We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Share
    avatar
    Glueguy
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 73
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-14

    We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Glueguy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:38 am

    I've seen more than one thread talking about boss weapons. I gave my two cents on the subject in one of the threads and then I started digging. Went through this list of boss weapons on the wiki to see what works and what people don't like. Then I scoured the internet for videos and forum posts of success stories of boss weapons. Everything from the Dragon Bone Fist to the Greatlord Greatsword and Chaos Blade.

    There are two weapons that get zero love. Smough's Hammer and The Golem Axe. I'm currently leveling up my str character and I thought I'd see if the community can weigh in on how they view these two weapons.

    Smough's Hammer needs a HUGE commitment to one hand this beast and frankly I don't think one hand is worth it. It's running attack is decent and maybe borderline good. The r2 is pretty bad though. Jumping attack comes out as quick as the murakumo. Not sure how it dead angles though.

    Golem Axe seems to get no love just because the greataxe is similar and people argue it's better. I don't have any experience with this axe so I'm relying on one of you to help educate me on this weapon till I can get it with my new character.

    Thoughts, opinoins?


    _________________
    PSN: DoubleDuskDOTcom (Primary account)
    theglueguy (ran out of charater slots account)
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 30
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by WyrmHero on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 am

    Smough's Hammer is a trolling weapon FROM made to make you say "Why the *** I spent all this strength points on this ****?"


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 30
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by WyrmHero on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:45 am

    Actually, does it have the two handed rolling attack like the other Great Hammers? I would like to test if this weapon has something good actually.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 828
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by JY4answer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:23 am

    There's this japanese player that posted a series of videos using the Golem Axe. Pretty neat I'd say. Its like the str version of the MLGS. He mixed those with the bonwheel sheild L2, and the startup looks very similar. That means rolling into him might get you a faceful of chaos bones.
    avatar
    Glueguy
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 73
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-14

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Glueguy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:47 am

    The running, rolling, and jumping attacks for the hammer are fairly good attacks. I don't know about stunlock capabilities, the attacks come out pretty fast if I recall but I never see anyone using it so my memory may be failing me.


    JY4: I'd be interested in seeing the video. I was wondering what kind of damage the R2 does and if the knockback is significant.. The wiki's only say it's identical to the bosses attack :\ The other weapons with special attacks are suprisingly good. I've killed more than one WoG spammer just because they weren't expecting the Dragonking Great Hammer R2.


    We are almost a half year after release and it seems like the meta is still unfolding a bit and people are still finding new uses for weapons. I'm interested to see what happens next.


    _________________
    PSN: DoubleDuskDOTcom (Primary account)
    theglueguy (ran out of charater slots account)
    avatar
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 2021
    Reputation : 56
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Northern Ireland

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Wade_Wilson on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:51 am

    Even with 450 base damage at +5, smough's hammer should be buffed from D scaling in str to S. Im serious, it requires 60 strength to one hand and 40 strength just to two hand.

    The golem axe is pretty good IMO, i like the moveset but the I think it should scale B-E


    _________________
    Golden rays of the glorious sunshine, sending down such a blood-red light
    Now the animals slowly retreat to the shadows, out of sight
    Arid winds blow across the mountains, giving flight to the birds of prey
    In the distance machines come to transform Eden, day by day
    Only love is with us now, something warm and pure!
    Find the peace within ourselves, no need for the cure!
    avatar
    Glueguy
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 73
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-14

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Glueguy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 am

    Wade_Wilson wrote:Even with 450 base damage at +5, smough's hammer should be buffed from D scaling in str to S. Im serious, it requires 60 strength to one hand and 40 strength just to two hand.

    The golem axe is pretty good IMO, i like the moveset but the I think it should scale B-E

    I don't know how to say this without sounding mean, nowhere in the topic was it asking what should be changed about these weapons. I was opening up a discussion on why you think they are good or bad. Telling us what From should do doesn't really help at all. If you think they are bad, that's fine. You don't think they are competitive just say so. But please don't help this get derailed into another thread about what the game SHOULD be instead of what it is.


    _________________
    PSN: DoubleDuskDOTcom (Primary account)
    theglueguy (ran out of charater slots account)
    avatar
    Glueguy
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 73
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-14

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Glueguy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:51 am

    Does anyone know if just the weapon class (great hammer, etc) or if weight or base damage affects how well you break their poise? If weight has any effect, you might be able to argue that smough's hammer weighing twice the amount of the great club is a good thing. But if not, then the great club will likely outclass smough's hammer straight up since when you two hand at 40 str the GC has 5 more attack rating.


    _________________
    PSN: DoubleDuskDOTcom (Primary account)
    theglueguy (ran out of charater slots account)
    avatar
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 828
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by JY4answer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 am

    Glueguy wrote:The running, rolling, and jumping attacks for the hammer are fairly good attacks. I don't know about stunlock capabilities, the attacks come out pretty fast if I recall but I never see anyone using it so my memory may be failing me.


    JY4: I'd be interested in seeing the video. I was wondering what kind of damage the R2 does and if the knockback is significant.. The wiki's only say it's identical to the bosses attack :\ The other weapons with special attacks are suprisingly good. I've killed more than one WoG spammer just because they weren't expecting the Dragonking Great Hammer R2.


    We are almost a half year after release and it seems like the meta is still unfolding a bit and people are still finding new uses for weapons. I'm interested to see what happens next.

    Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNV1en8lwBo&feature=related
    avatar
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 828
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by JY4answer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:04 am

    Glueguy wrote:Does anyone know if just the weapon class (great hammer, etc) or if weight or base damage affects how well you break their poise? If weight has any effect, you might be able to argue that smough's hammer weighing twice the amount of the great club is a good thing. But if not, then the great club will likely outclass smough's hammer straight up since when you two hand at 40 str the GC has 5 more attack rating.

    I'm rather confident that weight matters. Chaos Blade stuns better than uchi/Iaito, DSS stuns way better then other spears, GLGS stuns way way way better than other GSs (apart from MLGS depending on magic defense).
    avatar
    Glueguy
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 73
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-14

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Glueguy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:13 am

    JY4answer wrote:
    Glueguy wrote:The running, rolling, and jumping attacks for the hammer are fairly good attacks. I don't know about stunlock capabilities, the attacks come out pretty fast if I recall but I never see anyone using it so my memory may be failing me.


    JY4: I'd be interested in seeing the video. I was wondering what kind of damage the R2 does and if the knockback is significant.. The wiki's only say it's identical to the bosses attack :\ The other weapons with special attacks are suprisingly good. I've killed more than one WoG spammer just because they weren't expecting the Dragonking Great Hammer R2.


    We are almost a half year after release and it seems like the meta is still unfolding a bit and people are still finding new uses for weapons. I'm interested to see what happens next.

    Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNV1en8lwBo&feature=related

    Than animation has to be almost identical from their end. Wow! I am going to have to try something to this effect. Thanks for sharing.


    _________________
    PSN: DoubleDuskDOTcom (Primary account)
    theglueguy (ran out of charater slots account)
    avatar
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 828
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by JY4answer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:28 am

    Glueguy wrote:
    Than animation has to be almost identical from their end. Wow! I am going to have to try something to this effect. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers! Thanks for the reputation
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 30
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by WyrmHero on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 am

    JY4answer wrote:
    Glueguy wrote:Does anyone know if just the weapon class (great hammer, etc) or if weight or base damage affects how well you break their poise? If weight has any effect, you might be able to argue that smough's hammer weighing twice the amount of the great club is a good thing. But if not, then the great club will likely outclass smough's hammer straight up since when you two hand at 40 str the GC has 5 more attack rating.

    I'm rather confident that weight matters. Chaos Blade stuns better than uchi/Iaito, DSS stuns way better then other spears, GLGS stuns way way way better than other GSs (apart from MLGS depending on magic defense).



    When you say stuns better are talking about poise-breaking? Because I've tested the GLGS and the Man Serpent and both stunlock at same poise (53 I think). The R2 does throw the opponent on the floor, but thats not stunlocking....


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by RANT on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 pm

    smough's hammer has the same move set as the large/great club except for the r2, aslso the demon great hammer looks awesome and has the same move set but the r2 is a little different. they all have blunt which drains breaks shields easily but out of all of them the best in terms of damage is the great club but imo the one with the best move set is the large club.

    the golem axe is not as strong as the great axe(which i really like) because it's not a great axe, its a shorter and stronger version of the battle axe, a lot of people think it's a greataxew which makes them think it should be stranger but its actually really strong for what it is, specially the one handed r2 attack, i havent used it alot in pvp cause of its reach but it has good power with 50 str and the special attack always catches people by surprise.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

    Sponsored content

    Re: We've been discussing boss weapons here lately

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 am