Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
daveautomatica
lextune
Johannsny
callipygias
befowler
Nocturnal
Tolvo
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Imarreteet23
dr higglestein
14 posters

What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here.

dr higglestein

What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here. Empty What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here.

Post by dr higglestein Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

What is a forest farmer and why are they hated?
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here. Empty Re: What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here.

Post by Imarreteet23 Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

A forest farmer are people who go to darkroot garden and farm the forest hunters who invade. They are hated because they usually use a phantom to help out, which is extremly unfair.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here. Empty Re: What is a forest farmer? Sorry, new here.

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:04 pm

think gang rapists with zweihanders. half the time they don't even do it for the souls the invaders give them but just because they can troll someone to compenstate for their lack of self esteem. as a forest hunter my opinion may be a little vehement...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 pm

https://youtu.be/QNdsaVr0ePA

Skip to 4 minutes in, the Farmers are kind of hard to miss.
    Nocturnal
    Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:40 pm

God, i wonder what this guys level is.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:54 pm

The invader is SL120 I believe.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:57 pm

That darkwraith farmer at about 13:00 is the lowest thing I've ever seen.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Sadly I'm seeing it more and more in the forest, though I have a little trick for it. I carry a lot of armors on myself at all times, weapons as well. While I have my special weapons and armors close for quick swapping what I'll do is get away, and match my gear exactly to them if I'm a red spirit or if they are a blue invader taking up a slot to block hunters from getting partners to help in invasions. One common thing I see is them using the X head piece so they are easily spotted by their fellow farmers. They can be useful at times though if they have arcing weapons, you can cause friendly fire and possibly get them to turn on one another, which is always a great sight to see.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Nice idea. What is the X head piece?

And to the OP's original question of why the farmers are particularly reviled, it's actually a combination of cumulative factors. In my view, it's the following:

1) The host will summon at least two other players just to hang around and beat up on people.

2) All three will be high level, usually at least 120 and often up to max at sl 712.

3) Due to the mechanics of the FH covenant, they nonetheless can still be invaded in the forest by almost anyone, meaning most of the time they will be going 3v1 or 3v2 against much lower level players, while using maximum gear and "min/max" setups that look ridiculous and cliched (such as Mask of the Father, Giants Armor, and Black Knight Great Axe).

4) They typically do not bow or engage in any other generally accepted polite behavior, but rather hang around spawn locations and instantly "rush" or attack anyone who arrives.

5) They constantly either go for pivot backstabs or lagstabs, or surround players and spam with 2hd weapons.

6) After killing someone 3v1, they will spam insulting gestures as if what they did took some sort of skill.

7) When challenged, they will engage in any sort of cowardly behavior possible, including hiding behind trees to use estus flasks while their summons try to backstab you, spamming AoE spells their summons are immune to, like Wrath of the Gods (often with 9 or 12 casts, as they may be on their 3rd or 4th playthrough of the game) or flat out running away in hopes they can get more summons.

8 ) If you kill off their summons, many (at least 25%) will then disconnect the game itself rather than face you, ending the session rather than risk losing in a straight fight. That percentage goes up significantly if the host is far from the stairs area and knows he won't be able to reach it to find more summons.

9) If despite all the foregoing odds stacked against you, you kill them before the host manages to disconnect, they often will then send you hatemail calling you every name in the book and claiming you are a cheater/terrible player etc. They do this regardless of how much more skilled than them you actually are, because they just want you to send hatemail back.

In my view they truly are the worst collection of "players" in the game. On the plus side, for that very reason there's little in the game more satisfying than beating a nest of them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:30 pm

X head piece, Xanthous, King J's head piece. It is like a marker.

And Befowler, that is why I'm a forest hunter, to punish these people and have some fun. Actually we're like the Darkmoon in that regard, I guess it does fit with use being blue phantoms.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 am

Once again I'll point out that Fromsoft clearly intended invaders to be "farmed," if that's what you want to call it. They put the experience in offline play, just the same as they put in the "being invaded" experience. The ONE time you are the invader you are welcomed by three "farmers" standing there waiting to gang up on you.

I'll continue to mention this whenever I see invaders complaining about fair play (the very concept of an INVADER complaining about fair play is pretty funny, actually).

In case you're wondering, no, I do not farm. I don't do much pvp at all.
    Johannsny
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Johannsny Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:58 pm

When I was very new, (still am, but when I was even more of a noob than I am now)
    I was mercilessly destroyed by invaders while trying to find a summons to help me defeat Sif. I was killed over and over again. Until I had no more humanity left, and couldn't continue my game.

From my point of view, I have no compassion for invaders. Farm away.

Ps: I don't, I play mostly PvE with a bit of co-op here and there.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:32 pm

You do understand one can farm summons, should people be summoned to worlds as well just to be killed on the spot? This one is even more unfair, as the summons have to appear in one spot. Shall we just let the DsK community go such a foul way where farming has a blind eye turned to it?
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Well that sounds like a pretty different sort of issue, but yeah, I'd agree that pretty much sucks. The "foul way" is relative, though. If you've ever invaded some poor new player desperately trying to make their way through Sen's Fortress after a dozen deaths, killed them and gone your merry way, you may have been the final straw that made them quit the game, so it doesn't get much more foul than that.

Different strokes, I guess.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Which is why I don't kill people who look like they are having trouble, I BC out or kill myself to give them some souls or drop them an item. If I see a person in the forest who looks like either they don't know where they are, or are going for Sif I merely wave to them and BC out. I only fight people who are there for PvP purposes, their intentions ill or good. And farming people is farming people. If a host used two invaders to farm summons it is the exact same thing.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Tolvo wrote:https://youtu.be/QNdsaVr0ePA

Skip to 4 minutes in, the Farmers are kind of hard to miss.

The invader is level 136. You can see it when he goes to his menu to switch the pyro ring to the hornet ring during one his fight around 13 minutes in....which is an epic move btw, lol.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification man.

Yeah that's always a fun trick, catches a lot of people off guard when you menu switch.
    daveautomatica

Post by daveautomatica Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am

i really think most of this is just whining... i farm souls in the forest. its fun, i always bow, i usually let the host fight one on one with invaders until another invader comes and i've actually found that its usually the invaders that go for lag back stabs etc.
    theres nothing wrong with farming in the forest, just don't be a **** when you do it.
    Bamjam
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bamjam Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm

befowler wrote:
    9) If despite all the foregoing odds stacked against you, you kill them before the host manages to disconnect, they often will then send you hatemail calling you every name in the book and claiming you are a cheater/terrible player etc. They do this regardless of how much more skilled than them you actually are, because they just want you to send hatemail back.

In my view they truly are the worst collection of "players" in the game. On the plus side, for that very reason there's little in the game more satisfying than beating a nest of them.

I got this last saturday, i killed a host and 2 phantoms by being smart and luring them to alvinas house. a bit later i get a message saying that im a noob and can only fight in close quarters lol!.
    My face went like :suspect: and i just laughed to myself about how big a loser some people can be, they cant even kill me 3v1 and im the noob haha!!!
    I just send him a msg back ''MY FOREST,TAKE IT BIATCH!''
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Forest Farmers are guys who sit in packs of 3 waiting for unsuspecting invaders to come in, and then kill them in the most cheap way whilst proceeding to taunt over their incredible victory.

It takes a lot of time investment and skill to be classed as a 'true' forest farmer

.......nah lol!
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Forest Farmers are some of the lowest scum in the game they are only beaten out by the SL 10 Trolls who like to hang out in Undead burg and the Parish those types of players are scum.
    eninala

Post by eninala Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Someone has a video of himself Forest farming. It's kind of a travesty of a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StO4uShlXzE&feature=plcp&context=C4040a31VDvjVQa1PpcFPUd23V4o76a2jyeNGiDtd8_h1X_Ncj2lQ%3D
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 pm

What a great video! Totally worth it just for what happens around 1:30, plus his discovery of lloyd's talismans the hard way. I take it he was narrating this while actually playing lol.

"So we get invaded and the guy is like-JGHAAHGH"
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 pm

That guy was so bad and oblivious I'll say it was quite hilarious. Though man, what the hell my hunters? Sure it was a month ago, but come on step your game up. A guy with a Fury Sword and Eagle Shield killing people, come on! silly
    eninala

Post by eninala Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm

I got killed by a guy like this a few days ago, he was turtling behind an eagle shield and using the lightning spear. I killed his phantom and got him down to a sliver of health, but he got away when i got stuck on a ridge and he was able to summon a new phantom and flask. I got impatient and ate a hornet ring BS from the phantom. I was so embarrassed that I haven't played again since.

lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:49 pm