud, you have been summoned!

Great, now I'm curious. Which one of them is a red phantom?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Oh, a man never sets up a gank and tells. winking

I just realized Dough is asleep, so he probably won't be making it unless he can sense a disturbance in the forums.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Blue phantom all the way baby!

I like the theory actually. I can't refute it in the least but can state why I tend to believe it's Oolacile more. First, the Four Kings were in Gwyn's favor and even granted souls from him. So logically there is a connection between new and Anor Londo. Also, three Londo's seems like a lot. Unless you're a Mortal Kombat ninja. Then we need twelve of the same thing with different colors (Sub Zero was the best, don't argue). There had to have been other cities but the mythological connections
    seem to suggest that Anor Londo was similar to Olympus. Everything
    seems to spiral down from their city which might mean that these are the
    points at which face to face contact between man and "god" took place.
    New Londo seems to be a direct collaboration at some point between Gwyn
    and the Kings. Sen's is a proving ground to meet the gods, etc.

Second, the rock walls and lack of many boulders and rounded walls means water is an unlikely agent of destruction. Not sure From would worry about geology though so I will compare in game things. New Londo has a lot of wooden structures once it's drained as well as corpse piles etc. This is consistent to some extent with underwater finds. The Basin doesn't have what would appear to be ruins preserved by water. Now more time could have passed there meaning there shouldn't be so none of this is proof. Mainly for in game stuff is that New Londo is a bowl with the gates as a release valve leading to the valley. Darkroot is not separated from the valley so water would drain there meaning you would need a lot more water. Fire often leads to nutrient rich soil. The only area in which things actually grow is Darkroot, the vegetation of which is also consistent with former fire zones. I like your "other gate" and I think you're probably right but that gate wouldn't stop much water from leaving the basin.

I don't wanna say you're wrong and your stuff is actually really cool. I just have a different crazy theory....

Have fun in the Archives...all crazy theories are welcome!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Just thought I should mention, Anor Londo is built up from the bottom, so you are seeing the most recent buildings, further down it could be incredibly archaic looking.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:19 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Blue phantom all the way baby!

I like the theory actually. I can't refute it in the least but can state why I tend to believe it's Oolacile more. First, the Four Kings were in Gwyn's favor and even granted souls from him. So logically there is a connection between new and Anor Londo. Also, three Londo's seems like a lot. Unless you're a Mortal Kombat ninja. Then we need twelve of the same thing with different colors (Sub Zero was the best, don't argue). There had to have been other cities but the mythological connections
    seem to suggest that Anor Londo was similar to Olympus. Everything
    seems to spiral down from their city which might mean that these are the
    points at which face to face contact between man and "god" took place.
    New Londo seems to be a direct collaboration at some point between Gwyn
    and the Kings. Sen's is a proving ground to meet the gods, etc.

Second, the rock walls and lack of many boulders and rounded walls means water is an unlikely agent of destruction. Not sure From would worry about geology though so I will compare in game things. New Londo has a lot of wooden structures once it's drained as well as corpse piles etc. This is consistent to some extent with underwater finds. The Basin doesn't have what would appear to be ruins preserved by water. Now more time could have passed there meaning there shouldn't be so none of this is proof. Mainly for in game stuff is that New Londo is a bowl with the gates as a release valve leading to the valley. Darkroot is not separated from the valley so water would drain there meaning you would need a lot more water. Fire often leads to nutrient rich soil. The only area in which things actually grow is Darkroot, the vegetation of which is also consistent with former fire zones. I like your "other gate" and I think you're probably right but that gate wouldn't stop much water from leaving the basin.

I don't wanna say you're wrong and your stuff is actually really cool. I just have a different crazy theory....

Have fun in the Archives...all crazy theories are welcome!

I had thought about this actually, the place I'm guessing the "city" itself would be, is the lake the hydra is in. Part of what prompted this thought is where the gate would lead, but there are a few other points of interest.

Firstly, if you look at the "roof" of New Londo, you can see a hole in the top. Not largely important, but it is quite possible (from my perspective, at least) that this is where the water entered from. In the garden, this hole could be the surface of the lake in the basin, and excess water could have drained into the valleys nearby.

Secondly, the valleys in the garden part at least (not the basin) likely occurred after construction. This is most evidently seen in the bonfire before the gate, where the 2 visible walls just crumble at the edge. I see no reason for them to just build two walls there. Now, obviously they must have either been building afterword or some parts were there before, as the bridge to Sif is evident.

As for the "Londo" part, that was just a little theory of mine, since the dragons would obviously be more likely above ground then in a large cave (New Londo, for example), meaning that if humans were to survive, they would need to build in safety. It just seems to me like Anor Londo is more of a "Let's claim our rightful place on the surface", as opposed to "Yeah, let's build where those giant beasts can slaughter us" type of thing.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Just a little interesting thing popped into my head. New londo is basically underground right, a carved out cave city, with their only source of light being from from that hole in the top of the cavern?

"Ancient sorcery of the lost land of Oolacile. Cast a bright light upon surroundings. This light-producing sorcery is elementary but nonetheless demonstrates the achievements in mysticism of Oolacile. Such magic has not been developed even in Vinheim."

Cast light, the spell from Oolacile, that seems like something that would be terribly helpful in an underground city. Perhaps the two cities grew up in tandem? The only torches I noticed in New Londo are high above in the dry parts. And I never saw any sconces in the lower parts.

I don't really know where I am going with this, but throw you guys a bone to gnaw on maybe you can flesh it out.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Interesting Theory Shkar. It does allow for both your city and Oolacile to exist at different times. However New Londo was flooded to stop the darkwraiths. Why would the city under darkroot be flooded? Flooding an entire city is not an easy task. As well there is no evidence of the sealers in darkroot.
    Tolvo stop summoning me in my sleep. It keeps giving me dreams about perverse sex acts I have no interest in. (In-joke guys, dont get too creeped out).
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:21 am

DoughGuy wrote:Interesting Theory Shkar. It does allow for both your city and Oolacile to exist at different times. However New Londo was flooded to stop the darkwraiths. Why would the city under darkroot be flooded? Flooding an entire city is not an easy task. As well there is no evidence of the sealers in darkroot.
    Tolvo stop summoning me in my sleep. It keeps giving me dreams about perverse sex acts I have no interest in. (In-joke guys, dont get too creeped out).

I didn't think that far honestly, I was actually kind of chilled when I realized that the gates would be aimed for the lake with the hydra. I can think of grisly murder in game terms just fine, but flooding a city gives me chills, even if it is a game.

For that matter, maybe it wasn't even flooded on purpose? Maybe the city was abandoned or destroyed some other way, and the waterfalls just filled it up.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 am

Well Ingward states clearly that the sealers flooded New Londo to contain the Dark Wraiths, so it was definitely flooded. Whether everyone inside was dead by this point or not is unknown. Also, how can the abyss be flooded? Would this mean the water was slowly being drained by the abyss possibly? Because how could it fill with water, and it is near the bottom meaning water would naturally flow into it.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:19 am

The fog gate doesn't let the water in, lol.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:52 am

The darkwraiths made a wall of bodies that sealed it. thats how they survived down there.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:53 am

Actually there is no fog gate above the abyss, just blocking the nearest doorway to it. As well the area above it that is open would be below the water line, and there are definitely no bodies there. silly
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Isn't that tower they are in covered by a dome and a statue tolvo? Unless the ceiling had cracks in it I didn't notice from the front. I am pretty sure the area is cover. I think its more likely the water level dropped leaking through the large gate rather than draining into the abyss, I think gwyn would have considered that it would drain new londo and seal it... considering his knights, other than artorias, probably just continued to fall to their deaths.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Last time I checked it doesn't have a roof, but I can run there some time today on a toon and check, maybe snag a picture.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 pm

I just went and checked, on one side it is covered by a dome but on the other the dome is broken. My bad, I didn't walk around the whole structure.

The Darkroot Woods - Page 8 Dsc02915
    The Darkroot Woods - Page 8 Dsc02916
    The Darkroot Woods - Page 8 Dsc02917
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I knew I was right!...Sort of...

Man, that's actually a very beautiful image.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Well thank you, I am ever so happy to be beautiful and wrong at the same time winking

I can upload a bigger image later if you want it.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 pm

No problem sweet thing. winking

Please tell me you are a man so this is just a weird post on my part, and not some form of sexual harassment.

Alright, so ideas on the abyss possibly flooding? Does the water merely pass through it like we do? But then, wouldn't it mean that New Londo would have been drained more? As well, why isn't that well full of water?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm