Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Bito
DxV04
Yarxov
Maneater_Mildred
Forum Pirate
DarkW17
FruitPunchNinja
CrackSouls
befowler
reim0027
callipygias
aceluby
eninala
Gol
skarekrow13
Rin
Rynoa
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Tolvo
cloudyeki
mugenis4real
ViralEnsign_
Baiulus
27 posters

I can't say I'm against forest farmers

befowler
    befowler

I can't say I'm against forest farmers - Page 2 Empty Re: I can't say I'm against forest farmers

Post by befowler Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm

As others said, the forest is lawless. At one end of the spectrum, you can get great 1v1 duels in there with hosts or even summons who act honorably, not using healing items, with other FHs calmly waiting their turns for duels and everyone bowing to each other and the slain. At the other end of the spectrum, you can get 3-4 max level campers standing around your spawn point to gank you with greatswords/hammers, and then when they kill you they spam rude gestures as if they accomplished something.

The latter are the ones people hate, and unfortunately they are by far the most common experience in the forest. They will do every single cheap shot in the book, and then if you still manage to kill off all their summons and have them on the run they will disconnect rather than face the music. Hating that sort of behavior isn't just natural, it's a civic duty. There's also a significant trolling factor, as the disconnect farmers are also likely to then send you an insulting pm to try to goad you into a flamewar. I usually just respond with Brick quotes ("I like lamp") and try to waste their time in hopes some FH is backstabbing them while they read my msg.

I can't say I'm against forest farmers - Page 2 Empty Re: I can't say I'm against forest farmers

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

You know there are people who farm in the forest while hosting solo. Not all farmers triple team spawn points.

@Rin my avatar is Maria from the Claymore manga.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:48 pm

befowler wrote:I usually just respond with Brick quotes ("I like lamp") and try to waste their time in hopes some FH is backstabbing them while they read my msg.
    I like lamp! Hilarious. I'm going to remember that.

I tried to honestly farm in the forest, tried honestly hosting. I would summon whites to duel. Many times, when they realized I wasn't ganking, they would BC out. Look Skyward

There is a difference between lawless and honorless.

/high horse.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:19 pm

There are solo farmers in the forest indeed. I love those guys. I've had some awesome forest duels and many a shout out goes to the soloists. I had one that I kept running into. Must have fought him four or five times. He used TWoP, was a flipping tank with one of the masks and a huge stunlocking sword. He beat me up a lot. I say...."Well done sir." My frustration at TWoP is no different than other duelers I faced who had no idea how to defend my best tactic (hint: I pretend they are wheat that is need of a rapid harvesting).
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm

FARMER TARKUUUUUS!!!!

The soloists are the best to fight with. One on ones on my turf happy
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Lol......gonna git that wheat good!
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Reading many of your stories, especially you Tolvo, has given me hope.

Although I will say my past experiences with the forest are awful. Every time I try to host for dueling, I get ganked or backstab fished, and usually a "Well What Is It" to finish it off... Pisses me off to no end.
    I happened to be human going to fight Sif today and I was invaded constantly with no sign of a phantom to help me or kindness on the blue's part. I ended up sprinting to the boss just to end the damn experience. Meh, I should've known better and signed out of PSN.

Think I'll stick to just Fight Club, actually...
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:20 pm

FWIW - if I'm questing in the forest and don't want to be invaded, I speed run to Alvina and join her covenant. Now, all the enemies leave me alone and I don't get invaded.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Every single 'duel' I've had in the forest has always been a BS fisher. Not once have I had anything close to honorable there, which is why I've never looked there for duels, just not worth my time.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm

well reim pretty much said everything i think, although you can be invaded while a member of forest covenant(makes it a quick run tho). Overall i think the hosts and summons who gank and 3vs1 are people who just lost tons of times in pvp and decided to just be as cheap as possible ext. I dont mind them being in the game, it can be fun fighting them,although when they interrupt dueling sessions its annoying. I also tryed doing the whole forest cove 1vs3 thing and it can be fun, but in the end its just backstabs and avoiding backstabs.

Imagine this, in the next souls game they made it so hosts and phantoms could cause friendly dmg. It would be a huge change and i can see the downsides but it has many benefits too. It would make it so noobs would get ganked just trying to get help which is imo the biggest problem with it. I personally think it would be cool not knowing who you could trust, and also the change in strategy since you couldnt just all rush in swinging like crazy. If the next souls game has no ninja flipping tanks and they reduce the amounts of exploits i will die a happy man, but the friendly damage would be really cool i think.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm

reim0027 wrote:Calli - you are reporting someone just for ganking you? I understand your frustration, but don't waste your time. This happens in every pvp game. You need to get used to it. Just don't let it drag you down to their level. Continue to fight with honor, or else the gankers win.

I was just kidding. It was Lautrec and his buds I invaded. I'll never complain about gankers since From obviously intended it as part of Dark Souls.

*edit* AND since I never invade!

Last edited by callipygias on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Lol pretty much what Skarekrow said....if I do find a solo host TWOP and fish BS seems the normal....all tho I have encountered several hosts looking for fair duels and have had many a fellow hunter standing aside waiting there turn to duel...if they do attack I stop and start kicking the hunter to show my dissaproval!!

I would say about 80% of my forest experience has been a host and his 2 sunbros running around ganking anything that moves with the cheapest tactics tho. The few times I have been lucky enough to have a 2V2....almost everytime the phantom/host I am fighting breaks off me and tries to tag team attack the other hunter...seriously. I have also put down both phantoms solo and had the host disconnect or suicide several times!

I think everyone knows the forest is a free for all but that doesn't give anyone the right to gank 3V1 anyone for souls...especially in the forest were soul levels are tossed out and the hunters could be low level going against several high lvl payers. I mean I am lvl 225 and sometimes I feel bad if I roll in with a buffed great club slam and OHKO a phantom...so ill put out velka and give the host a chance!

The good news is that for every herd of 3V1 griefers there will always be a high lvl anti-griefer like me out there trying my hardest to shut them down!!!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 pm

callipygias wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:Calli - you are reporting someone just for ganking you? I understand your frustration, but don't waste your time. This happens in every pvp game. You need to get used to it. Just don't let it drag you down to their level. Continue to fight with honor, or else the gankers win.

I was just kidding. It was Lautrec and his buds I invaded. I'll never complain about gankers since From obviously intended it as part of Dark Souls.

*edit* AND since I never invade!
    LOL, missed that one. Look Skyward

1,000th post! Praise the Sun
    (for reals this time, Rant).
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:12 pm

I never bother to expect duels anywhere. I just assume i'm going to be jumped. I don't like being ganked either but by assumeing its what's going to happen I minimise the chance that i'm caught off guard.

However the gankers are the scum of the earth.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Every time i try to host in the forest, all that i get is forest hunters going for the 2 vs me.... So will you please all shut up about how forest hunters have more honor, blah blah blah...

both sides are as bad as each other.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

I think we just all have different experiences when hosting in the forest, I typically have very great duels while hosting in the forest. I actually had a red stick around once because he wanted to act as my bodyguard one time when I was gravelording, nice fellow. He would duel a spirit who came in, and when he'd win I'd drop a humanity for him. Eventually he died, so I bowed to him and the invader bowed, I dropped a humanity for him, he healed up. And we duelled, killed me as well because the red was better than me so through logic this guy was obviously better than me at duelling.

On regards to solo duellists, I don't call those people farmers. They aren't farming in my books, they're duelling. I exclusively use the term farmers to refer to the gankgers, so don't get confused and assume I hate the duellists there too, I love those guys. Hell, I am a solo duellist there from time to time hosting to give my fellow hunters a break from all the ganking.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:54 pm

One thing the OP does not recognize is that the main difference between Farmers and multiple invaders is that the Farmers CHOOSE to farm, while the invaders have no control on which person the invade. And if another invader comes into the forest for a 2v1 it's the hosts fault for being human in a PvP hotspot without help. Some phantoms will wait and 1v1, but, hosts never do that when they have 2 buddies to gang people intentionally so why should random invaders do the same?

This thread was a bad idea.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Yeah, this thread does just kind of invite argument.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 pm

That's what fambly does though
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Rynoa wrote:
    This guy was a pro in tracking and killing any invader within seconds from the messages, it kinda scared me. Instead, I noticed most of the invaders were low levels and very inexperienced.

So, I think the disparity comes with the fact that most farmers are pros and very good at farming without mercy, while most hunters are inexperienced players (this covenant is indeed available easily at the early stages of the game).

Well said Rynoa. That is exactly what happens. So then the inexperienced FH grow up to have a hate for farmers. My first experience as a FH, I think I was level 30. I invade I am received by a TWoP and a Gant and a Dragon weapon. Then these guys act like they are so good. So someone of my personality will just find a way to get back at them.

So yea I agree farming other players is probably designed into the game and I also agree the forest is not a place for "honorable pvp" but do not attempt to equate Forest Hunters with Gankers and Farmers. They fight for different reasons.

Finally, I wish that FH would invade as Spirits of Vengeance because that is what most of the FH covenant become.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 pm

callipygias wrote:I just started a new character yesterday. I wanted the Dingy Skirt so I let Lautrec kill Anastacia. I haven't done that in a while. You know what happened when I invaded him? Bastard ganked me! 3 v 1!!! I'm reporting it to Fromsoft.

LOL but he did not spam you while you where spawning so it does not equate silly nice try tho.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Forest Hunters can do no wrong. Their always right. No matter what.

@OP That's all your going to hear on the forums because while our little minority is in fact honorable, they hardly understand what it's like on the other side of two blue phantoms and a red attacking a lone host. Posting a thread such as this where you state your point of view based on your own experience will only succeed in giving you negative reputation although if you noticed I'm giving you positive just to counteract the hate. Forest is anything goes, neither side should complain at the end of the day.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Well yea the words honorable and forest do not go together. But again what came first the chicken or the egg. This is where you lost "credibility" by saying your little minority is in fact honorable, (if there is any credibility to be lost) and could be judged as an attempt to stir the pot.

People should just stop using the word honorable when talking about the forest. In fact no one who is in the forest is looking for an honorable time. Even host who wait by themselves.

So it was designed as such that people would camp and destroy low level inexperienced players who would then become powerful and knowledge able in PvP and you have what we have today.

This is what gives this game legs IMO.

Last edited by DxV04 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Oh no, some hunters can be THE biggest tools ever. Usually they're rocking all the gear a gander would have, and rush in and murder everything in the way, red, gold, white and host. These types I'll try to parry their hits and let the host escape.

It's just your more likely to find these types fighting by themselves against farmers.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Oh no, some hunters can be THE biggest tools ever. Usually they're rocking all the gear a gander would have, and rush in and murder everything in the way, red, gold, white and host. These types I'll try to parry their hits and let the host escape.

It's just your more likely to find these types fighting by themselves against farmers.

And you think they did that on their very first forest hunter adventure?

Only if they have had the game for a long time and just decided to join the hunter covenant because they have not done so before.

So tell me cloud. have you been a forest hunter and if so when? when you first got the game or later?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am