Who doesn't use the DWGR?

Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Who doesn't use the DWGR?

Post by Chumgeyser on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Raise your hand if you don't use the Dark Wood Grain Ring on your PvP build, and please share that build. I'm thinking the DWGR is overpowered simply because it seems to make any build better.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Re: Who doesn't use the DWGR?

Post by Tolvo on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't use it for duels and sometimes I go without it in the forest, it does give an over-powered boost but it still isn't necessary if you ask me.

It's a pretty poor build, 40 Vit/End, 19 Att, 22 Dex, 30 Faith, 32 Str, and I can't remember what else. It's a pretty weak build, I'm waiting to replace it with an int toon.
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 pm

i have said this so many times im actually getting tired of my *****(i dont hate the dwgr tho). i use it in all my builds because it is the norm and not using it is a handicap. i just hate how stupid it makes the game look with a bunch of knights in heavy armor doing backflips all over the place.
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Read my signature and I think you can pretty well infer how many of my builds use the ring. I don't care about handicapping myself, I'm fighting a bigger battle, not just against my opponents, but against the meta itself.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Im sure i can play without...

Dark Souls addicted...I love our Fight Club!!!
    Fight Club Level 120 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t3178-fight-club-sl120-psn
    Fight Club Level 225 Thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t1472-fight-club-sl225-psn

bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Although I use DWGR, I would be so much happier if it went away.

Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 pm

my new dragon build doesnt use it and it doesnt need it.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:29 pm

I only use it when I have to deal with a lot of backstabbing so I can return the favor. I would much rather use that ring slot for something else most of the time.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I do not raise my hand silly

PvP without DWGR unfortunately is far more difficult than PvP with it.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm still going through the game for the first time, but I was hoping to get involved in the Fight Club eventually. Does anyone think a Fight Club ban of the DWGR would be a good idea?

I too think it is silly to have everyone, full plate or otherwise, flipping around like acrobats. I'm a build junky (in every game I play) and I just don't see avoiding the DWGR in any kind of min/max build.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:I'm still going through the game for the first time, but I was hoping to get involved in the Fight Club eventually. Does anyone think a Fight Club ban of the DWGR would be a good idea?

I too think it is silly to have everyone, full plate or otherwise, flipping around like acrobats. I'm a build junky (in every game I play) and I just don't see avoiding the DWGR in any kind of min/max build.

A full ban wouldn't be a popular decision i think, but I reckon having no DWGR events would be fun and people would love doing those big grin

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:I'm still going through the game for the first time, but I was hoping to get involved in the Fight Club eventually. Does anyone think a Fight Club ban of the DWGR would be a good idea?

A full ban wouldn't be a popular decision i think, but I reckon having no DWGR events would be fun and people would love doing those big grin

And still Reaperfan sits still...waiting patiently for the day winking

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 pm

yeah, we can always have a no dwgr event which should be fun.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 pm

RantFromRant wrote:yeah, we can always have a no dwgr event which should be fun.

Also if we did a cosplay night, then frankly 0 DWGR would be an acceptable too right? big grin

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 pm

*Raise both hands*

Light roll its absolutely perfect, just like in Demon's souls.

120 dragon build

dragon torso stone, dex weapons, grass crest shield for two handed, canvas talisman and black bow

40 vit

40 end (for dragon roar)

40 dex

16 str

30 faith

Wolfs ring and sometimes I change to phisical, fire, lightning or magic protection rings

Red tearstone

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:

And still Reaperfan sits still...waiting patiently for the day winking

I'm a one build for everything, try to get as much as I can out of the game with one character, type of gamer. Many multi-character gamers just won't be able to understand this um philosphy/fetish/mind-set but I guarantee many players are like me.

It would be great if the Dark Souls makers simply made sense of PvP. Barring that happening the next best thing is for an organization like Fight Club to make sense of PvP and create a bunch of hard and fast rules.

When I started this game I was intent on building my character to level 120. I thought, hey... this is great that the PvP community is doing this on their own. When I started building characters I could see how level 120 was a great compromise level. You quite simply can't have an all powerful character that can do everything at that level. You must compromise. Perfect! This means that you will see a variety of interesting builds competing against one another. I was very disheartened when the thread to start a higher level for Fight Club popped up.

Anyway, I'd like to see Fight Club take a hard stance on PvP rules. If they did it would make us one character gamers very happy big grin
    Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:43 pm

No doubt its really good. But ive never used it and dont use it.

Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:When I started this game I was intent on building my character to level 120. I thought, hey... this is great that the PvP community is doing this on their own.

I was very disheartened when the thread to start a higher level for Fight Club popped up.

Anyway, I'd like to see Fight Club take a hard stance on PvP rules. If they did it would make us one character gamers very happy big grin

We've done alot of things as a community and I think most of us will say Fight Club has become one of the best of those happy

Don't frown on 200+ PvP though, it's just a different way of playing. I like to think of it as similar character structures, but not similar builds. Even though both players will likely be using spells of some sort while flipping around in heavy gear with two kinds of weapons doesn't mean there won't be variety. Even though everyone will be using spells, not everyone will be using the same spells, and even though everyone will be using multiple types of weapons doesn't mean they will all be using the same weapons. Players will still have unique characters and unique styles, just in a different way from 120 PvP.

And hopefully after this vote gets going where we elect a leader of Fight Club, we will have some hard-standing rules and regulations to go off of winking

ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 am

I don't but I only ever used light armour so I never needed to.

PSN- ViralEnsign_

[[11:09:53 p.m.] Robb "the Ensign_": The sexual tension is enough to blow wyrms head off
    [11:10:04 p.m.] Kwith: Woah.
    [11:10:08 p.m.] Kwith: ..Woah.
    [11:10:14 p.m.] Robb "the Ensign_": FATALITY!
    [11:10:16 p.m.] ◥▶️_◀️◤ TehInfamousAmos: AHAHAHAHAHAHA
    [11:10:19 p.m.] Tolvo: You want to see sexual tension.
    [11:10:20 p.m.] ◥▶️_◀️◤ TehInfamousAmos: BEASTIALITY
    Grey-Ronin
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Grey-Ronin on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 am

The extra 25% weight from the DWGR while still moving at full speed is far to good to pass up for melee builds. So all my melee builds use it, but my pure spell caster doesn't need it because it uses light armor and weapons.

For those interested:

Wanderer SL125

VIT 35
    ATT 19
    END 10
    STR 10
    DEX 44
    RES 12
    INT 50
    FAI 28

Rings: Ring of the first born and FAP

Right Hand 1: Logan Catalyst or Crystal Tin
    Right Hand 2: Velka's Rapier
    Left Hand 1: Velka's Talisman
    Left Hand 2: Target Shield

Armour: Dusk Crown and full wanderer's set +10 (fast roll)

Miracles: Wrath of the Gods and Emit Force (maybe greater magic barrier instead of Emit Force)
    Spells: White Dragon Breath, Homing Crystal Soul Mass and Crystal Soul Spear.
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:56 am

I use it for PvE--nobody gets hurt!

But I don't use it for PvP. It's a bit of a self-imposed handicap, but whatever. I use Wolf's with either Havel's or Fap, instead, depending on my weight requirements.

Addicted
    Addicted

I see

Post by Baiulus on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:14 am

Weapons also seem to make any build better. Please stop using them. queen
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 am

Baiulus wrote:Weapons also seem to make any build better. Please stop using them. queen

Unfortunately, there is a very minor misconception with your point that I'm afraid I must point out. Weapon choice defines what kind of build you use, not improves it. The DWGR fits all builds, but not all weapons fit all builds happy

Katakato
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Katakato on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:16 am

It's a great Ring no question & i use it on most of my builds since i like running with 30-40 END but on low END builds i never use it, if i need poise i would rather go with Wolf than DWRG.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:28 am

Reaperfan wrote:
    Baiulus wrote:Weapons also seem to make any build better. Please stop using them. queen

Unfortunately, there is a very minor misconception with your point that I'm afraid I must point out. Weapon choice defines what kind of build you use, not improves it. The DWGR fits all builds, but not all weapons fit all builds happy

If it fits all builds why dont you use it? just because you chose not to use it does not mean everyone has to. not all weapons fit all builds? well i guess elemantel weps could fit most builds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am