Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
ChizFreak
FruitPunchNinja
Doelker
PsychoCT
Zechk
Rynoa
kejsan
Yukon
Railage
CrackSouls
BartholomewWenceslas
Whknight
RANT
Serious_Much
laezyre
19 posters

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?  - Page 2 Empty Re: If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

Post by ublug Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:42 am

Dragon's Dogma looks promising, hope it turns out good.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-dragons-dogma/728681
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCiV4LOYk4
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DragonsDogmaOfficial

The gametrailers preview says its developed by the team behind devil may cry, and that the combat resembles monster hunter more than the souls series, which can't be all bad.
    It looks more like a classic quest driven rpg, compared to the souls games. The vast open world looks rich and explorable as well, with a day/night system. What usually kills it for me is the fighting mechanics, can't stand button mashers and menu based point-and-click combat. I need 1:1 combat where player skills actually makes a difference, not just the gear and level of your character. Hope it's not a grind fest either. Fingers crossed.
    Klosterheim
    Klosterheim
    Casual
    Casual

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?  - Page 2 Empty Re: If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

Post by Klosterheim Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:20 pm

I also vote for the monster hunter series.

It is _not_ Dark Souls. You will not start playing it and say, "Wow, this is exactly like Dark Souls!"

But they are kindred spirits, for sure. The worlds are quiet and eerie, the major creature battles are well designed and (often) difficult, the different offensive choices are intriguing, and you could spend 100s and 100s of hours on it if you want and still enjoy it.
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:15 am

Well I bought a used version of Demon Soul's for $16 at gamestop and have beaten the phalynx and giant knight bosses so far. It's about as close to DS as you can get. Having fun. It feels like a prequel.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure it won't be long before I finish at this rate.
    I do have a decent PC, so maybe the witcher II or Diablo III is in order.
    BTW, are the new ps3's able to run ps2 games? If so, I'll look for monster hunters.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:07 am

Dragons Dogma looks pretty great, I'll keep my eye on that one.
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:37 am

Dragons Dogma looks like a huge time sink. I'm almost afraid to buy it.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 pm

i really wish i had a gaming pc. if dark souls gets a pc port i will be so jealous. also anyone heard of the game Legend of Grimrock? its got a very old school gameplay style but it looks soooo fun i want it but cant play it....
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Does that require a gaming pc? It looks very old school. I miss the turn based old school RPG's. Those were the most tactical/strategic. I am less fond of the click-on-the-icon combat, but it looks fun anyways. It brings back memories of many games I played.
    bla
    Regular
    Regular

Post by bla Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:20 am

My suggestion: Severance blade of darkness (blade the edge of darkness in USA I think). An underdog no one knows about that in my opinion is the only game that rivals the souls series combat system. I actually discovered dark souls trying to find a sucessor for it.
    However it's not an rpg, it's a pure meele action game it's pc only and it's old (2001 I believe). Also very hard. Still play it still great fun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm