Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
SlakeMoth
Tolvo
ErrJon6661
Yukon
DoughGuy
9 posters

Offlien O&S

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Offlien O&S Empty Offlien O&S

Post by DoughGuy Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:48 am

So I'm really starting to get annoyed at O&S. I'm playing offline so the only help I get for this is Solaire and with his help I can kill one but generally Solaire is dead after 1 or 2 hits of the supre one. I'm playing a lvl 50 VIT/STR build using tarkus's armour, BK shield and bastard sword +10 (although Im probably gonna visit Vamos to get a +5 fire something soon). I've died so many times. Does anyone have any suggestions for what i should make my fire weapon (prefer not to use Quelaag's as i have no demon titanite atm) and any strategies I can use for O&S?
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Offlien O&S Empty Re: Offlien O&S

Post by Yukon Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 am

Do you use pyromancy magic or faith?

My best advice is use the pillar to your advantage, don't worry about what soliare is doing try to distace yourself from him, if you notice him running on your screen he is too close, pull one of the bosses away from him if you can.

You can roll IN to many of smoughs attacks, aside from his running upthrust and his butt slam attacks, so just stay close to him if you plan to take him out 1st. He is super weak to fire so you should bring some resins with you to the fight.

It's probably best to fight Orn with fire too if you can, if you have the dark grain ring you should be good to roll out of any of his attacks, including the electic buttslam he gets if you choose to kill him 2nd, he will prefer to go ranged after you get a certain distance from him so you can take him out with magic or lightening bolts, or a bow/crossbow.

Stay close to him, on his free arm, the one not holding his spear, he has some dead spots where he can't hit you too often.

Just take your time with the battle don't get greedy and attack only while you can.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:33 am

I thougth about investing in pyromancy but with only 1 attunement slot the best i could do is great chaos fireball. I've only got 12 faith. I've been meaning to level it sometime but I keep forgetting I need to. Bowing Orn to death is probably my best bet.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:36 am

I think you can poison orn, a bow battle with him will be long, but it gets shorter if you bring some poison arrows silly

I think resin is the faster, though less healthy, way to go. since you can kill him way faster. I also found combustion to be a MUCH better way to kill him if you only have the 1 slot. I could almost take him down with just my combustions with a +15 pyro hand my first play through.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:40 am

Epic Name Bro has a pretty in depth video on how to kill them. You could try and use charcoal pine resin on a normally upgraded weapon.

Also, they are rather easy to kill with a bow. A composite bow +10 and fire arrows holds its own against them.

Lastly, I've heard a crossbow is a good option against them also.

When going ranged you can dodge orstiens lightning attacks by keeping a pillar (broken or unbroken) between you and him, its easy to do. I'd recommend a heavy crossbow and heavy bolts, and be sure to upgrade it.

Also, you can't poison them sad I tried, after 50 or so arrows I switched to fire. If you can, it takes a lot of arrows.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:48 am

GASP, I am providing faulty information then. I could have sworn I saw someone poison orn when I was summoned as a phantom.

In all honesty though your bardardsword +10 and some resin will put some SERIOUS hurt on that duo. I think its worth a trip down to firelink, since you can use a homing bone to get right back to anor londo. but that call is yours.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 am

I bet if you had three people chucking dung at him he'd go toxic, but one person and arrows won't do it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 am

Ok, thx for the help everyone. Ill try using resin and ranged attacks tonight.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:19 am

You can poison them, that's how I usually tackle Super Ornstein solo. Poison arrows with a +4 Lightning Bow, because I'm stupid when it comes to upgrading things.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:22 am

With a good bow, mine was the Composite Bow +14 and if you concentrate on the one Solaire is attacking, you can off one of them from a distance with the Hawk Ring equipped BUT you have to keep an eye open for what the other one is doing.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:28 am

I found Solaire amazingly annoying in that fight as he kept taking out the one I wanted to keep alive sad I ended up having to solo it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 am

I found the trick is to rush the one you want and try to draw them away from the other. Then Solaire goes for the second one. Generally i can get him to go for the one I want him to.
    Johannsny
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Johannsny Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:47 am

SlakeMoth wrote:With a good bow, mine was the Composite Bow +14 and if you concentrate on the one Solaire is attacking, you can off one of them from a distance with the Hawk Ring equipped BUT you have to keep an eye open for what the other one is doing.

Do you lock on or just spam arrows in his general direction? If I try to aim, I can't keep an eye on the other, If I lock on, I am too close and they nail me while I am still fiddling with the bow.

i've never been able to solo them. Got past them twice, but always with help.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 am

By the way thought I should also throw out there, they both take a lot of damage from fire.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 am

I had a dig around on the old forums to find this mini-guide thing I wrote aaaaages ago. Enjoy.

Tips for Siegfried & Roy:

1) Blocking: The eagle shield at +10 or higher makes blocking their attacks a joke. Obviously stuff like Smough's leaping overhead hammer strike or elemental damage like Ornstein's lightning bolts should be rolled rather than blocked.

2) Elemental resistances: Smough is weak to lightning. 8 or 9 direct hits with the lightning spear miracle Sunbros get for example will kill him outright from range making phase 1 a walkover. Otherwise hammer away with a lightning weapon. Combining the lightning spear (upgraded ideally) from Sen's Fortress with the eagle shield will even allow you to block whilst poking him in the shins. Super-Smough gains resistance to lightning upon absorbing Ornstein. Ornstein is vulnerable to fire. This is true of super-ornstein AND super-smough, so switch to pyro or a fire weapon once you kill one of them.

3) Pillars are your friends: Keep them between you and the bosses. The bosses will smash them as the fight progresses, but the broken 'stump' of the pillar can still be used to LoS them. This is really important in phase 2, especially against super Ornstein.

4) SMOUGH! Hammer time!: The head of smoughs hammer counts as a shield and blocks all damage. This is particularly important if you are using spells or ranged attacks. So do not cast/shoot if Smough lowers his hammer to charge at you or slams it into the ground between you and him.

5) Don't stand in the lightning: Ronseal.

With this in mind, the way I did it solo was to unload lightning spears on Smough whilst keeping an eye on and blocking Orny with the Eagle shield. I rolled Smough's attacks. I use the pillars (broken ones still work) to avoid Smough's charge attack. At about 20 faith, my 10 lightning spear miracles took chubbs to about 1/5 health, and then it was a case of carefully picking him off with melee without getting Ornsteined in the face.

Once Smough was down, I IMMEDIATELY (i.e. the second the cutscene finished) switched to a fully ascended pyro flame behind a pillar, dashed out and started circling Orny slamming great fire orbs into him due to his vulnerability to fire. Making sure to roll rather than block his lol-liftupandimpale move. Once I ran out of casts, I ran behind a pillar and applied Charcoal Pine Resin to my Iaito. Then I kept dodging through his legs and slashing at his ankles until he went down.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 am

By the way, I believe a Lightning +4 Eagle Shield can get over 80% block against Lightning attacks, might be useful for tanks who can't get away from Super O&S jump lightning explosion attack.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm

That's good stuff Zechk. I hope it's still up the next time I go for them.

As for using arrows, get as far away from the action as possible and target the one you want by using the L1 bumper on the PS3 (sorry not sure what it's called) not the right stick method. It's risky but in my experience every little helps.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm

You can actually hit the super version of either one without even going into aim or locking on. They're kinda hard to miss. Just make sure you're facing them and your aiming slightly above center.
    Klosterheim
    Klosterheim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Klosterheim Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Zechk wrote:1) Blocking: The eagle shield at +10 or higher makes blocking their attacks a joke.

I have an INT build, but getting the eagle shield to +10 early in my career is probably one of the smartest things I did. I am simply unable to take 100% of enemies with magic, so my combo of Eagle Shield +10 and (later) my Enchanted Iaito +5 has served me well as a backup plan.

When I took on S&O, I used the Eagle Shield and it was great, although magic was my ultimate solution to that duo.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 pm

With the right gear magic gets very powerful very fast.
    PhlyingDutchman
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 pm

DoughGuy wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for what i should make my fire weapon (prefer not to use Quelaag's as i have no demon titanite atm) and any strategies I can use for O&S?

The Fire Zweihander + 10 is the most amazing weapon I ever created. I made it in NG and still use it in NG++ (although I think when I solo'ed O&S the other night I technically used my Zwei+15 with charcoal resin). I think the attack rating is in the 750s. The running attack is great against super Ornstein. You can sprint under his attacks and between his legs, and the running attack arcs high, so it clobbers him in the... belt.

Mobility is key. Make sure you have fast rolls, so that you can dodge the big attacks as well as retreat behind the pillars to heal. You don't want to lose all your stamina blocking attacks and have nothing left to counter with, because after they attack is their moment of vulnerability. I wholeheartedly agree with using the Eagle Shield, but try to only block the attacks that you definitely cannot dodge.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 am

Klosterheim wrote:I have an INT build, but getting the eagle shield to +10 early in my career is probably one of the smartest things I did.

Yeah. I included it in that guide for that very reason, it only weighs 6, so pretty much anyone can use it. I happen to use it on bosses a lot on my main char because he's a dex/faith build but it applies to anyone with any build really. Obviously more strengthy/tanky builds can feel free to use whatever shield they like, but a tower shield is a must unless you enjoy being guard crushed by the chuckle brothers IMO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm