Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+58
TheLolrider
tinypantha
vatar5
ThatPerson
Peeffy
dianaduh
tobajas
bendtosquares
Orango19
Cyan-Hawk
PaPaSmVrf
Glogomog
Scirvir
About8547Souls
Shabbalaba
Loken
BishopHavel
Dark Souls PRO
Darkson
MutilatedRelic
MediocritasAurea
Emergence
raecor14
Wilkinson3424
Chaos Spectre
eminusx
Madara
McTwisterson
Ghadis_God
Leeroy_Jenkins
FattyOfDoom
Federally
Carphil
Serious_Much
PlasticandRage
trinity-echo
Eolan
Buggy Virus
Spurgun
Siegleyn
befowler
User
Maneater_Mildred
Wade_Wilson
Saturnine Knight
Shkar
barrywilkins
TehInfamousAmos
Quarik
ViralEnsign_
cloudyeki
Imarreteet23
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Tolvo
Yukon
JY4answer
DoughGuy
62 posters

There's more to them

GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

There's more to them - Page 35 Empty Re: There's more to them

Post by GrinTwist Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:18 am

So recently I just started a new PVP character and killed Petrus a little to early than I should have. That doesn't matter but when I was fighting the bodyguards today I was in a bit of a critical thinking mood and decided on looking a bit further into their dialogue. This also brings in some speculation on the Way of White as well. So let's get started.

The Talking Bodyguard:

The Way of White:

The Silent Bodyguard:

This is all just speculation of course, but I find the need to give everything I see a back story now.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 am

I've gone on record saying the one at least has feelings for her. The blasphemy idea is intriguing but he's the only seemingly happy one. I made a post on all four being church archetypes. He was the one who I considered as actually devout.

edit: Of course I could be way off
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:22 pm

I think he might just be happy just because he was able to live for a bit longer then he was supposed to. I don't know if he joined because he thinks he might actually complete his quest or because he just wanted to extend his lifetime but either way it seems like he is content in his current situation.

All four of them don't exactly come off as what we originally think of them, especially Petrus.

Actually while I'm here I might as well throw a bit of a theory out that may have been discussed before about Petrus.

You see I don't think he is actually apart of the Church. Let's take into consideration that his armor is different from the rest, this may in fact symbolize that he has some rank over the other nights or the exact opposite. What I find interesting though is that these knights normally use maces and axes to fight, like say the morning star.

I think those items that we pick up that are from under the elevators were put there by Petrus. What interests me the most though is that we also find cracked red eye orbs, meaning that Petrus may be an invader into another person's world, a person that is now dead because of Petrus. Who Petrus really is though, I don't know.

From what I can tell he is either some random invader (although I doubt it) or he is an assassin that may have been hired by the Church to make sure these three fail. To me this makes sense because all three of these people are criminals in the church's eyes. Reah is a hollow and possibly a woman that had an affair while inside the church, there is her possible lover who I'm sure is there because of his affair with Reah, and then the blasphemer. All of which are worthy of death in the Church's eyes.
    Arkental

Post by Arkental Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 am

I have recently been pondering about Priscilla and her weapon of choice, the scythe, in particular regarding the feared life-hunt ability she had.

My personal thoughts on this so far: I believe the scythe is important here. It's not a sword, not a spear, not an axe. It's a scythe, originally a tool meant for harvest rather than a weapon (but obviously with pointy and sharp bits someone decided it could perform both duties quite well).

And then there is Seath and his quest for immortality. I believe that he has dabbled with humanity in his efforts to gain it, whether before he had his crystal, or he is still exploring every avenue since the crystal is obviously not foolproof. His picasas drop humanity frequently, and I believe I read somewhere that they might have been infused with humanity until they broke and were deformed into the nightmarish creatures we see today, or that he had already altered them into something more serpent-like prior to the infusions. Regardless, Seath seems to have been in need of a steady supply of humanity.

So let's assume Seath needed humanity and Priscilla is his daughter/creation. I believe her purpose may have been to harvest humanity in large quantities, ie life-hunt. With the scythe symbolizing this through the links to harvesting. Her then being his harvester/reaper.

So why did the gods lock her away? She was a successful experiment, a highly effective tool created by Seath. They might have feared that a) she could harvest their souls, or b) that she could simply allow Seath to actually create immortal beings now, effectively creating new gods.

Apologies for the rambling, I will admit to not reading through every post in the 57 pages so if this has been mentioned and/or debunked already then I might have missed it (did google a bit though).
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:21 am

That hasn't been mentioned before and its actually a really good idea Ark. +1.
    Arkental

Post by Arkental Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 am

Thank you, I can try to elaborate later today if I get the time. At work right now so had to make a rough sketch of my thoughts on it.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am

I like the idea. Keep it going. The only thing I personally don't agree with (others do) is that she was locked away by anyone.
    dianaduh
    dianaduh
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by dianaduh Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 am

maybe this is pure coincidence, but I was searching about who were the gods or goddess of fire and I found something interesting about Coatlicue from the aztec mythology.
    It's said that she's the goddess of fire and fertility, of life, death and rebirth.
    It's also said that after her sons cut her head off, two serpents came from the blood spurt and one of her sons came to save her, he was the god of sun and war.
    Arkental

Post by Arkental Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:41 am

Right, time to elaborate a bit on the scythe.

It is a tool/weapon with connections to mythology that might be relevant, assuming they have drawn inspiration from various religions when they created the setting. If anyone are unaware as to what the scythe was originally used for, it was a farming tool to cut grass or reap crops, and also as a makeshift weapon for commoners unable to pay the cost for "proper" weapon. It was also later adapted for warfare by turning the blade to point away from the soldier, creating a weapon resembling a fauchard (sword-onna-stick). The Black Knight Halberd is actually the weapon in the game most resembling this form of it, with the basic weapon named Scythe also being closer to a war-scythe than the original farming tool. But back to Priscilla's weapon. This is a scythe in the tool form, not a war-scythe. Also worth mentioning that the second weapon carrying this type of model in the game is the Great Scythe.

The scythe has made an appearance in mythology several times. In particular it is worth mentioning how it is connected to the Grim Reaper. Being notoriously bad around plants and anything living, he generally uses it to reap souls. This might be an important connection to the game. Not Priscilla as a "Death" type of figure, that role is pretty much covered by Nito even though I see him more as a Hades kind of guy. But the purpose of her scythe being to harvest humanity (shards of the dark soul) and/or souls sounds to me like an angle worth exploring.

Before I go there I should also mention other apperances the scythe makes in mythology. There are of course the four horsemen, among them Death. He often makes an appearance with a scythe in his hands.

The third example is Cronus (check wikipedia for more information). Who could be relevant as there seems to be inspiration based on greek mythology in the game. In particular his fate (one of them anyway) is to be locked away in the cave of Nyx for all eternity after the war between titans and olympians. But I have to admit it's too early in the morning for me to attempt drawing parallels to a character from greek mythology without my brain melting.

As for the imprisonment, I can see how you might disagree. Especially with the text on the peculiar doll which makes it sound like she had a desire to get away from the world. Regardless I believe the world on the outside was a unsafe for her. If she could indeed be used by Seath to harvest what he needed to achieve immortality, then what would stop them from creating more immortal beings. I don't see the gods being too fond of her very existence if that could be true.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

Good research. I would agree the outside world would be unsafe for her actually. Item descriptions definitely portray her as ostracized and a potential threat to the gods. We all know how much they like that idea.
    TheNewMessiah
    TheNewMessiah

Post by TheNewMessiah Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 am

Have we formed a story for Manus yet?
    I do not know much about him, but I would like to add that the ring he stands in has a humanity-shaped piece in the middle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am