Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
bloodpixel
russiannightmare
JY4answer
7 posters

Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords?

JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords? Empty Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords?

Post by JY4answer Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:43 am

At first I was wondering why the claymore had such an awesome moveset. It had a good range, reasonable speed, good damage, and it was everywhere. And then I found out about MLGS. And then GLGS, flamberge, MSGS.

Most other weapon classes are either limited to one or two specific stats, like str (hammers, axes), dex (rapiers, katanas, curved swords). The GS class is the only one where every stat has its own version. There's a great sword for str (MSGS), dex (flamberge), int (MLGS), faith (stoneGS) and a boss great sword (GLGS). All these have their own strengths, like MSGS having good damage, flamberge causes bleed, MLGS has its R2 and magic damage, stone GS has TWoP, and GLGS having awesome stunlock ability. And if you're still not happy, make your own with the claymore!
    They really like this weapon class, don't they. Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords? 639795459

EDIT: I just checked and realised that Stone Great Sword scales with int, not faith. But TWoP is a miracle... huh? Proof that From Software despises WoG spammers! Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords? 3358384175

Last edited by JY4answer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:46 am; edited 2 times in total
    russiannightmare
    russiannightmare
    Addicted
    Addicted

Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords? Empty Re: Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords?

Post by russiannightmare Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:51 am

You're right but its such a versatile class that it would really suck if they all required great str and forgot about everything else.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords? Empty Re: Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords?

Post by bloodpixel Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:03 am

Never too fond of these swords, so it was a pity they focused on it so much.
    Grey-Ronin
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:36 am

I enjoy using great swords, but agree that they got a lot of love from From in Dark Souls. They definitely get more love than straight swords and it seems like FROM wanted you to use great swords instead. Most straight swords have terrible range, don't cause bleed, can't really combo/stun lock and often take a lot of stat investment (Scaling of STR- C DEX-C). Apart from the balder side sword most of them are AVERAGE.

Actually I don't think I've ever seen someone in PvP use a straight sword other than the balder side sword.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:48 am

What's WoP stand for please?
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 am

SlakeMoth wrote:What's WoP stand for please?

Oh sorry. TWoP = Tranquil Walk of Peace, the worst spell in the game.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:49 am

I just checked and realised that Stone Great Sword scales with int, not faith. But TWoP is a miracle... huh? Proof that From Software despises WoG spammers! Is it just me, or is From Software rather fond of great swords? 3358384175
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm

You sound like you're complaining! I rarely ever use them anymore... But they're a very versatile class of weapon, so it's great that many different builds can take advantage of them.

Also: GSoA. I love that weapon! Even though it's not at its best at SL120, it still does decent damage, it's sexy, and I think it has better range than every other greatsword. (I used it a couple times in the Roulette Club!) Too bad its R2s are borderline useless though...
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Well if FROM is going to be putting so much buffing towards great swords I'm glad that I use them then. The only weapon I like more than great swords are halbers because they have the stabbity stab of spears and swing around like great swords and great axes so invest in a halberd today!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am