Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
PlasticandRage
Po1ymorph
SlakeMoth
ChizFreak
Forum Pirate
Carphil
DxV04
bloodpixel
Rynoa
ARSP
callipygias
befowler
meridam99
JY4answer
Sal Paradise
Yesuurd
Whknight
Maneater_Mildred
Gravelord hunter
Emergence
BLA1NE
Tolvo
berkut
Serious_Much
GrEeNgObLiN
FexDS
30 posters

Unreal: Moron tries to sell the wiki on Amazon

Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Unreal: Moron tries to sell the wiki on Amazon - Page 4 Empty Re: Unreal: Moron tries to sell the wiki on Amazon

Post by Whknight Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:51 am

So has Amazon replied back if they are going to do something about it?

Last edited by Whknight on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tolvo is right, no need for more off-topicness)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Unreal: Moron tries to sell the wiki on Amazon - Page 4 Empty Re: Unreal: Moron tries to sell the wiki on Amazon

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:02 am

Let's not start a discussion about that in this thread eh?

I'm curious about Amazon's word as well.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 am

Hi guys

I had to travel to Korea so this has derailed my free-time activities. Im in Seoul for another 3 days but I am sending my signed C&D/DMCA to my lawyer New York and he will be contacting Amazon on our behalf. I should have some sort of reply when I get back to Tokyo.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Also, to sell guides for profit, don't you need the owners permission? From only gave that to the guys who did the real guide.

The whole point of keeping the guides so limited was to keep the game difficult, while giving those who ordered the collectors edition something special for their support.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm

FexDS wrote:Dear all,

I am certain you will be all as surprised as I was when I happened upon this "author" on kindle books who has copied and pasted our wiki into a text file and is attempting to sell it on ebay for the outrageous amount of 3.36 pounds.

Our wiki copyright licence is as follows:

Contributions to http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/ are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution No-Derivative-Works Non-Commercial 3.0 License. Creative Commons Attribution No-Derivative-Works Non-Commercial 3.0 License

Since this person is clearly infringing on our copyright, I will be sending an infringement notice to Amazon and hope to see this account suspended shortly.

However, I believe the community would likely like to share their opinions of this in the seller's page so that some poor hollowed soul doesn't fall for this scam.

Go get 'em.

I've watching this guy's account and he has LOTS of guide of games, all at the same price, and all with that Kindle edition. This guy only does scam and he should be brought to law. This is not the first time, look at his account, he has even TF2 guide, wtf? a guide for Team Fortress 2? That's clearly ripped from their wiki.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 pm

O.K. I published my review on Amazon. Lets hope too many people don't get suckered into buying this before the warnings are published.
    Po1ymorph
    Po1ymorph

Post by Po1ymorph Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Amazing. What a deplorable act. I have left a review of this "product". I have contacted Eurogamer with this info as well, hopefully they will do some journalism on it.

The rest of this persons items seem just as dodgy. Amazon clearly needs to suspend this person account.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi everyone

An update on this: Amazon has acknowledged receipt and confirmed takedown of the infringing content.

Unfortunately our claim pertains only to our copyright so the other copyright owners will have to make their own claims against this scammer.

Regardless, good work everyone and some kudos to Amazon for a quick response to our lawyer's missive.

*Praise the Sun*

Last edited by FexDS on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Joy victory!!! also I think our reviews will be seen by many before buying anything from that author so this is a great thing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:49 pm

good stuff to hear Fex, shame we couldn't take the account down too :|

oh well, win for our lot though big grin
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Way to mobilize! Thanks everyone. Although my review never made it up...
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Emergence wrote:Way to mobilize! Thanks everyone. Although my review never made it up...

Same, maybe our criticisms were a bit too vivid silly
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Emergence review:

Bleep bleeeep bleepity bleep blep. Bleeepy bleep bleep! Bleeeep bleepity bleep blep. Bleeeps bleeps, bleepy bleeps bleep!
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Wiki 1 scammers 0
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Oh man, I was too late on the draw on this one. I really wanted to see his page before it was taken down.

Did they take down his whole profile or just the item related to this wiki?

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Unreal: Moron tries to sell the wiki on Amazon - Page 4 3207319737

nuff' said
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Never mind. I found em.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Emergence wrote:Way to mobilize! Thanks everyone. Although my review never made it up...

I wonder why!
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Awesome job to all those who posted reviews, and a very hearty thank you to the mysterious NY lawyer who made it all happen happy.
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Is the seller that "Tamara Hamtom" person? She/He seems to be selling all of these things for the Kindle, though I can't see any of the reviews you guys posted.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Awesome to hear! Maybe next time they'll think twice! big grin
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Remember: The guilty pay the price...
    Sunbro4evar
    Sunbro4evar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sunbro4evar Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Glad it was took down!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am