Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
FruitPunchNinja
WyrmHero
Tolvo
Whknight
RANT
Kirk-Barb
10 posters

New Gamer Thoughts

Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New Gamer Thoughts Empty New Gamer Thoughts

Post by Kirk-Barb Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm about 6 hours into the game and enjoying myself. Unfortunately getting invaded has been unpleasant at best. My first invasion came at level 5 in Undead Burg where I had gotten a little confused on my direction while looking for the Undead Merchant. I turned a corner and took an electric axe in the face from a foe in some type of demonic plate. He sent me a message to inform me he had captured it on Youtube and it was really funny. My next several invasions were a little better as I learned watching my crack red orbs go dark was an early indication of impending invasion. Unfortunately my armor is chain and my best weapon for my stats is a longsword. Against the great axes, swords, and black energy hands of my invaders I stand no chance. I count my success by the amount of time I last and the number of hits I can land. I was about to throw in the towel and just play hollow when I was invaded by a ninja/bandit armed with a pair of wicked looking daggers. I had decided to use my spear this time and had chosen to battle in a small upper room you must jump to from a roof. My foe did not take long to find me and jumped in with me. I waited at the far end for him to get his bearings. He attacked viciously, but I fended off everything with my shield and footwork. For 5 minutes he sought my death and for the entire time I avoided being backstabbed. Best of all I managed to land hits of my own with my spear. A whole 1-3 points of damage. What I couldn't completely avoid was the parry/counterstike. I knew how it worked because of the skeletons in the Firelink Graveyard, but there was some lag and I couldn't always be sure of my foe's exact location. He got me 4 times, but I managed at least 20 hits on him. However his health bar had hardly moved, and I was now at 2 health. I decided at this time I didn't want to die where I was and so retreated out of the room and back to the open area near the campfire, usually overlooked by the crossbowman. My opponent was hard on me, but I made it. Once there I stepped back away and dropped my guard and waited. He hesitated a moment and then finished me. I felt victorious!!! If we had been equally equiped I would have won. I had controled the entire fight. Embolded by the fight I once more went adventuring as a human. Not 5 minutes later I'm invaded again, by the same ninja/bandit. I ready my shield and longsword and prepare to sell my humanity hard. But he didn't attack. Instead he dropped off a Black Knight sword and shield and suicided off a ledge. He also sent me a message welcoming to Dark Souls and wished me many hours of fun and adventure. The lesson? If I had given up and played hollow I would have missed that great moment and my gaming experince would have been lesser for it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

New Gamer Thoughts Empty Re: New Gamer Thoughts

Post by RANT Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 pm

cool story dude, low level griefers suck but once you're past the depths they go away and you wont get invaded as much. just keep doing what you are doing and if you have any questions just ask, dark souls has an awesome community but of course there's a lot of bad apples too. try to upgrade all your equipment as much as you can before leveling up, your equipment is more important than leveling up. welcome to the wiki.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:56 pm

The first few areas are annoying because of various reasons, but after you get into the other areas of the game it mellows out and becomes more fun. It may become frustrating at times, but like Rant said there is an awesome community for Dark Souls and we have a wiki that contains alot of information in the game. Welcome to Dark Souls, welcome to between a rock and a hard place New Gamer Thoughts 639795459 Praise the sun!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 pm

It is always great when you find the nice invaders, I will drop items for newer players as well but I typically stay out of the Burg and Parish for invasions, I don't like to scare new players. Welcome to Dark Souls and welcome to the forums. I know it is a bit difficult but as they mentioned, usually the griefers are gone after the depths. By the way if you ever are in need of assistance never forget about the wiki, and don't be afraid to ask for help on a tough boss in the player help section. As well if you are ever looking for tips and tricks in PvP or PvE you can find the PvP advice thread in the PvP section. In my signature is the forst hunters tactics thread. And in the covenant section you can find the Praise The Sunbros thread where they might be able to offer you advice on Co-Op and boss encounters. Good luck, and have fun.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Fun read, but man how I hate griefers. The last one was at least honorable. If someone invades you again and you feel frustrated and want some help, please add me on PSN. I'll make an anti-griefing class according to your soul level, and I'll defend you.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:13 am

welcome to dark souls! sounds like you are off to a good start. I invade low lvl a lot and try to get some pvp with new players, i use base lvl gear so its fair and dont backstab unless they are really open(it doesnt kill them). I also drop weapons but i like to drop stuff you can use lol a black knight sword is useless to you at the moment, i drop fire spears and fire longswords.

Never got why people enjoy bullying new players, it takes no effort and is boring. I just like to show new players that pvp can be fun if both players are honorable, and show them that there are honorable players out there. so many of the campers who spawn gank are players who were trolled by invaders when they first started.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:02 am

That's right, I was thinking about doing that in the Kiln. I was having nice duels, then a *** BS fisher BSed the hell out of me. I said "I'm gonna gank him with 2 sunbros, I swear" He didnt invade again.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:07 am

Thats cool man, thats the way to play the game IMO. And you always have the choice to play hollow too if you need to get some where ASAP. Welcome to the forum.
    Bawheidbob
    Bawheidbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Bawheidbob Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:17 am

Nice read - I am new to this game myself but i am never in human form long enough to get invaded because i die all the time. happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:33 am

That's how it always is at the start. I still remember when I first discovered what bleed was. I was invaded by a low level griefer with a lightning Uchi, who bleed me through my shield and confused the hell out of me.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:33 am

Hi there and welcome. Like everyone else I'd like to welcome you to the amazing experience that is Dark Souls and to this wiki in particular because there are a lot of great people on here who will only be too glad to help you out if you get stuck. And you don't have to be a newbie to get stuck believe me.

I'm so glad that your last invader was a decent chap or chappess and it hasn't put you off.

The only advice I'm going to offer you is DONT EVER GIVE UP. There will be times when you will feel like doing just that but believe me when I say you CAN do it and you will.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:38 am

Giving up is for groups of people that do not get offended at me namedropping them.
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
    RantForRant: I have followed your advice on upgrading equipment first, but so far I've had only a single titanite drop. A visit to the imprisoned smith in New Lando and my long sword is +1. I have also visited every corner of Fire link and Undead Burg and pretty much bought out the Burg merchant. I took the master key, so I have the equipment from Dake Land.... though I traded some souls and humanity to the great Stone? - Bone? dragon to get it. I'm thinking it's time to move on, unless I'm missing something.
    Bawheidbob: Some beginner advise to you. Magic and bow are your friends. Once I purchased the magic stick and spells from the imprisoned smith in New Lando and bought the short bow from the Burg merchant, I found I could make my way around Undead Burg and Fire link with little trouble. Which means you can rack up souls to purchase equipment and level up. Not going to help you against invaders though.
    FruitPunchNinja: You are right about me not being able to use the gifts the ninja/bandit left me. It will be a while before my stats will be high enough. I didn't mention it in case he read my post. I didn't want him to think I didn't appreciate the gifts. I'm sure the Black Knight fought him hard before giving the equipment up.
    WyrmHero: Speaking of Black Knights. I'm working up the courage to take on the one in Undead Burg guarding the nice shiny. My only concern, besides the fight itself, is getting into the fight and getting invaded and then backstabbed. At my beginner status I have only mastered the combat technique of "Death by a Thousand Cuts". Which means my battle will take awhile. I might just take you up on the offer of a bodyguard. But before you go to all of the trouble to create a new character and take time away from playing your main one, let me try one of the many white runes offering help just outside the campfire area. Shoot, if they do a good job I might reward them with a fight with the big scary hammer guy in the tower basement, who has already turned me into a blood splat once.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:51 am

"Magic stick," that's awesome. But yes, having ranged attack is so very valuable, especially at the start. Sniping and Pulling (they're cops!) is huge in Dark souls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm